Astell&Kern Announces the AK300 and AK Recorder (5.6MHz DSD Recorder) at Tokyo Headphone Festival
Jun 9, 2016 at 1:22 PM Post #151 of 1,018
Nice review.

Someone said the difference was quite big between the two but im happy to hear thats not the case

Jun 9, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #152 of 1,018
Nice review.

Someone said the difference was quite big between the two but im happy to hear thats not the case

I found the difference to be quite obvious.  If you can't hear the difference, wonderful!  Save yourself $900.  But to me, there's definitely a difference.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #154 of 1,018
And your test was both blind and properly (read: not by ear) level matched I assume?

Poor assumption.  It was at a show so I could do neither of those things.  I will point out that I heard almost no difference where I wanted to hear one (AK100ii to AK300) and significant difference where I wanted to hear none (AK300 to AK320).  And as I said, I will be doing a full review when I get my review units and I'll be testing a lot more rigorously than one can in a show environment.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions about the validity of my tests vs the guy who couldn't hear a difference.  As always, the best test is using your own ears.  Barring that, you'll just have to wait for more people to test and see what kind of consensus develops. 

The only reason I reiterated my point is because I hate reading statements that are so obviously confirmation bias:

Quote:

This person disregarded my testing completely as soon as a single person said what s/he wanted to hear.  At that point, why even read reviews?  Just get what you had your mind set on to begin with.

Jun 9, 2016 at 3:20 PM Post #155 of 1,018
My AK300 is arriving tomorrow.  I'm upgrading from an older AK120.  Will post some brief comments on the sound quality differences I hear between the two.  I have no experience with the AK320/380 etc.  They are simply more than I am willing to spend on a portable player.  

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:14 PM Post #157 of 1,018
Poor assumption.  It was at a show so I could do neither of those things.  I will point out that I heard almost no difference where I wanted to hear one (AK100ii to AK300) and significant difference where I wanted to hear none (AK300 to AK320).  And as I said, I will be doing a full review when I get my review units and I'll be testing a lot more rigorously than one can in a show environment.

Feel free to draw your own conclusions about the validity of my tests vs the guy who couldn't hear a difference.  As always, the best test is using your own ears.  Barring that, you'll just have to wait for more people to test and see what kind of consensus develops. 

The only reason I reiterated my point is because I hate reading statements that are so obviously confirmation bias:

This person disregarded my testing completely as soon as a single person said what s/he wanted to hear.  At that point, why even read reviews?  Just get what you had your mind set on to begin with.

No id just rather listen to the guy that tested them at home than at a show. No reason to get testy...

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #158 of 1,018
No id just rather listen to the guy that tested them at home than at a show. No reason to get testy...

And did you ask him if he volume matched and blind tested?  Or did you just assume?  In his review he specifically says that he didn't blind test.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:47 PM Post #159 of 1,018

And did you ask him if he volume matched and blind tested?  Or did you just assume?  In his review he specifically says that he didn't blind test.w yh​W

Why would I do that?
And why do you care?

Jun 9, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #160 of 1,018
[Mod hat on]
Folks are getting testy here. Recommend just take this offline or block each other.

Move on from this topic please.
[/Mod hat off]

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:22 AM Post #161 of 1,018
Any comparisons between the AK100ii and the AK300 yet? I'm eyeing the 300 but I'm going to hold back first till I can get some opinions/impressions from others or have a listen to the 300 when I have the time. I don't want to spend another 800 dollars if it sounds only slightly better than the 100ii that I already own (I don't care much for the looks of the 300; the AK100ii already looks good enough to me) :)

Jun 10, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #162 of 1,018
Any comparisons between the AK100ii and the AK300 yet? I'm eyeing the 300 but I'm going to hold back first till I can get some opinions/impressions from others or have a listen to the 300 when I have the time. I don't want to spend another 800 dollars if it sounds only slightly better than the 100ii that I already own (I don't care much for the looks of the 300; the AK100ii already looks good enough to me)
smily_headphones1.gif

And looks like  you'll need to continue holding out further until more and more controlled reviews surface on a comparison of the two.

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #163 of 1,018
Any comparisons between the AK100ii and the AK300 yet? I'm eyeing the 300 but I'm going to hold back first till I can get some opinions/impressions from others or have a listen to the 300 when I have the time. I don't want to spend another 800 dollars if it sounds only slightly better than the 100ii that I already own (I don't care much for the looks of the 300; the AK100ii already looks good enough to me)
smily_headphones1.gif

I compared them at THE Show.  For my money, the 300 is not worth the upgrade for SQ alone.  If you want the faster clock and bigger screen and accessory compatibility and such, it's a nice upgrade from the 100ii.  But SQ-wise, they're very very similar.

And as mentioned, I'll be doing a formal review for Audio-head.com.  Once I get my review unit in, I'll be able to give a more thorough comparison.

Jun 10, 2016 at 6:40 AM Post #165 of 1,018
And looks like  you'll need to continue holding out further until more and more controlled reviews surface on a comparison of the two.

I'll be (im)patiently holding out then... :D Nothing wrong with he sound quality of the AK100II - in fact I thing it synergises quite well with my CIEMs that I'm using right now. Just the (bi)annual upgraditis kicking in, haha.

I compared them at THE Show.  For my money, the 300 is not worth the upgrade for SQ alone.  If you want the faster clock and bigger screen and accessory compatibility and such, it's a nice upgrade from the 100ii.  But SQ-wise, they're very very similar.

And as mentioned, I'll be doing a formal review for Audio-head.com.  Once I get my review unit in, I'll be able to give a more thorough comparison.

Thanks for your input. I think I just heard my wallet heave a sigh lf relief. Anyway, ifI'm not wrong, demo units of the AK300 should be arriving in my country (SG) soon, if not already. I'll personally compare them both then. Looking forward to your review!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back