Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 7, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #5,479 of 9,040
Mmm.....optical/line-out (DAP side) works even if the DAP is docked on the amp. Amp deactivated.

Mmm.... Thanks Ray! You've been really helpful around these parts.

Anyone here using the Zeus-R? Does it hiss at all with the 380 / 380cu?

Local distro allowed me take back the demo for a few days. No hiss at all on my 380.

Jun 7, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #5,481 of 9,040

Great summary of the RWAK mod, this is exactly what I experienced when I had the standard AK380+AMP modified 
biggrin.gif

Redwine mod for Copper AK380 and Copper Amp

Been swamped with work and family so don’t have time for a full written review, but I thought I would atleast post some of my thoughts on the mod.   I have about 95 hours and about 3-4 weeks on it and here are things I’ve noticed that the mod brings.  Not trying to start an argument of the benefits of the mod or the copper housing, etc, just posting what I hear and my thoughts.  Take it with a grain of salt or base your buying decision on it, to each his own.

These comments are using the AK+amp with my Hifiman Edition X and Moon Audio Black dragon cable running balanced.   These improvements are noticeable with my Roxannes and Jh16s, but nowhere as much as with the Edition X.  Same goes for most of the equipment I’ve heard in the last 10 years, improvement/differences are just more noticeable with full size headphones vs IEMs

• The entire spectrum has improved, bass mids highs. 
  • Bass goes deeper and hits tighter.  I’ve noticed bass notes in songs I’ve been listening to for years that I didn’t hear before.  This is some of the best bass and it does’t over power the other spectrum and its only called upon when the song has it.
  • Soundstage has improved drastically.  Much more open.
  • There is an effortless feel to the sound that I didn’t quite get b4 the mod.  I made this bold because I don't know how to describe it better, but this is one of the biggest advantages of the mod. 
  • B4 the mod, I did notice that some highs were sibilant, actually on a lot of songs, and after the mod, none whatsoever.  I think this has a lot to do with the cheap ribbons cable and connectors that are used in the balance path that the mod replaces with Litz copper.
  • Micro details, Micro details, Micro details, Micro details, did I mention micro details- wow, tons and tons.  Details i’ve never heard before in songs i’ve listened to for years.  This has a lot to do with grounding to the copper housing as it gets rid of majority of noise (noise I didn’t know existed until it was gone) and the mod just brings more of the details up front.  There were tons of details b4 the mod, but after, I just hear more of them and hear them clearly.   
  • Somehow, the sound stays neutral while still sounding very musical.  I was comparing to my ALO dual mono (using the ak as source) and what I notice is that with the CDM as the amp,  almost all the songs sound nearly the same.  Bass is pronounced, mids are great, etc etc.  Song after song, they have nearly the same signature.  With the AK, each song is its own and sound very different from one another.  Songs that emphasize bass, its more pronounced there, songs that emphasize cymbals, its more pronounced there, so each song is very different on the AK, a real pleasure to re-listen to your entire library cause you get to hear it in a way you didn’t before. With the CDM they all sound very similar.  I think the Plussound 8-wire copper interconnect I was using between the ak and CDM has a lot to do with changing/coloring the sound signature.  If you want a very neutral, uncolored sound that is also very musical, then playing straight from the ak amp is probably the best choice.
  • I’m selling my CDM.  I’ve gone back and forth and actually prefer using the ak with the ak amp vs the CDM.  There’s just something to the sound with the RWAKcu+amp that gets lost with the CDM as the amp.
  • Before the mod, I actually preferred the CDM cause I found the sound from the AK to be not as “full” sounding as I liked, after the mod, the CDM is going up for sale.
  • The mod has done exactly what I was hoping for, make the 380 my one and only go to source/amp.   

Edit : Forgot to add, Highs sound more natural.  Cymbal hits actually sound like real cymbals.  Again, I think this has to do with the ribbon cable that was removed.  Before, highs had a little metallic sound to it that is no longer present.

I opted not to get the Redwine Labels put on the Copper ak or amp.

onlychild,

Beautiful accurate and articulate summary of exactly what both Apina and I have both experience!  I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner but I've dropped off of HeadFi about a month ago and I'm just starting the monumental task of trying to play catching up.  The RWAK mods are the single biggest sound improvement you can make to an already unbelievable pocket portable player.    

Jun 7, 2016 at 11:19 PM Post #5,483 of 9,040
onlychild,

Beautiful accurate and articulate summary of exactly what both Apina and I have both experience!  I'm sorry I didn't reply sooner but I've dropped off of HeadFi about a month ago and I'm just starting the monumental task of trying to play catching up.  The RWAK mods are the single biggest sound improvement you can make to an already unbelievable pocket portable player.    

Alpina, Onlychild and Speedracer, I have a question on the RWAK mod, if I were to RW mod my 380cu and if I am only using iems in balance mode, is there any need to get the cu amp at all? If there is enough power and swing to drive the iems in balance mode after the mod, why is there any need to get the amp?

Jun 8, 2016 at 2:37 AM Post #5,484 of 9,040
Mmm......this morning, my 380 cu got stuck on  the balanced output, even if I was using the 3.5 mm cable. It would not change back to unbal. So, I inserted my 2.5 mm interconnect, making sure it is properly seated in the port. Then removed it and inserted a 3.5 mm interconnect. 380 cu now back to unbal.

Jun 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #5,485 of 9,040
Great for future reference thanks. It has happened to couple other members before, I hope AK take notes and fix this problem in the future.

Jun 8, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #5,487 of 9,040
Alpina, Onlychild and Speedracer, I have a question on the RWAK mod, if I were to RW mod my 380cu and if I am only using iems in balance mode, is there any need to get the cu amp at all? If there is enough power and swing to drive the iems in balance mode after the mod, why is there any need to get the amp?

I post the same question above to Vinnie at RWA and this is his take.

Jalo: "If the 380cu mod is as good as you describe on the website, and if I only use iems for my listening, meaning if there is enough power and swing to drive my iems sufficiently, is there any reason or need to get the 380 amp?"

With IEMS, I see no reason why you need the 380 amp.  The RWAK380cu sounds sublime - you will love it with IEM's if you already
know that the 380 is powerful enough for your iems.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Jun 8, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #5,488 of 9,040
  I post the same question above to Vinnie at RWA and this is his take.

Jalo: "If the 380cu mod is as good as you describe on the website, and if I only use iems for my listening, meaning if there is enough power and swing to drive my iems sufficiently, is there any reason or need to get the 380 amp?"

With IEMS, I see no reason why you need the 380 amp.  The RWAK380cu sounds sublime - you will love it with IEM's if you already
know that the 380 is powerful enough for your iems.

Best regards,

Vinnie

Sublime. Simply sublime.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:22 PM Post #5,489 of 9,040
Dignis Design has the Scutum case for the 380/amp combination for sale again at $210 [USD].  As of a couple of minutes ago they had red, black, and natural colors in stock.

Jun 9, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #5,490 of 9,040
  Dignis Design has the Scutum case for the 380/amp combination for sale again at $210 [USD].  As of a couple of minutes ago they had red, black, and natural colors in stock.

Tempting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back