Astell&Kern AK380
Feb 25, 2016 at 6:28 PM Post #3,676 of 9,041

The only real info I got from inside is that we will see a 256Gb from Sandisk at the end of the year....

By then I hope to see a AK480 with 1Tb SSD :wink:

Feb 25, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #3,679 of 9,041
Anyone else jump to the 1.23 firmware release ?  For those that are already using 1.23 is the sound difference only apparent when using EQ or are these improvements also for individuals that are not using EQ as well?  I don't use EQ so I'm just wondering if I would hear any change in sound signiture?

Thank you and sincerely
-Speed 

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:05 PM Post #3,680 of 9,041
  Anyone else jump to the 1.23 firmware release ?  For those that are already using 1.23 is the sound difference only apparent when using EQ or are these improvements also for individuals that are not using EQ as well?  I don't use EQ so I'm just wondering if I would hear any change in sound signiture?

Thank you and sincerely
-Speed 

I am on fw1.23. Sonic improvements are very noticeable without EQ. Like yourself I never use EQ.

It is worth noting that with every fw update there has been notable changes to the sonics of AK players, having owned 2 x 100, a 120, and a 240. Some changes are subtle, drastic, for the better and also for the worst. As I have mentioned previously, this update seems to have hit quite a sweet spot, at least for me, sonically.

There is never any mention of sonic changes in any of the release notes that accompany the fw., irrc. And to be honest it makes no sense for AK to do so, as it is a perfect product on release...

Feb 26, 2016 at 1:03 AM Post #3,681 of 9,041
380 + AK AMP, Anyone else notice with the new firmware that between the PRO EQ & EQ off is kind of a similar SQ. Having said that does that mean they updated the SQ with the EQ off as well? It seems to me they have. Still torn with what to stay with Pro EQ or EQ off. I always had EQ off to begin with. Since this this new update the SQ as I stated in recent post is much more fuller and the bass is puncher! Best update so far AK!
Mike

The whole SQ has changed regardless of EQ on or off. After playing around with 1.23 I still prefer with Pro EQ on for bass-centric cables like PEM22

Feb 26, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #3,682 of 9,041

The whole SQ has changed regardless of EQ on or off. After playing around with 1.23 I still prefer with Pro EQ on for bass-centric cables like PEM22

I'm still trying to sort it out, but as of earlier tonight I didn't notice any difference between Pro and EQ-off.  Interesting.

Feb 26, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #3,684 of 9,041
OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY GAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
The latest update killed it with the sound. Looks like that copper body chaging the sound is ******** after all lol

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:54 AM Post #3,685 of 9,041

I'm still trying to sort it out, but as of earlier tonight I didn't notice any difference between Pro and EQ-off.  Interesting.

It's definitely not the case of "I press the button and oh I hear the difference". You have to listen to a whole song with Pro EQ off, then try it all over again with it on. The difference is subtle, but for bass-centric cables Pro EQ can bring out the main theme just that slightly a bit more but will make it more engaging to listen to. Of course, if you are listening to something that shouldn't have any element prominent such as classical, then you should have Pro EQ off.

EQ doesnt work via the AMP right?

Yes it does.

Feb 26, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #3,686 of 9,041
From what I heard, the difference was very obvious - I would say the difference is so great that the improvement of the Cu over the original 380 is even greater than the original 380 over the 240.

Feb 26, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #3,689 of 9,041
Mine should be with me today!

Any chance of a side by side copper / standard AK380 with 1.23 fw comparison like you did on 1.19fw

Cheers

Hi mate,

Give it about 25 hours to fully settle. Still loving mine. The copper is getting nicely tarnished at the edges...............

I did listen to the standard AK380 with Amp combo on fw1.23 yesterday, but only briefly and did not really make a concerted effort to compare.

But like I said above, still loving my Cu.

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #3,690 of 9,041
Hi mate,

Give it about 25 hours to fully settle. Still loving mine. The copper is getting nicely tarnished at the edges...............

I did listen to the standard AK380 with Amp combo on fw1.23 yesterday, but only briefly and did not really make a concerted effort to compare.

But like I said above, still loving my Cu.

If not too much trouble, a couple pics of tarnished AK380 Cu would be very nice. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back