Astell&Kern AK380
Jun 28, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #8,956 of 9,040
On the subject of repairs, my AK380 Amp battery needs replaced but DM Solution can't get hold of one as production has ended. Is there another battery that would fit?
Yes, I had the exact same reply when I asked about a bettery replacement. That is certainly unfortunate, because otherwise the player is working just fine, and I would very much prefer to have it serviced by iRiver themselves. I guess I have to keep searching.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #8,957 of 9,040
Wow I see this thread it not used that often anymore. I recently bought myself a nice used AK380.
plays very nice with my Campfire Andromeda 2019.
love it, full of music!
I know the iem’s are not totl yet but lets say ‘on the way’
What do you, other owners or previous AK380 owner advice as a better, but nice priced iem’s to get more music out of the dap?
I still love my AK380+Amp! It's my backup DAP but still gets used almost nightly to help me wind down... The only issue I have is that Tidal is no longer supported, but hardly an issue if you grab a 1tb card and fill it up!

I'm a fan of CFA - I still occasionally rock out with my Andro Gold's, but I primarily use by 64A U12T's for at work listening. The APEX module on the U12T is great at preventing fatigue...I can listen all day without issue. The U12T's are great for pretty much every genre of music!

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #8,958 of 9,040
Yes, I had the exact same reply when I asked about a bettery replacement. That is certainly unfortunate, because otherwise the player is working just fine, and I would very much prefer to have it serviced by iRiver themselves. I guess I have to keep searching.
My amp started working again - I was unwittingly using a fast charger and it just stopped charging, however I tried an Anker Powerport non-fast charger and all was okay. I could never find a 5V 2A adapter (they were all 2.1A or 2.4A) but I understand the Anker is variable and gives the device whatever it needs.

In the meantime, I used the 380 without the amp and realised that it doesn't make that much difference with low impedance headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #8,960 of 9,040
For those who have problems with not working Tidal and/or Qobuz, can it help to hse a second source, dap,pc or… runnibg Tidal, conbect it via digital connection to the AK380, used as dac and amp?
Or is this bad for SQ?
It is not bad for sound quality since it will be your default playback device. You’ll be streaming the music through the DAP itself. It’s probably the only way to use Tidal with the AK380.

Aug 8, 2021 at 8:28 AM Post #8,961 of 9,040
Guys, is this still a solid buy in 2021?

I’ve got an offer to get the AK380, the official AMP, and leather case for £800. It seems like a great deal, but I’m also aware daps have come a long way, and am not sure if it can match Modern similarly priced counterparts in SQ and other metrics. Thanks.

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:23 AM Post #8,962 of 9,040

I’ve got an offer to get the AK380, the official AMP, and leather case for £800. It seems like a great deal, but I’m also aware daps have come a long way, and am not sure if it can match Modern similarly priced counterparts in SQ and other metrics. Thanks.
While the technologies has advanced, many stays the same, like OpAmps and batteries , resistors, capacitors and so on. I don’t see why enjoying the formers flagship is a bad purchase unless you can tank the depreciation of the new flagship. The only thing you should worry about is the battery, should you replace it or how long it lasts

Aug 8, 2021 at 9:57 AM Post #8,963 of 9,040
While the technologies has advanced, many stays the same, like OpAmps and batteries , resistors, capacitors and so on. I don’t see why enjoying the formers flagship is a bad purchase unless you can tank the depreciation of the new flagship. The only thing you should worry about is the battery, should you replace it or how long it lasts
I agree, I just think relative purchases make it less than simple. SA700 and SE100 can be snapped up at a similar price as this + the amp and I have no idea if they measure up to the latter combo. Tough one!

My reference is the kann, which I loved.

Aug 8, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #8,964 of 9,040
I agree, I just think relative purchases make it less than simple. SA700 and SE100 can be snapped up at a similar price as this + the amp and I have no idea if they measure up to the latter combo. Tough one!

My reference is the kann, which I loved.
Just from any technical standpoint, A DAP with a separate and dedicated Amp would be a better option than a DAP that share the same batteries and supplies to the amp itself.

But then, sound is subjective, and so you should choose wisely

Aug 8, 2021 at 12:28 PM Post #8,965 of 9,040
After many years of dutiful service I'm contemplating of separating from my beloved AK380SS... I didn't use is much for the past 2 years (mainly listening from iPhone...), but this is just a too nice DAP to let it sleep on my desk. So if anyone's interested in this limited edition including matching amp and protective case, PM me.

I've kept this one over the successors since it sports that unique A&K design, not those worn down, simplified, exchangeable design of the SP1000/SP2000 models. Plus I've always had a soft spot for the AKM DAC, so soundwise I never saw any need to get anything else. So regarding its position today, I think the 380 is still a TOTL DAP, even if its not the A&K top model anymore.

Aug 8, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #8,966 of 9,040
I’ve always loved the sound of the 380 and struggled each time I’ve listened to another brand/cheaper DAC. The music on the others just doesn’t seem as fleshed out (for lack of a better description). Has anyone found a streaming DAC under 1K that offers a similar sound signature?

Aug 12, 2021 at 7:34 PM Post #8,968 of 9,040
i sold my 380cu and matching amp a couple of years ago and loved it. It was just too large to be a portable for me. I now use the SR25 and love it. I’m using Empire Ears Odin’s and they are very satisfying with the smaller DAP, but the 380+amp sounds much better to my ears

Aug 18, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #8,969 of 9,040

The DAC battery is an easy repair - post it to DM Solutions in Germany (email Daniel Noh) - you'll have it back within the week for about £80. The battery for the AMP, however, is no longer manufactured. If you're using low impedance phones the amp won't matter too much. The 380 still sounds great - nice 'n meaty - and you sometimes find new ones for not much more than £1,000. There's one in Germany on eBay brand new for about £1,300 plus free £799 AK Rosie IEMs.

Aug 18, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #8,970 of 9,040
The DAC battery is an easy repair - post it to DM Solutions in Germany (email Daniel Noh) - you'll have it back within the week for about £80. The battery for the AMP, however, is no longer manufactured. If you're using low impedance phones the amp won't matter too much. The 380 still sounds great - nice 'n meaty - and you sometimes find new ones for not much more than £1,000. There's one in Germany on eBay brand new for about £1,300 plus free £799 AK Rosie IEMs.
Isn't the battery for both the ak380 player and amp the same PR-754680N?
20190806_203617_resized_1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back