Astell&Kern AK380
May 20, 2016 at 12:43 PM Post #5,281 of 9,041
Havent listend to my JH16s in over a year since getting the Roxannes and when I usually do listen, its on a flight with just the AK, no CDM.  i'll try to compare if I get some time.

Also, I did find one major flaw with the Copper version of the AK+amp (besides the crazy price), you will get stopped at every TSA security check because all they see is one big metal object on their x-ray, and then come all the questions. 

May 20, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #5,282 of 9,041
Havent listend to my JH16s in over a year since getting the Roxannes and when I usually do listen, its on a flight with just the AK, no CDM.  i'll try to compare if I get some time.

Also, I did find one major flaw with the Copper version of the AK+amp (besides the crazy price), you will get stopped at every TSA security check because all they see is one big metal object on their x-ray, and then come all the questions. 
I been always afraid to take mines on a flight. Me and my wife just had this talk yesterday about TSA asking question. I would love to take mines. In a few days we r heading to Mexico. But I think I'm keeping it home.Has anyone had a problem through check point?
Mike

May 20, 2016 at 2:02 PM Post #5,283 of 9,041
  Redwine mod for Copper AK380 and Copper Amp....

Thanks for this very detailled feedback.  very interesting....expecially since I also owe HE-X and Roxanes :)

May 20, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #5,284 of 9,041
No issues, they just test with for residue and ask what it is then ur on ur way. I had one agent ask me if she could show the others and they all gathered around it in awe.

The whole point of the AK is that you can take that incredible sound with u everywhere, don't worry about TSA, they can't take it away from u, but they will wipe it with that cloth that they then test in the machine.

I been always afraid to take mines on a flight. Me and my wife just had this talk yesterday about TSA asking question. I would love to take mines. In a few days we r heading to Mexico. But I think I'm keeping it home.Has anyone had a problem through check point?
Mike

May 20, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #5,285 of 9,041
I'm really feeling the itch to buy the Copper 380 and Amp. From everything I've read, the 380 Copper alone is incredible but it just gets better with the Amp too. I have the Paw Gold, DPX1, ZX2, QP1R, and Mojo so I really don't need it at all. The Paw is my favorite at of all of them, and the power the Mojo provides is great but stacking isnt always that portable. I feel like all of my DAPs are good at certain aspects, but they are all missing what the 380 has. I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but is the 380 and amp worth it especially when trying to power full size cans?

May 20, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #5,286 of 9,041
I'm really feeling the itch to buy the Copper 380 and Amp. From everything I've read, the 380 Copper alone is incredible but it just gets better with the Amp too. I have the Paw Gold, DPX1, ZX2, QP1R, and Mojo so I really don't need it at all. The Paw is my favorite at of all of them, and the power the Mojo provides is great but stacking isnt always that portable. I feel like all of my DAPs are good at certain aspects, but they are all missing what the 380 has. I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but is the 380 and amp worth it especially when trying to power full size cans?
I sold a Cu today. To pair up with lcd3, ie800 and Shure 846. Lucky!

May 21, 2016 at 4:00 AM Post #5,287 of 9,041
Just received my AK380 CU. Naturally I inspected it carefully as soon as I opened it and it looks absolutely beautiful except for a slight scuff near the headphone socket. I assume it must have happened prior to being coated or it would already have started oxidising, although the unit was double sealed and the outer bag seemed to be keeping it in a vacuum. It cannot be felt with the fingernail and as the second picture shows, it depends on the lighting and angle whether it can be seen. Anything I should be concerned with, or just part of the deal with copper?

May 21, 2016 at 4:07 AM Post #5,288 of 9,041
  Just received my AK380 CU. Naturally I inspected it carefully as soon as I opened it and it looks absolutely beautiful except for a slight scuff near the headphone socket. I assume it must have happened prior to being coated or it would already have started oxidising, although the unit was double sealed and the outer bag seemed to be keeping it in a vacuum. It cannot be felt with the fingernail and as the second picture shows, it depends on the lighting and angle whether it can be seen. Anything I should be concerned with, or just part of the deal with copper?

this is a clear sign that its not brand new and that it has been repacked 

May 21, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #5,289 of 9,041
  this is a clear sign that its not brand new and that it has been repacked 

It came straight from the UK distributor, not a retailer. I am sure it wasn't repacked because everything about the seals and packaging felt absolutely new.

Aside from that though, the home button doesn't seem to do anything.....trying a firmware update just in case.

EDIT: Home button is working now

May 21, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #5,290 of 9,041

It came straight from the UK distributor, not a retailer. I am sure it wasn't repacked because everything about the seals and packaging felt absolutely new.

Aside from that though, the home button doesn't seem to do anything.....trying a firmware update just in case.

EDIT: Home button is working now

to me those marks can only be due to someone not being careful plugging in iem or headphones

May 21, 2016 at 5:31 AM Post #5,291 of 9,041
  to me those marks can only be due to someone not being careful plugging in iem or headphones

Yeah I hear you...what you can't see in the picture is there a bunch of very very fine marks all following that same line in the same place. If it was headphone carelessness there would be a single line, or ones at random angles....but this is like a scuff with several lines all absolutely parallel. To me it is like something a bit rough brushed over it as it was being packaged at the factory. I can see there is no depth to the marks and they disappear at other angles, so I think the scuffs may actually be in the coating. Also consider that I had a spotlight on the AK380 to photograph it, so it only looks that bad when holding it under a bright light. Nevertheless I do feel a bit disappointed. I will talk to the dealer.

May 21, 2016 at 6:01 AM Post #5,292 of 9,041
I actually do the same when I buy any high end gear....call it OCD or whatever but first thing I try is shine any device under the bright spot light to see any imperfections....though it doesn't affect the performance of the device but considering it's a high end product with premium price everything should be perfect.....

Good idea talk to the dealer and see what they can do about it.

Good luck

May 21, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #5,293 of 9,041
my ak380cu came flawless but eventually & suddenly birth marks here and there. NO BIGGIE. i say it now has character and that marking on your new AK380cu is your own unique personal id/serial character.
wink_face.gif
  it certainly won't affect high end performance. you will see, welcome to the AK380cu club. :thumbsup:

May 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM Post #5,294 of 9,041
Mmm...tried the cling wrap treatment, as suggested earlier in this thread, to keep my cu from oxidizing when in medium to long-term storage. It works. Cling wrapped it before storing it in my Pelican case with moisture absorbents. Kept it wrapped for a couple of days and no sign of tarnishing.

May 21, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #5,295 of 9,041

Provided this is a premium priced device I would suggest you send the photo to distributor and request for at least a replacement unit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back