Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 20, 2016 at 9:02 PM Post #4,744 of 9,041
yes I did a settings reset but it wouldn't do anything, now I confirm it plays 3.5 when out of the amp's 3.5, but as soon as I switch off the amp and use the DAP the BAL indicator instantly returns and does not go away

did you find a fix? Just contacted Jimmy Moon from AK and waiting for a response....

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #4,745 of 9,041
  Maybe this could solve your problem; try to install the older firmware and re-install the new firmware again, I hope you get it working correctly.

The problem is that you can't flash the firmware to an older version without sending it back to AK, since the update is automatic.

I do not know of a way of doing this, since you can't 'flash' operation system / ROMs like Android with the AK, and everything is kind of arbitrary and OTA, I don't want to send it back just yet since it seems I'm not the only one affected. 

Mine is also stuck in bal mode! what the hell!?!

How do I fix it

seriously, it was fine yesteday, all of a sudden start it up and it's stuck in bal!

reformated it and it's still stuck, 
mad.gif

did you find a fix? Just contacted Jimmy Moon from AK and waiting for a response....

Hey Chan007, you are not alone, I did a 'Reset Data' twice and everytime it rebooted the 'BAL' indicator (sandwiched by the zig zag lines) came back and stayed there forever, regardless of how many times I plug and unplug into both ports. The 3.5mm of the AK380 amp works though, after the amp is turned on if I plug single ended iems into the amp's output, the 'BAL' indicator disappears just like it should, and it plays fine. But once the amp is switched off, the 'BAL' instantly comes back and never goes away, I will now shoot Alex An a message. Gavin is also affected .... I find the coincidence of the timing (3 confirmed problems within the span of one day) chilling, but I have NO explanation as to why this problem only surfaced after several weeks into firmware 1.24. 

Yes I know it's not a 'big' problem for many users that exclusively use balanced, but this thing costed a fortune and to deny me the right of using 3.5mm is unacceptable. 

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #4,746 of 9,041
I just shot some iriver staff a message by email and Facebook, @Chan007 you also already messaged Jimmy Moon from iriver? 

Is this a confirmed software-related problem and I don't have to worry that it is actually a hardware defect and I have to send it in> 

Apr 20, 2016 at 9:39 PM Post #4,748 of 9,041
hopefully we here some news soon. It seems rather odd indeed that 3 of us reported this all within 24 hours.

I use mainly the 2.5mm balanced port so it's not a HUGE deal. but it is still pretty annoying. I don't have the ak380 amp so I cant use the se output at all :frowning2:

Apr 20, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #4,749 of 9,041
Mmm.....perhaps AK, in the next firmware update, can reinstate the Bal icon under settings. I experienced the same stuck Bal mode problem with my cu before. The problem was resolved with a simple restart. Also, I inserted different in-ears with 3.5 mm plug and I made sure that the plugs were spotlessly clean. It could be a contact problem.

Apr 20, 2016 at 11:58 PM Post #4,750 of 9,041
  Mmm.....perhaps AK, in the next firmware update, can reinstate the Bal icon under settings. I experienced the same stuck Bal mode problem with my cu before. The problem was resolved with a simple restart. Also, I inserted different in-ears with 3.5 mm plug and I made sure that the plugs were spotlessly clean. It could be a contact problem.

How long ago were you stuck and were you on firmware 1.24? I restarted no less than 5 times and also clicked on 'Default Settings - Settings reset' twice now, I have also plugged in four 3.5mm iems, and a 2.5mm > 3.5mm converter jack, my 380 is still stuck on 'BAL' perpetually. I have 'blown' some wind into the port to get dust away, and the 3.5mm port works for optical out so it should be a contact issue or dirt problem after all. Still waiting for iriver's response ... lucky for you to have resolved it without having to send it in or via some firmware change 

Apr 21, 2016 at 12:32 AM Post #4,752 of 9,041
It's been a while, but isn't there a factory reset option? I don't believe resetting settings to default is the same, but I don't remember on my AK models.
factory reset erases all data and settings, I believe all songs in internal memory will be wiped, I'm not going through the trouble of having to put back all my music into the thing if this happens to be just a firmware glitch that can fixed by OTA

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #4,753 of 9,041
factory reset erases all data and settings, I believe all songs in internal memory will be wiped, I'm not going through the trouble of having to put back all my music into the thing if this happens to be just a firmware glitch that can fixed by OTA

How long ago were you stuck and were you on firmware 1.24? I restarted no less than 5 times and also clicked on 'Default Settings - Settings reset' twice now, I have also plugged in four 3.5mm iems, and a 2.5mm > 3.5mm converter jack, my 380 is still stuck on 'BAL' perpetually. I have 'blown' some wind into the port to get dust away, and the 3.5mm port works for optical out so it should be a contact issue or dirt problem after all. Still waiting for iriver's response ... lucky for you to have resolved it without having to send it in or via some firmware change 

Mmm....it happened just once, under firmware 1.24. Hopefully, iRiver resolves this issue for you. I understand your frustration.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #4,754 of 9,041
It is official. AK380 Cu is the best DAP ever made. It is astounding how iRiver can design products so similar in everything yet one is significantly better than the other (i.e. Cu over the original 380). Kudos, iRiver.

Wait until the next it will be released, and then i will see tears ( but not of joy ).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back