Astell & Kern AK70 MKII with dual DAC
Oct 22, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #316 of 1,058
Living in Europe there are numerous posters here who have tried up to a dozen different cables and non have worked. I don't want nor need that sort of run around. The Oppo should work out of the box. Whats more Oppo are well aware of this problem and have not resolved it by adding any new cable in the box. Oppo have the nerve in the UK to offer to sell the public a cable also pay P+P!!

Not good customer consumer behaviour from Oppo. Very poor show.

Ryland
Im from Africa and bought the cable for 6usd and its working and i agree with you on oppo being cheap and selling the cable to their customers

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #319 of 1,058
Living in Europe there are numerous posters here who have tried up to a dozen different cables and non have worked. I don't want nor need that sort of run around. The Oppo should work out of the box. Whats more Oppo are well aware of this problem and have not resolved it by adding any new cable in the box. Oppo have the nerve in the UK to offer to sell the public a cable also pay P+P!!

Not good customer consumer behaviour from Oppo. Very poor show.

Ryland

Sorry to hear the trouble you may have with the oppo device, but can we back on the topic which is the A&K 70mk2?

Sure some other head-fiers can help you in the oppo threads.

Btw, most AK DAP have USB-DAC function including the AK70mk2 but don't know if it works on iPhone or Android. It works with PC for sure.
But in your case sourcing a portable amplifier such as Sony PHA series seems like a better option.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #320 of 1,058
So going back to the AK70 MKII.... It works fantastic with portable full sized headphones like the Oppo PM-2 or the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 line. This one is actually an Audio Zenith PMx2 (modded Oppo PM-2). The balanced output of 4vrms drives these cans amazingly well.

IMG_4438.JPG

Oct 23, 2017 at 2:48 PM Post #321 of 1,058
I’ve just preordered from advancedmp3players (says expecting stock on October 27) - using Top Cashback I got a 10% voucher code and an additional 6% cashback on top, reducing the price by about £90. I’ve only had my mk1 for ten months, but thought if I’m going to sell it now would be the best time.

Oct 23, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #323 of 1,058
I have a Kann and a Opus#2. I rate Opus#2 > Kann and you can hear the differences, ie., not subtle differences.

I've read elsewhere that the KANN and the Opus are two very different sounding DAPs - the KANN being a little on the warm side and the Opus on the technical, less emotional side. How much does your own preference weigh into this rating? Since many people have been asking can you elaborate further?

Rant: It's absolutely astounding to me that for a DAP costing over $1000 the distributor of the Opus will not accept returns on their DAPs even though they appear wanting to move it with the current sale price. Nor does Musicteck have a loner program to make them accessible in some way. Potential buyers should not have to solely rely on printed words to make this decision.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 4:44 PM Post #325 of 1,058
I've read elsewhere that the KANN and the Opus are two very different sounding DAPs - the KANN being a little on the warm side and the Opus on the technical, less emotional side. How much does your own preference weigh into this rating? Since many people have been asking can you elaborate further?

I can only speak for my experience, there are experts in giving assessments on this regard. Kann is warmer that is true, a bit muddy on the lower end but it gives you a feeling of more body to the music. Opus#2 on is crystal clear on high and the stage is much wider than Kann, surprisingly that it does not sound thin. When bass in a music is strong, Opus#2 delivers it with strong bass. To me, Opus#2 is more analytical and accurate. I must say that I used Utopia on these two DAPs and both are pleasing to my ears except Opus#2 is more detailed and cool, your mileage will vary depend on the headphones you use. I actually like the sound signature of Opus#2 so I am biased. Maybe I should not review Opus#2 and Kann in a AK70 MKII thread but please forgive me.

Oct 23, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #326 of 1,058
So going back to the AK70 MKII.... It works fantastic with portable full sized headphones like the Oppo PM-2 or the Massdrop/Fostex TH-X00 line. This one is actually an Audio Zenith PMx2 (modded Oppo PM-2). The balanced output of 4vrms drives these cans amazingly well.

I like you setup. WA7 looks stunning in the picture!

Oct 23, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #327 of 1,058
Can anyone with this player listen with the Andromeda and see if it changes the sound alot due to the output impedance? I have a Shanling M2s (4.8 ohm output impedance) and paired with the Andromeda the bass sounds so flabby to me. Thanks.

Oct 23, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #328 of 1,058
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:32 AM Post #329 of 1,058
My aging and beaten Fiio X5 first gen is getting really slow ever since I got it at launch, after holding off my upgrade for so long today I decided it is the day..

and pre-ordered the Fate/SN Heaven's Feel edition :darthsmile: I loved the movie, and of course the purple.. man I couldn't resist, now the wait begins.. 3 weeks until I can get it

*Not my pics - from iriver's twitter*
DMBwU-eUMAEIWJL.jpg

Oct 25, 2017 at 11:30 AM Post #330 of 1,058
I can only speak for my experience, there are experts in giving assessments on this regard. Kann is warmer that is true, a bit muddy on the lower end but it gives you a feeling of more body to the music. Opus#2 on is crystal clear on high and the stage is much wider than Kann, surprisingly that it does not sound thin. When bass in a music is strong, Opus#2 delivers it with strong bass. To me, Opus#2 is more analytical and accurate. I must say that I used Utopia on these two DAPs and both are pleasing to my ears except Opus#2 is more detailed and cool, your mileage will vary depend on the headphones you use. I actually like the sound signature of Opus#2 so I am biased. Maybe I should not review Opus#2 and Kann in a AK70 MKII thread but please forgive me.

I forgive you. :wink:

Unfortunately, I just realized that neither the OPUS#2 or the AK70ii have a line out, a feature that even my budget (comparatively speaking) Hidizs dap had from a few years ago. It appears that some companies nowadays are including balanced output at the expense of the line out feature which is an unfortunate trend. Not everyone needs a line out but then not everyone needs a balanced out. Bravo to A&K for including it on the KANN. I think I may be able to live with a little warmth (muddiness?) in the low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back