1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Astell&Kern AK380

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by Dopaminer, Apr 22, 2015.
First

Back
533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542
544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553
Next

Last
  1. xxx1313

​Not the volume capped version available here in Europe! :wink:

2. Jalo
    The 1Z is slightly ahead and I will give 60% to 1Z and 40% to CU.  But much of it is taste difference.  IF you like thicker and warmer sound your will like 1Z but for more airier cleaner sound the CU is ahead.

3. LouisArmstrong

No way - AK380Cu is still the best. The best of the best of the best.

4. haiku

How do you know? Have you listened to the AK380SS already?

5. LouisArmstrong

Yes. And the black. Both of them lack the lushness that the AK380Cu gives. 

6. haiku

Ok, thanks.

7. sawrym

This is just your personal opinion so claim it like it's your personal opinion, not overall statement.

For me "lushness" isn't the factor to determine " the best" ...

8. xxx1313
    A more natural sound is a factor to determine "the best". The CU sounds more real to me, so the CU is still the best.

LouisArmstrong likes this.
  9. Uncle Monty
    Can someone at Head-Fi not organise a scientific blind test of all the various AK380s to put this matter to bed once and for all?

They'd all have to be run-in for the same time, using same phones and tracks / files etc and - I don't know - about 10no guinea pigs?

Please - someone organise.

10. corius
    But then someone would want a blind test on USB cables, and on burn in, and on HiRes v's Mp3, etc etc, and very soon the whole world of Hi Res audio would implode and we'd all be listening to Spotify on our phones!

No, best leave such scientific analysis ideas alone!

11. Malevolent

Yes. It's quite shocking when I realised just how poor the DP-X1 was. In a vacuum, they sounded pretty decent, but after spending ~4 hours comparing my DAPs together, I've come to the conclusion that it's not that good at all. I'd certainly pick, say, the X5iii over the DP-X1 anytime.

12. Malevolent

Yep. It'll never end. We can have the exact same equipment on test, and some would claim a difference owing purely to manufacturing differences. It's better to simply enjoy your gear.

TaylorDawe likes this.
  13. raypin
    Mm...love using the DPX1 in ACG mode and connected to the CDM balanced in.

14. Jalo
    Well, I heard through the grapevine that there is some top management shake up at AK. AK sales has gone down quite abit lately partially probably is because of the release of the Sony Walkman. AK is suppose to work on the next version of totl dap and Introduce sometime this year may be at the Munich Audio Festival. I don't know how things will turn out.

Personally, I think the 380CU is the best version of the 380 series. But the Sony 1Z does have better balance implementation, better amp section and better battery set up. Things will be interesting for the next few months. I don't know if AK is under pressure to announce some new products. I like to hear something by Socal Can Jam.

15. TaylorDawe
    My thoughts exactly.

First

Back
533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542
544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553
Next

Last