Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #331 of 1,058
First post - Yay!

I ordered the AK70 MKII yesterday from AMP3 and apparently it's on its way. It's an upgrade from the AK Jr, so i'm hoping for big things!

I'm looking for some advice on IEMs to go with it. I'm currently using Soundmagic E80s with Comply foam tips. So I'm looking for a decent upgrade, but i'm not looking to spend crazy money - maybe £200 - £300. Which is crazy money in any other world, but not here! I'm happy to stick with unbalanced, but i'd like the option to go to a balanced cable in the future. Oh, and they need to be physically robust as they will get shoved in and out of my rucksack.

Any tips please?

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #332 of 1,058
I forgive you. :wink:

Unfortunately, I just realized that neither the OPUS#2 or the AK70ii have a line out, a feature that even my budget (comparatively speaking) Hidizs dap had from a few years ago. It appears that some companies nowadays are including balanced output at the expense of the line out feature which is an unfortunate trend. Not everyone needs a line out but then not everyone needs a balanced out. Bravo to A&K for including it on the KANN. I think I may be able to live with a little warmth (muddiness?) in the low end.

I actually just received my OPUS#2 in the mail, and the manual does indeed indicate that it has a line out feature. Just fyi.

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:00 PM Post #333 of 1,058
I actually just received my OPUS#2 in the mail, and the manual does indeed indicate that it has a line out feature. Just fyi.

Do you see a line out jack? This is what is listed on their website:

opus.PNG

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:24 PM Post #334 of 1,058
My aging and beaten Fiio X5 first gen is getting really slow ever since I got it at launch, after holding off my upgrade for so long today I decided it is the day..

and pre-ordered the Fate/SN Heaven's Feel edition :darthsmile: I loved the movie, and of course the purple.. man I couldn't resist, now the wait begins.. 3 weeks until I can get it

*Not my pics - from iriver's twitter*
DMBwU-eUMAEIWJL.jpg
Very nice!! How did you pre-order this special version? Do they ship it to US?

Oct 25, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #335 of 1,058
I forgive you. :wink:

Unfortunately, I just realized that neither the OPUS#2 or the AK70ii have a line out, a feature that even my budget (comparatively speaking) Hidizs dap had from a few years ago. It appears that some companies nowadays are including balanced output at the expense of the line out feature which is an unfortunate trend. Not everyone needs a line out but then not everyone needs a balanced out. Bravo to A&K for including it on the KANN. I think I may be able to live with a little warmth (muddiness?) in the low end.
While the AK70 MK II does not have separate line out and headphone out like the AK KANN, the AK70 MK II does do line out. You would enable line out output via the settings menu.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Oct 25, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #336 of 1,058
While the AK70 MK II does not have separate line out and headphone out like the AK KANN, the AK70 MK II does do line out. You would enable line out output via the settings menu.

Thanks for the clarification Jason. Does this setting bypass the amplifier section? Does it work the same way on your higher end DAPs?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #338 of 1,058
As with the AK70mkii, you can get a line out in settings. It's an optical line out (whatever that is) and hijacks (pun intended) the 3.5mm headphone port.

If I'm correct the optical out outputs the bit stream data not the analogue audio signal. It's not something that could be fed to an external amp which is something I want the option of doing.

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #341 of 1,058
Very nice!! How did you pre-order this special version? Do they ship it to US?
I am currently living in Tokyo so I just pre-ordered at one of the bic camera stores, I'm not sure if they do international shipping.. However there are many stores that are taking pre-orders so maybe one of them would ship to US? Also there are plenty of proxies in Hong Kong, but of course for a marked up price :triportsad:

The other thing I'm currently looking at is getting a balanced cable for my aurisonics asg 2.5.. Anyone has any suggestions?

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #342 of 1,058
I am currently living in Tokyo so I just pre-ordered at one of the bic camera stores, I'm not sure if they do international shipping.. However there are many stores that are taking pre-orders so maybe one of them would ship to US? Also there are plenty of proxies in Hong Kong, but of course for a marked up price :triportsad:
Thank you, @havenlau, for the info. I already have a AK70mk2 but this coloring and design would be great for my daughter. I will look for a way to import...

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #343 of 1,058
Thank you, @havenlau, for the info. I already have a AK70mk2 but this coloring and design would be great for my daughter. I will look for a way to import...
Model father right here!
Just as a side note the promotion runs until 11/17 and there are 1500 units, I'm not sure what the demand is but I'm sure your daughter will love it haha. best of luck with the import.

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #345 of 1,058
Just got mine earlier today - definite improvement over the mk 1 - bluetooth seems better as well with my B+W PX. Can anyone please answer - is there a screen protector already applied on both sides - wasn't certain?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back