Astell&Kern AK380
Sep 24, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #6,496 of 9,040
@Mimouille, watch the popcorn. They make you fat. Ahahahahaha! But who am I kidding. I’m a sucker for good popcorn too so bring em’!

@Jalo, no you did not come across as a griller. Not the slightest bit. You and I have had a nice chat around the Piccolino cables and I enjoyed our chat. Never once did I take your post (or any previous ones for that matter) negatively. I have to agree with both AnakChan and yourself that familiarity with a gear is a very, very important and legitimate factor when reviewing them. It takes a bit of time to learn about a new gear in and out before you can reliably put forth any credible thoughts on them. I think having spent many great moments with mine for a little over half a year, puts me in a position to safely share a thing or two without blowing things out of proportion. Ultimately, my goal is to share and contribute as much as I can objectively and in return also learn new things from you guys. This is after all our community folks 
cool.gif

@klove4252, ok, since you asked and for the fun of it:

On testing day, I wore a cotton collared checkered Timberland shirt (combination of white and red), a pair of dark Navy blue Levis 501 jeans, Levis belt, Nike black cotton socks and a pair of Dr. Marten’s boots. Complete with my Tag Heuer Formula 1 watch and a Mi-Band fitness tracker. I won’t go into briefs. Too personal unless you wear a skirt, have great legs and a hot body
biggrin.gif
 The weather was hot with clear skies. According to my Mi-Band sleep tracking history, I had a little over 6 hours of sleep from the night before. I’d like to also think my head was clear that day – I was on leave for the week, had great sleep, never felt better. I had one venti Java Chip Frappuccino before and during testing. After the test, I had a venti Americano. I don’t remember what my friend wore and don’t give a rat’s ***** really since he’s a d!ck, is fat and has hairy legs. Not my type. I’d like to say the Copper is better too given the difference I forked out for it but after the blindfolded test, I cannot, in good faith, maintain that. BUT, I sure as hell will say that the Copper, in my personal opinion, looks leaps and bound more attractive than the regular AK380. That is until it oxidizes and starts looking like a piece of sh!t.

Truth be told, I have been reflecting a lot since the blindfolded test and I can say this much. Think of it as two identical cars, one with a $2000 limited-edition premium over the other. The $2000 option, in return, gives the buyer uber-plush Nappa leather seats and trimming, automatic glare reduction sensors, automatic wiper / rain sensors, front and rear cameras. Nice luxuries. Looks great. Feels great. It looks and feels like the better car of the two...and it should given the $2000 premium! However, in a real life performance and technicality test, it’s not going to outperform the other car. Both cars will have the exact same 0-62, quarter mile, top speed and mileage numbers. Regardless, there will always be a market for both models. One who feel they get the same performance for less money and one who feel the $2000 luxuries and exclusivity are worth paying for to compliment the ride. Neither cannot be labeled right or wrong and neither will ever see the rationality of the other party – guy A says I get the same performance for $2000 less while guy B says, you’ve already come this far, what’s another $2000 for exclusivity? In the end, as many on this community has rightfully said, there is no need to justify your purchase. As long as you are happy with your purchase and enjoy your stuff, who’s to say anything?

Have a blast of a weekend everyone and happy listening!

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:17 AM Post #6,497 of 9,040
Can some Cu owners post some pics of it before its regular polishing? Thanks.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #6,498 of 9,040
Can some Cu owners post some pics of it before its regular polishing? Thanks.

These are a couple of pics from an owner / retailer who was trying to convince me why I shouldn't get the Copper:

But I listened not because a polished one was just too darn beautiful to not have. Sorry the pics are a little blurry but they're all I've got. I'll keep in mind to snap a couple of mine when it oxidizes.

Sep 24, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #6,499 of 9,040
Mmm...by all means, discuss. But words are words. The proof is in your PERSONAL listening. Personally, when the issue is debatable and, therefore, inconclusive, I put around 10% value on what others say about what they hear and 90% to what I hear.
That is true, I always trust my ears more than words. But I couldn't compare side by side so far. So I am taking in testimonials. And I put more credit in people who did the blind vs. non blind testing than in people who say, CU sounds better, that's it.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #6,501 of 9,040
Hey guys, can anyone from Europe chime in?

I'd like to know where you'd buy an AK380 copper from and for what price? I mean, how much would it cost to get one (new) from the EU?

If others got one already (new and second hand), I'd love to know where you got it from and for how much.

Sep 24, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #6,502 of 9,040
Hey guys, can anyone from Europe chime in?

I'd like to know where you'd buy an AK380 copper from and for what price? I mean, how much would it cost to get one (new) from the EU?

If others got one already (new and second hand), I'd love to know where you got it from and for how much.

Try audiosanctuary.co.uk
Prices are on their page.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:19 AM Post #6,504 of 9,040
Mmm.....those pics are spot on. That is about as bad as it will look after several days or left untouched for awhile. But with the right polish, 15 minutes is all you need to restore to new look.

Sep 24, 2016 at 6:54 AM Post #6,505 of 9,040
Originally Posted by Traveller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The firmware 1.25 added manual selection of balanced and unbalanced, I suppose as a reaction after tons of users RMA their units for hardware maintenance of the stuck in balanced mode issue. I just sent in my 380 to the local distributor and now they tell me this -_- 
...Is this "workaround" 100% effective?  ...  So what are we talking about here, a defective 3.5mm jack's auto-sense (/impedance-based) switch?

Anyone...
confused.gif

Originally Posted by Eroica4th /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Let's say for a minute that copper sounds different...  2- does it necessary mean it is the copper housing that makes this difference?

Damn good question. Although there may be little reason to do so, there is nothing stopping A&K "tweaking" the signature of each of their 3xx DAPs ... ever-so-slightly... .
Here is one "tweak" that can probably be done with one line of FW code...

Interesting "interview" about a collab between Teac & AKM (from 2015).
What struck me most was the 5 "sound-tuning" options available with the AK4490 chip...
Untitled.png

Makes me wonder how A&K configured them* for the 300/320/380.
*Teac also went for a DAC-per-Channel cfg as is the case with the 320/380s...

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:02 AM Post #6,507 of 9,040
Originally Posted by etteoh /img/forum/go_quote.gif...

...patina, baby!!!
cool.gif

Panerai PAM382 "Bronzo" (yes, bronze, not Cu) - photo c/o Watchonista
pam382_bronzo_patina_1.jpg

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #6,508 of 9,040
So it is never irreversible. Have any one of you tried treating the copper?

Michael, I can see into your heart, you are really in love with the Cu aren't you? Your mind tells you black but your heart is really with the cu:) Just see how big a relieve you have after you read about the blind test I know how much it weighs on you:D Stop resisting your secret desire and you'll be whole and free of any complex. You're a classy man that loves all things beautiful. The tarnish thing is just an excuse, and to give a beautiful woman a naked bath with your bare hand once every six months will never prevent you from appreciate her beauty or reduce your enjoyment of her, something only us cu owners will know. The sooner you surrender to your urges and come over to the dark side the more blissful you'll become. I'll even admit to you that I paid less for my new cu than the regular one if it will help:)

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #6,509 of 9,040
Thanks @etteoh, It sounds like based on your information that your test holds up. I'm going to fly to the AK/iriver hq and demand a refund of 500 bucks.

In all seriousness, I apologize if I offended anyone with my previous post with sarcasm. I've never tried the normal AK380, and I bought the Cu because I figured if I was spending over 3K USD, I might as well spend the extra 500 for a "newer" style. I have no idea if the copper sounds better, and if the black was available at the time of my purchase i probably would have bought that because I like the look. The AK380 is an amazing DAP, and I'm very happy with my purchase. The only thing I regret is scratching up my Dignis case, and I'm to lazy to buy a new one.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:39 AM Post #6,510 of 9,040
Michael, I can see into your heart, you are really in love with the Cu aren't you? Your mind tells you black but your heart is really with the cu:) Just see how big a relieve you have after you read about the blind test I know how much it weighs on you:D Stop resisting your secret desire and you'll be whole and free of any complex. You're a classy man that loves all things beautiful. The tarnish thing is just an excuse, and to give a beautiful woman a naked bath with your bare hand once every six months will never prevent you from appreciate her beauty or reduce your enjoyment of her, something only us cu owners will know. The sooner you surrender to your urges and come over to the dark side the more blissful you'll become. I'll even admit to you that I paid less for my new cu than the regular one if it will help:)
Hum...I will bear this in mind :D but I do like the black as much. I do like the feel of the copper. I used to have the AK240SS and loved it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back