Astell&Kern AK380
Nov 5, 2015 at 12:20 AM Post #2,447 of 9,042
I read on Headfonia about the AK380 and he didn't really have much good to say about the AK380 and its balanced output. Anyone would care to comment on that?

Nov 5, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #2,450 of 9,042
Can someone please clarify this once forever:
AK380 has OLED or LCD?
This guys claim is OLED:http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/astell-and-kern-ak380-portable-mqs-music-player.html
Phil where are you? :)

It's LCD, OLEDs don't have light bleed

Thank you, now i am not interested in this music player anymore!

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #2,453 of 9,042
Add a very black wallpaper and go in a dark room and put brightness to the maximum and you will see what i mean.

Just tried that, using the darkest of the four standard wallpapers, and no light bleed.  Just to clarify, we're not talking about the LCD screen characteristic of losing contrast when viewed from an angle, are we?  That of course is evident.  But there isn't light bleed in the sense of one corner or edge (for example) being noticeably brighter than the rest of the screen when looked at full on.  But I'll accept that I am probably lucky as I remember light-bleed issues being variable with different LCD TVs of the same model.

Nov 5, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #2,454 of 9,042
Add a very black wallpaper and go in a dark room and put brightness to the maximum and you will see what i mean.

Light bleed is distracting, when you're watching videos in the dark. I don't see a problem with it on a DAP, AK doesn't even play video.
But, I do respect your decision. When I'm dropping four grand, I expect nothing to be less than perfect.

Nov 5, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #2,456 of 9,042
I thought DSD over optical wasn't permitted due to copyright restrictions rather than any technical deficiencies

Nov 5, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #2,457 of 9,042
The 380 is a fine DAP but insanely overpriced.....go out and buy a well cared for used 240 at a fraction of the cost......

Nov 5, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #2,458 of 9,042
Being a AK380 owner..I spoke to AK about these issue I been reading on this thread and this is what they said back...

A little bit of light bleed is normal and we do use a different type of LCD screen than the AK100 II. It is normal for the AK380 to get a bit hotter when playing DSD files because of the processing power it needs to playback DSD files.

If you have problems with the LCD screen of the AK380 in the future, please let us know and we will be glad to assist.
my post from a few days ago about light bleed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back