Astell&Kern beyerdynamic AK T8iE Review (First Impressions from IFA 2015)
Jan 14, 2016 at 11:54 PM Post #182 of 1,190

In short AKT8iE has a very intimate sound with no treble peak. It has potentials which I think the stock cable which are possibly the worst stock cable I have seen in a flagship IEM, is keeping it from performing its best.
EX-1000 still has the best soundstage, dita truth bass goes very deep however bass detail on T8iE is no toy, on low volume it has better detail extraction than both ex-1000 and dita truth.

To me the best part of the sound of T8iE is the treble which is non-intrusive and it is the kind which will not cause fatigue, along with its ease of fit.

Perhaps the worst thing about it beside the cable is getting the right tip and more importantly bass which doesn't go as deep as I want it to but reports say using a balance cable fixes the issue.

Lotoo Paw gold provided the most pairing so far for my taste, better than HUGO followed by calyx M and Mojo. 

Hi Audionewbi, Can you share more detail about the Calyx M paring with the T8iE? I really like the warm, full sound of the Calyx over the AK DAPs and FIIO. I'm currently paring it with 846 but looking for something new and engaging. One of the best parings I've heard is the LCD XC but this is not so good for travel. The DT 1350 sounds really good too, but is uncomfortable for long listening and does not have great isolation. I'm also leaning toward the JH Angie, but really like the idea of a Dynamic IEM (warm, full). Any details you can share is appreciated. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #184 of 1,190
  @audionewbi can you share anything new with us regarding the mystery cable you talked about?

Here is the cable, http://www.salehifi.com/MMCX

I couldn't get much of a chance testing it properly as I couldnt get few other cables I wanted to test. I ended up buying this full retail as it did the job great. I cannot comment on sonic as the stock cable no longer work and my sonic memory isn't good. 

Jan 17, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #185 of 1,190

Hi Audionewbi, Can you share more detail about the Calyx M paring with the T8iE? I really like the warm, full sound of the Calyx over the AK DAPs and FIIO. I'm currently paring it with 846 but looking for something new and engaging. One of the best parings I've heard is the LCD XC but this is not so good for travel. The DT 1350 sounds really good too, but is uncomfortable for long listening and does not have great isolation. I'm also leaning toward the JH Angie, but really like the idea of a Dynamic IEM (warm, full). Any details you can share is appreciated. 

In ear will sound always in ear so it cannot compete with headphone. However in larger I like the ATK8iE. But I think dita answer also does a great job if you want a warmer and detail sound. T8iE is just faster but it has a smaller depth and width and the sound isnt as 3D. 

T8iE also isolate but not too well. 

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #186 of 1,190
  Here is the cable, http://www.salehifi.com/MMCX

I couldn't get much of a chance testing it properly as I couldnt get few other cables I wanted to test. I ended up buying this full retail as it did the job great. I cannot comment on sonic as the stock cable no longer work and my sonic memory isn't good. 

Thanks for the info, will look into this.
propably get an ALO cable to test, will report about improvements.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #187 of 1,190
Thanks Audionewbi. I tried the T8ie this week at the Hong Kong airport. Although only a brief listen sound was balanced and full. I was surprised by the size which is really small. The cable is also terrible. For the price, I would want a thicker cable. The sound sig seemed balanced with nice bass and no perceived roll-off in the treble. The mids were full but a little muddied. Will this clear -up with break in or a better cable? Have you tried the spinfits with the T8ie?

Also it seems like you also like the Dita Truth, have you listened to the New Campfire Audio Lyra? At this point given the T8ie, Dita, and possibly the Lyra do you have a preferred Dynamic driver? Sorry for all the questions but I've seen you on a few message boards and seems like you and I prefer the same sound signature.

I also just heard the AKG 3003 which also sounded great but not sure about the fixed cable because it would be nice to try another cable at a later date.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #188 of 1,190
I am really itching to get the T8ie, but the several reports of failing drivers I read have me doubtful (I was really surprised too, made in germany and all that...).
I'd love some testimony of people who didn't have any issue :)

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #189 of 1,190

The T8iE really shine on the AK320. On the AK100II I like them much but needed a little help from EQ (reduced 120 and 8000Hz a little).
On the AK320 the Bass is "faster" and more defined, the highs are smoother, so I don't need EQ :)

My old Shure SE846, sound boring in comparison! 

The reservation against it are substantial. My left driver mutes sometimes. It's not the cable! It is also not reproducible when moving the cable or connector. I have to send them back for repair and hope for their good will.

Jan 21, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #190 of 1,190
The reservation against it are substantial. My left driver mutes sometimes. It's not the cable! It is also not reproducible when moving the cable or connector. I have to send them back for repair and hope for their good will.

Exactly the kind of reports I have been reading about (two people reported on french forums) an have me weary of ordering, strange as I think it was also the left driver... 

You'd think a TOTL built in Germany would not suffer from QA or design issue...

How long have you had them?

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #191 of 1,190

Exactly the kind of reports I have been reading about (two people reported on french forums) an have me weary of ordering, strange as I think it was also the left driver... 

You'd think a TOTL built in Germany would not suffer from QA or design issue...

How long have you had them?

I own them for over a month, the first failure happened after the first listening hours. It occurs not too often.

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #192 of 1,190
  I own them for over a month, the failure happened after the first listening hours.

Strange, exactly the issue that @DarktoreS had with his first pair, he had it changed and I think the new one is ok despite cable issue he had afterwards...

I really don't understand how AK/Beyer can release a product that seems to have many ocurences of the issue among the few who got it... kind of is a show stopper right now

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:21 AM Post #193 of 1,190

Strange, exactly the issue that @DarktoreS had with his first pair, he had it changed and I think the new one is ok despite cable issue he had afterwards...

I really don't understand how AK/Beyer can release a product that seems to have many ocurences of the issue among the few who got it... kind of is a show stopper right now

It was a very new category with tesla and construction for Beyerdynamic. So the very first are early adopters. I was aware that this can happen. But I trust Beyer/AK to show there special good will for "us". I do not regret, I love the sound and concept.

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #194 of 1,190
It was a very new category with tesla and construction for Beyerdynamic. So the very first are early adopters. I was aware that this can happen. But I trust Beyer/AK to show there special good will for "us". I do not regret, I love the sound and concept.

Well the concept if very interesting indeed and impressions make you want to get it :)
But if the 1K thing breaks a few hours after you get it, it's really scary...

Who is handling the warranty, AK I guess?

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:38 AM Post #195 of 1,190
  I am really itching to get the T8ie, but the several reports of failing drivers I read have me doubtful (I was really surprised too, made in germany and all that...).
I'd love some testimony of people who didn't have any issue :)

Mine had lived forever since its release and still perfectly healthy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back