Astell&Kern AK380
Jul 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,381 of 9,041
Thanks, rudi, for your observations. A 15-20% improvement makes the 380 a viable upgrade over the SS. Without the amp, did you find the SS more capable of driving the LCD-3s to higher levels? Also, I'd be interested in your observations with a Hugo.

At some point, one has to make the decision to get off the upgrade train and be happy with what they have. This is where I find myself with my SS, but it's good to know what further improvements can be made by A&K's design team.

If 15-20% 380 over 240SS, then what are guesstimates of a AK380 over a stock AK240?

Well, it must be approaching 20-25% over a stock 240 based on rudi's thoughts. Although I agree with the majority view that an SS is slightly better than a stock 240, I do want to emphasize the descriptor slightly. Like 5% better. Then again, I'm not using world class headphones like the LCD-3s in my assessment.

Aloha Saraguie and jwbrent

AK 380 win again my AK 240 SS about 15 % is quite big in audio world

The sq different from AK 240 SS to AK 240 Duralium is about 20 % , it is very big spring too.

AK 380 has best Micro detail and 3D soundstage compare to AK 240 SS and AK 240

Ak 240 SS drive LCD 3 Fazor has about the same power like with AK 380 , In This case AK 380 has better micro detail and The bass reproduction Slightly more solid .

AK 240 SS + Hugo Sound Quality is better than AK 380 Alone

This AK 240 SS + Hugo cost also more than AK 380 Alone

This comparison is not apple vs apple

It is to Be Fair if we add 380 plus Hugo too

IMO

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #1,382 of 9,041
I also learned something at the SF Meet. Before the meet, I couldn't understand why some AK owners also carried around a Hugo. It seemed wasteful to me to use an AK for just a transport. However, my view having come back from the meet has changed and I think I now understand.

At the meet, I was able to connect my RWAK to various systems as a source:
  1. Optical out to a Questyle DAC
  2. SE line out to a Woo Audio W8 prototype
  3. Balanced line out to Cavalli LC
  4. Stand alone to compare against SS and AK380

It look me literally seconds to reconfigure for these different options and all the while I could listen to all my tracks that I know like the back of my hand. So now I can see some real life scenarios:
  1. Home system - use optical out from AK to my Gungnir
  2. Office system - line out to my Little Dot amp
  3. Walking around - stand alone with IEMs
  4. Driving - use line out to car audio
  5. On a plane - line or optical out to a transportable DAC/AMP like Hugo or Woo Audio W8
  6. Wireless - range permitting, Bluetooth connection

So it's pretty convenient from the portability. Which also had me thinking - would people be interested in a high end pure transport only? Here is how I would spec it:
  1. Full Android OS
  2. Really nice UI
  3. Full open source ROM
  4. 2 GB internal RAM
  5. Software re-sampling engine like iZotope
  6. 512 GB internal memory
  7. SD card socket
  8. Output (all designed with noise isolation)
    1. USB
    2. Optical
    3. Coax
    4. Bluetooth 4.0
    5. Headphone out (basic amp)
  9. Mechanical design that makes stacking really easy and clean and not get in the way of the touchscreen
  10. 10+ battery life

I know this just sounds like a iPod with more internal memory and output options, but I think the stackable design is really important so it shouldn't be very challenging for one of the DAP vendors to make.

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,383 of 9,041
I have 100% of my listening in the portable realm, had my fair share of full sized cans, RS1, LCD2, D7100, MDR-SA5000, MDR-Z1000, HD600, HD650, HD800... And I just simply prefer on the go convenience, and the SQ you can get with the upper echelons is damned good...

Jul 20, 2015 at 1:52 PM Post #1,384 of 9,041

So it's pretty convenient from the portability. Which also had me thinking - would people be interested in a high end pure transport only? Here is how I would spec it:
  1. Full Android OS
  2. Really nice UI
  3. Full open source ROM
  4. 2 GB internal RAM
  5. Software re-sampling engine like iZotope
  6. 512 GB internal memory
  7. SD card socket
  8. Output (all designed with noise isolation)
    1. USB
    2. Optical
    3. Coax
    4. Bluetooth 4.0
    5. Headphone out (basic amp)
  9. Mechanical design that makes stacking really easy and clean and not get in the way of the touchscreen
  10. 10+ battery life

I know this just sounds like a iPod with more internal memory and output options, but I think the stackable design is really important so it shouldn't be very challenging for one of the DAP vendors to make.

I would be happy, if they could add a optical out to the next Sony Z series phone (or any flagship/midrange phone with SD expansion).

Jul 20, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,385 of 9,041
.....would people be interested in a high end pure transport only? Here is how I would spec it:
  • Full Android OS
  • Really nice UI
  • Full open source ROM
  • 2 GB internal RAM
  • Software re-sampling engine like iZotope
  • 512 GB internal memory
  • SD card socket
  • Output (all designed with noise isolation)
    • USB
    • Optical
    • Coax
    • Bluetooth 4.0
    • Headphone out (basic amp)
  • Mechanical design that makes stacking really easy and clean and not get in the way of the touchscreen
  • 10+ battery life

+10000

Me also I want a portable TRANSPORT that i can use with my HUGO when I am on the go and that I use as a music server connected to my Desktop DAP/Amp when at home.

I will add to the list : Wifi TIDAL / QOBUZ streaming , and USB OTG or a 1 To SSD inside

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:26 PM Post #1,386 of 9,041

Could anyone who has now got hold of an AK380 advise if the previous crackling balanced socket issue on the AK240 has been completely fixed and eradicated on the AK380? I have been crackle free for about 6 months with my Ted's Headfood balanced cable until last week when annoyingly the crackling has returned. I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying the AK380 but won't do so unless I know that this infuriating balanced socket issue has now been fixed.

Jul 20, 2015 at 3:29 PM Post #1,387 of 9,041

Could anyone who has now got hold of an AK380 advise if the previous crackling balanced socket issue on the AK240 has been completely fixed and eradicated on the AK380? I have been crackle free for about 6 months with my Ted's Headfood balanced cable until last week when annoyingly the crackling has returned. I am thinking of taking the plunge and buying the AK380 but won't do so unless I know that this infuriating balanced socket issue has now been fixed.

I've had an AK240 since it came out. Never experienced crackling on the balanced socket. Are you sure its the AK240 and not the cable - If its the AK240, why didn't you get it repaired?

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:03 PM Post #1,388 of 9,041

I've had an AK240 since it came out. Never experienced crackling on the balanced socket. Are you sure its the AK240 and not the cable - If its the AK240, why didn't you get it repaired?

I agree with piercer's assessment. I have 2 cables from the same maker and exact same connectors. One of the 2 connectors has zero issues. The other connector will drop a channel if the cable is is twisted, but a firm push back into the socket restores and stays put. This would indicate to me that the connector vendors are not keeping tight tolerances that 2.5mm plugs need.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #1,389 of 9,041
Thank you both for the prompt replies. You may know from the AK240 forum that the crackling/dropout issue on the balanced socket has mysteriously affected quite a few people whereas others have had no problems. I first got a balanced cable from Moon Audio which crackled and dropped out as soon as I got it. I then got another balanced cable from Ted's Headfood which I as say has worked trouble free for about 8 months and now it's a problem-reading everyone's posts on this it's not clear whether the fault lies with a "faulty" balanced socket on the AK240 or the fact that some cable vendors are not using the best possible socket plugs-in any event I can't fathom how a cable could work perfectly for 8 months being used everyday and then become "faulty" with the same craclkling/dropout on the left channel only-it's a bit of a mystery.
I can't afford to keep buying different balanced cables at about US$150 a go in the hope that I'm going to get one that works trouble free all the time on the AK240.
It would be good to know if any AK240 owners who have had trouble with this issue on their unit and have now got an AK380 which is now operating fine through the balanced socket-on the pictures of the AK380 it looks like the outside of the balanced socket on the AK380 has a slight lip on it and I was just wondering if that slight change has been introduced in order to "fix" any previous socket problems (if indeed it is the socket at fault)

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #1,390 of 9,041

I agree with piercer's assessment. I have 2 cables from the same maker and exact same connectors. One of the 2 connectors has zero issues. The other connector will drop a channel if the cable is is twisted, but a firm push back into the socket restores and stays put. This would indicate to me that the connector vendors are not keeping tight tolerances that 2.5mm plugs need.

Did you try DeOxit - Gold on the connector with contact issue? I hear nothing but good stuff about these.
Shoving it harder into the socket, doesn't sound like a good fix.

Jul 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM Post #1,391 of 9,041
I did actually about 3 days ago but to no avail. Ted is a big fan of the magic Deoxit sprays and used it on my cable before he dispatched it to me. I thought that a fresh burst of it might do the trick and fix it but sadly it hasn't

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:10 PM Post #1,392 of 9,041

Never had this problem either—on both my stock 240 and my 240SS.

Jul 20, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #1,393 of 9,041
the main reason i gotten a 380 is its a all in one package.

is it better than 240+Hugo? not so but not too far, but not easy to bring around. But cost more than a 380.

just my 'excuse' =)

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:14 PM Post #1,394 of 9,041
  Did you try DeOxit - Gold on the connector with contact issue? I hear nothing but good stuff about these.
Shoving it harder into the socket, doesn't sound like a good fix.

For me when I jiggle the cable moving things around, it lifts slightly off the socket so I am just pushing all the back in. It stays put as long as I don't move the cable too much. My other cable with same connector fits more tightly and resists coming loose really well. Should have mentioned - never had the crackling sound on either of them.

Jul 20, 2015 at 7:54 PM Post #1,395 of 9,041
That's exactly what I am talking about. Only speaker systems have a soundstage to speak of if one sets it up properly. The Smyth Realiser is able to mimic a speaker setup on headphones.

That includes headphones as well. Hd800??!!
That will be th day when I can hear things in space - instruments and voices not only to the left right or center but in front and behind and height as well.. Singers voice placement change as they move their head relative to the mc....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back