Astell&Kern AK380
Apr 13, 2016 at 1:47 AM Post #4,591 of 9,041
Gavin, there is actually another limitation to the 380/380cu line that I hope the next offering will correct, that is, the digital out on the 380 is limited to optical out. There is no spdif or usb connections. As a result, you cannot really digital out to for instance the KSE1500 except for line out. Also, if you can remember when I attempted to connect your 380cu to my Hugo there is no sound from the DSD songs and we thought at the time that the Hugo cannot do DSD. But I learned recently that is because of the limitation of the optical out. I read in the manuel that the optical out cannot output DSD signal. For that exact reason, I skipped over the Paw Gold because it does not have any digital out. So what do you say, want to put up your 380cu for the Game still? If it will help, I can even blind fold myself :) :)

As you know I have been a professional gambler my whole career, so I know what's a good punt!!! There's no point betting for the sake of betting especially when the odds seems to be stacked against me.

I will bottle out, and stay on the sidelines even if you do blindfold yourself, you cocky so and so.............
angry_face.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #4,592 of 9,041
As you know I have been a professional gambler my whole career, so I know what's a good punt!!! There's no point betting for the sake of betting especially when the odds seems to be stacked against me.

I will bottle out, and stay on the sidelines even if you do blindfold yourself, you cocky so and so.............:angry_face:

Gavin, I just climbed back up from rolling on the floor laughing and thinking how can you tell all your friends that you have just turned down a ping pong challenge from a blind man :) :) :)

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #4,593 of 9,041
Anyway, I have come up with a solution to my dilemma with regard to buy or not to buy the cu. I am going to buy the cu in a week or two. I am going to hold on to it since it will be less than a month from the Munich Audio Show. If there is no announcement from AK, then I will keep the cu, but if a new model is announced and I decide that I like the new model better, then I will return the cu and buy the new model. In fact, chances are even if they announce a new model and given the past behavior of AK, it will most likely not their best effort like the 240 and 380. They may come up with a silver model by the end of the year, but that is another life time in Headfi terms. I don't mind if I get to use it for 8 to 10 months and I think that is fair, I just do not want to get blindsided by two three weeks.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #4,594 of 9,041

That's interesting,hykhleif, I also just received a balanced cable from Ted for my Empire Ears Apollo,and I don't notice any difference between balanced and SE volume.  Different strokes....

really, now that is surprising is that I noticed this with my iem u12 immediately

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #4,595 of 9,041

After what @omega1 wrote? Jesting aside, I'd have to think hard the reason being is that I already have a free demo AK380 courtesy of Fujikawa-san of Aiuto Japan (iRiver distributor). It's limited to 32GB which I don't mind as I have a 200GB microSD in it, but it's firmware is also limited to 1.18 which is a little bummer.

I use it mostly with the Shure KSE1500, meaning that I use the demo AK380 as a DAC only which I think is its greatest strength - I'm not a fan of AK380's amp side nor it's piggyback amp.

So if I buy the AK380Cu I'm not sure if I'd be using it to its max potential seeing I'll mostly using it's DAC only. Not to mention, if @omega1's assessment is accurate then it's quite a bit to spend. Mind you though, early in the AK380 thread, I've read of how some folks feel the jump from the AK380 to the AK380Cu is greater than from the AK240 to AK380. So don't know who's right. I just need to bring a spare microSD to e-earphone to compare. 

if be so interested to hear your comparisons between ak380 and ak380cu, but you gotta try not a demo ak380 as the sound changed from firmware 1.18, so it will not be an accurate comparison between a demo ak380 with firmware 1.18 and an ak380cu with the latest firmware

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:20 AM Post #4,597 of 9,041
....BTW, I'm kinda in the same situation as you....AK380Cu or not? I don't have any further info either.

Same for me ! Waiting for info about a possible NEW TOL DAP from A&K ....

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #4,598 of 9,041
James,

You know I am giving you "Face".....

:deadhorse:

Gavin, I am sorry, it's my bad I shouldn't have that much fun at your expense:wink: But if you don't drum up the cu that much, I wouldn't find myself wanting it. Alright, could I treat you to some "water fish" soup and calls it even?

Apr 13, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #4,599 of 9,041
  really, now that is surprising is that I noticed this with my iem u12 immediately

I expected to find a big difference, too.  I was disappointed.  I actually prefer the SQ using the BTG Starlight SE.  I've also got another SE cable coming soon that I hope will sound even better than those, two.  

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:25 AM Post #4,600 of 9,041

I expected to find a big difference, too.  I was disappointed.  I actually prefer the SQ using the BTG Starlight SE.  I've also got another SE cable coming soon that I hope will sound even better than those, two.  

very strange how come as to me its a huge change

Apr 13, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #4,601 of 9,041
It shouldn't be much of a risk of them stopping the AK380cu, like Jalo said, they continue to make the SS version. Worst case scenario, if you wait, they announced a new version you can buy the new one, if not, there will probably be some new cu units, or at worst purchase a lightly used one for a discount.

Apr 13, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #4,602 of 9,041
Apr 13, 2016 at 1:58 PM Post #4,603 of 9,041
Does anyone keep his music player for more then 1,2, 3 years? Please raise your right hand up.
Quite few by the looks of it.
And when i remember i started with an iRiver IFP 390 256 mb internal memory good for around 60 mp3 128 kbps songs in 2003 price was around USD 300 if i remember correctly.

Apr 13, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #4,605 of 9,041

i am really surprised as to me listening volumes now range between only 42-55 not more than that, compared to before

how come i am experiencing such a big difference, my cable is from ted allen

maybe its the cable that the stock u12 cable was lousy

you really got me curious why u r not experiening the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back