Astell&Kern AK380
Mar 8, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #8,132 of 9,040
  And Sony Wm1z on top with ak380 cu? :)

The 1Z is slightly ahead and I will give 60% to 1Z and 40% to CU.  But much of it is taste difference.  IF you like thicker and warmer sound your will like 1Z but for more airier cleaner sound the CU is ahead.

Mar 9, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #8,139 of 9,040
Can someone at Head-Fi not organise a scientific blind test of all the various AK380s to put this matter to bed once and for all?

They'd all have to be run-in for the same time, using same phones and tracks / files etc and - I don't know - about 10no guinea pigs?

Please - someone organise.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:18 AM Post #8,140 of 9,040
But then someone would want a blind test on USB cables, and on burn in, and on HiRes v's Mp3, etc etc, and very soon the whole world of Hi Res audio would implode and we'd all be listening to Spotify on our phones!

No, best leave such scientific analysis ideas alone!

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:52 AM Post #8,141 of 9,040
For me the ranking goes like this: AK380CU > RWAK240SS > Hugo > Mojo > X5iii > DP-X1

Yes. It's quite shocking when I realised just how poor the DP-X1 was. In a vacuum, they sounded pretty decent, but after spending ~4 hours comparing my DAPs together, I've come to the conclusion that it's not that good at all. I'd certainly pick, say, the X5iii over the DP-X1 anytime.

Mar 9, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #8,142 of 9,040
  But then someone would want a blind test on USB cables, and on burn in, and on HiRes v's Mp3, etc etc, and very soon the whole world of Hi Res audio would implode and we'd all be listening to Spotify on our phones!

No, best leave such scientific analysis ideas alone!

Yep. It'll never end. We can have the exact same equipment on test, and some would claim a difference owing purely to manufacturing differences. It's better to simply enjoy your gear.

Mar 9, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #8,144 of 9,040
Well, I heard through the grapevine that there is some top management shake up at AK. AK sales has gone down quite abit lately partially probably is because of the release of the Sony Walkman. AK is suppose to work on the next version of totl dap and Introduce sometime this year may be at the Munich Audio Festival. I don't know how things will turn out.

Personally, I think the 380CU is the best version of the 380 series. But the Sony 1Z does have better balance implementation, better amp section and better battery set up. Things will be interesting for the next few months. I don't know if AK is under pressure to announce some new products. I like to hear something by Socal Can Jam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back