Astell&Kern AK380
May 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #676 of 9,040
  Ah AK, always the center of controversy...

AK100 with its crazy output impedance...
AK120 with its not-as-crazy-but-still-"bad" output impedance
AK240 with its look/feel/price
AK500 with its PRICE
And now the AK380 with its pricing...

They must really like being talked about :)

They are lifestyle products most ideally for people who have houses so full of art and arty stuff down to DeLonghi Toasters in the kitchen. An AK500N fits right in.  The AK380 (and the 240 arguably as well) makes the most sense if you use the full range of features and have it as a main, or part of a main system. Otherwise you'd just use your phone with your choice of (trans)portable DAC/amp of choice for far less. But this is Head-Fi and we're nuts. 
ksc75smile.gif

By the way, Anakchan uses the DSD 5.6 upsampling in Onkyo HF Player with his Flow. That makes a considerable difference. It isn't nearly as nice just with straight 44.1.

May 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #677 of 9,040

They are lifestyle products most ideally for people who have houses so full of art and arty stuff down to DeLonghi Toasters in the kitchen. An AK500N fits right in.  The AK380 (and the 240 arguably as well) makes the most sense if you use the full range of features and have it as a main, or part of a main system. Otherwise you'd just use your phone with your choice of (trans)portable DAC/amp of choice for far less. But this is Head-Fi and we're nuts. 
ksc75smile.gif

By the way, Anakchan uses the DSD 5.6 upsampling in Onkyo HF Player with his Flow. That makes a considerable difference. It isn't nearly as nice just with straight 44.1.

My upsampling with Onkyo shows the purple format light on my Hugo.  That indicates DXD?

May 18, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #678 of 9,040
Seems like it might needs the amp module to power full size headphone. If this is the case, I am now back considering the Bakoon HPA01M with AK240 as source. I am building a semi-portable set with LCD X and the future HE1000. 

May 18, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #682 of 9,040
Yes,there is a bug.I didn't understand,why they moved that button to metal.Home button is good on screen.

May 18, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #686 of 9,040
Seriously, though.

Very, very careful use of a craft knife would rectify the issue, would it not?

Not for the faint-hearted, but not rocket-science, either
beerchug.gif

May 18, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #689 of 9,040

ksc75smile.gif

My upsampling with Onkyo shows the purple format light on my Hugo.  That indicates DXD?

Yes, that's right. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back