Astell&Kern AK380
Oct 17, 2015 at 12:27 PM Post #2,281 of 9,040
Mike, here's a thought.....when you turn on the player from being completely off, when the "A" logo is spinning, do you notice any light bleed coming from the bottom of the screen? I had to swap out two units before I got one without any light bleed.

This light bleeding causes the screen to look washed out. Blacks look like grays. Here's a pic I took where the left one has light bleed and the right one is fine.

Both at 100% brightness

I was afraid you would mention the light bleed only cause I notice it just a tad on the lower left corner when turning it on. But not as bad as your pics that you shown. When I go to settings mines looks like yours to the right. So I think I can live with it if I only see it from the start up. The blacks are black just know that it can be a bit darker if i wanted resend for a replacement.BTW How Did you go about getting a replacement? Pics don't do justice but I think it's fine.

Oct 17, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2,282 of 9,040
  Hi jlingo,

Red Wine Audio does make a real sound improvement I agree.  I was wondering if they were going to provide a similar mod for the AK 380?  Did you check with Vinny?

-Speed 

Talked with Vinnie, He's working on a mod for the ak380, he's just been busy with his other projects.

What I really would like for him to mod is the external amp, but not sure he's gonna do that too.

Yes he does, I'm sending my AK380 today 
beyersmile.png

Do you know the full details of the mod?

If Vinnie will be modding the external amp, count me in +1

onlychild you can mention me to Vinnie, I am up for it if he is willing to develop the mod.Or I can send my unit in to him.

Guys what is the best way to contact Vinnie? Maybe I can try to persuade
atsmile.gif

Best Regards

Hym

Hi jlingo,

Red Wine Audio does make a real sound improvement I agree.  I was wondering if they were going to provide a similar mod for the AK 380?  Did you check with Vinny?

-Speed 

Talked with Vinnie, He's working on a mod for the ak380, he's just been busy with his other projects.

What I really would like for him to mod is the external amp, but not sure he's gonna do that too.

Yes he does, I'm sending my AK380 today 
beyersmile.png

Do you know the full details of the mod?

If Vinnie will be modding the external amp, count me in +1

onlychild you can mention me to Vinnie, I am up for it if he is willing to develop the mod.Or I can send my unit in to him.

Guys what is the best way to contact Vinnie? Maybe I can try to persuade
atsmile.gif

Best Regards

Hym

Hi Hym,  

I'm sorry I missed your post when I was cutting and pasting my last message but I will mentioned it to Vinnie.

Sincerely,
-speed

I spoke with Vinnie from Red Wine Audio and below everything I could gather...

RWAK380 modification will be available by the end of this month. Similar to the RWAK240. Specifically:
  1. Adding more capacitance > 2,000uF of low ESR capacitance - this really improves dynamics, punch, speed, bass quality (tightness, definition) ... just like you get with a good quality external headphone amp.

1. Utilizing bypass caps in certain locations to open up the top end some more. Not to make it brighter... just to get a little more sense of space in the recordings that is missing compared to other stand-alone amps., and to get a little more decay and low level detail.

This modification will be a nice improvement no matter if you use IEMs or full size cans.

However to get the most out of harder to drive headphones like the HE1000s, LC2/3's (and potentially the LCD-4), HD800, etc. more power is needed.

Therefore Vinnie is looking into two other options.  However it’s not finalized yet!

The two options maybe:
  1. RWAK380H modification.  (H for high output power). RWAK380H would add a dedicated balanced output stage to the RWAK380 that would actually be installed *inside* the AK380 and has will have the power of a very strong desktop amp!  Powerful enough to drive HE-6s. It would replace the stock balanced output of the AK380 (but the SE would remain the same as the RWAK380). It's still a Class AB output stage (not Class D), but a lot more output power and still fit inside your pocket.

Of course those who don't need the extra power would not need the RWAK380H mod.

The second option maybe:
  1. Look into AK380 external amp and decide if it makes sense to mod it

Vinnie is hopeful there will be more room inside (the amp) and perhaps he could install his custom balanced output stage inside. He is weighing decisions with regard to power draw and potential reduction in play time (of the AK380 DAP) by an hour or two if one is playing music loud into harder to drive cans.  As more output power = more current draw from the battery.

Your feedback to Vinnie is very much appreciated as he continues working on RWAK380H mod (to either be used inside AK380 DAP, or inside AK380 external amp instead. As he put it to me: “The RWAK380H would definitely be the most powerful DAP available... and for those with cans that need the power, it will blow your mind, baby :)

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio.
-Speed 

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:23 PM Post #2,283 of 9,040

RWAK380 modification will be available by the end of this month. Similar to the RWAK240. Specifically:
  • Adding more capacitance > 2,000uF of low ESR capacitance - this really improves dynamics, punch, speed, bass quality (tightness, definition) ... just like you get with a good quality external headphone amp.

• Utilizing bypass caps in certain locations to open up the top end some more. Not to make it brighter... just to get a little more sense of space in the recordings that is missing compared to other stand-alone amps., and to get a little more decay and low level detail.

This modification will be a nice improvement no matter if you use IEMs or full size cans.

However to get the most out of harder to drive headphones like the HE1000s, LC2/3's (and potentially the LCD-4), HD800, etc. more power is needed.

Therefore Vinnie is looking into two other options.  However it’s not finalized yet!

The two options maybe:
  • RWAK380H modification.  (H for high output power). RWAK380H would add a dedicated balanced output stage to the RWAK380 that would actually be installed *inside* the AK380 and has will have the power of a very strong desktop amp!  Powerful enough to drive HE-6s. It would replace the stock balanced output of the AK380 (but the SE would remain the same as the RWAK380). It's still a Class AB output stage (not Class D), but a lot more output power and still fit inside your pocket.

The second option maybe:
  • Look into AK380 external amp and decide if it makes sense to mod it

Vinnie is hopeful there will be more room inside (the amp) and perhaps he could install his custom balanced output stage inside. He is weighing decisions with regard to power draw and potential reduction in play time (of the AK380 DAP) by an hour or two if one is playing music loud into harder to drive cans.  As more output power = more current draw from the battery.

Your feedback to Vinnie is very much appreciated as he continues working on RWAK380H mod (to either be used inside AK380 DAP, or inside AK380 external amp instead. As he put it to me: “The RWAK380H would definitely be the most powerful DAP available... and for those with cans that need the power, it will blow your mind, baby :)

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio.
-Speed 

Defo put the extra power in the amp...as that way you have all bases covered for any headphone....if you purchase both....sorted :)

Oct 17, 2015 at 3:51 PM Post #2,285 of 9,040

1. Adding more capacitance > 2,000uF of low ESR capacitance - this really improves dynamics, punch, speed, bass quality (tightness, definition) ... just like you get with a good quality external headphone amp.

1. Utilizing bypass caps in certain locations to open up the top end some more. Not to make it brighter... just to get a little more sense of space in the recordings that is missing compared to other stand-alone amps., and to get a little more decay and low level detail.

The two options maybe:
  1. RWAK380H modification.  (H for high output power). RWAK380H would add a dedicated balanced output stage to the RWAK380 that would actually be installed *inside* the AK380 and has will have the power of a very strong desktop amp!  Powerful enough to drive HE-6s. It would replace the stock balanced output of the AK380 (but the SE would remain the same as the RWAK380). It's still a Class AB output stage (not Class D), but a lot more output power and still fit inside your pocket.

The second option maybe:
  1. Look into AK380 external amp and decide if it makes sense to mod it

Sincerely,
Your friend in audio.
-Speed 

I will also prefer the mod to be done in the external amp. So the complicated DAP is kept as standard; so warranty is intact. External Amp +1 for me

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,291 of 9,040
I just checked mine again when it auto shutoff and I could tell where the border between the bezel and the screen is, but there was no light areas or bright spots.
oh well, least it's not notice once the album screen art is on. Its just we pay so much for a device like this and I want it to be perfect. But like I said I'm not going through the hassle sending it back. Its something that I can deal with. Just was curious if others notice. Thanks
Mike

Oct 17, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,292 of 9,040
oh well, least it's not notice once the album screen art is on. Its just we pay so much for a device like this and I want it to be perfect. But like I said I'm not going through the hassle sending it back. Its something that I can deal with. Just was curious if others notice. Thanks
Mike

The screen difference is par for the course (AMOLED vs LCD). LCDs are backlit and light bleeding from edges is common.

Oct 17, 2015 at 5:16 PM Post #2,293 of 9,040
The screen difference is par for the course (AMOLED vs LCD). LCDs are backlit and light bleeding from edges is common.
Thanks for the info now I don't have to sweat the small things. I just was looking too and notice they are both different screen types LCD & Amoled that explains it. I must say that the AK100II has much longer batter life then this here AK380. Thanks again!
Mike

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:00 PM Post #2,294 of 9,040
My 380 is undergoing burn-in at the moment - whatever that actually means. Out of the box observations:

The larger display is worth it alone for me - improved layout and a joy to use. Found the 240 too fiddly and impractical for searches etc. Navigation is quick and slick and the layout of the menus has been improved. There is also an album tiling feature allowing very quick visual navigation of your collection via clipart (3x4 on screen at any one time). 

The LCD display is black when switched off (versus grey on the OLED) - but contrast when on isn't quite as good - but hard to notice unless you do a side by side. Colour temp is noticeably cooler though on the 380
The micro-sd slot is very fiddly on the 380 - likely because its out edge is at an angle. Took me literally 1 minute to seat the card successfully.
The new case is shiny and brown - not such a big fan - but the fit is immaculate as we have come to expect
Volume calibration is different and threw me at first. Comfortable listening for me is around 85 to 100 whereas on the 240 it was 45 to 55. Max level increases from 75 (240) to 150 (380). 

Sound Q ? Well out of the box, I struggled to hear a difference between the 380 and 240 on DSD and ie800s and Laylas (a new set also burning in). Will perform a more critical comparison this weekend.
I have a question from a few months ago about your impression. What do you mean when you mention The LCD display is black when switched off? Is their a option of on or off? Thanks in advance
Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back