Chord
Mojo
Hugo

Cayin
C5DAC

iBasso
D-Zero
D-Zero mk2

Have heard the Tera Player as well.  It is a matter of preference.  From an overall, considering design, build, UI and SQ, the AK380 is still the top for the moment.

What about from a pure sound quality point of view...

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:30 AM Post #2,312 of 9,040
What about from a pure sound quality point of view...

preference for SQ is like taste for food.  big fan of durian but many others here will actually puke at the smell of it.

the ak380 is currently the reference for comparison with other DAPs as well as auditioning headphones.  when on the go using city public transport, will use either n5 or paw5000 as prefer balanced.  the zx100 while on a long flight!

while really dig how good some of the portable DAC/amps sound, especially the pair of Chords but don't really fancy a stack on the move.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:46 AM Post #2,313 of 9,040

care to quote a few?

True. There are virtually NO DAPs that come close to the price point. Several come close to or are on par with the AK380 in overall performance, but there are no real price competitors out there. But it's much more about form factor, and functionality and that massive onboard memory. But still, it's hard to think of a competitor. 

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:16 AM Post #2,314 of 9,040
I can see were this is going to go already & Dosent look like it will be good. That being said everyone has there own opinion but as AK380 owner. I'm just going to say I Have the Ak100II also and it's a big improvement. With my Oppo PM-1 through my Moon Audio Silver Dragon V3 cable. Yes the AK380 is pricey. For me it's worth the money & I'm happy with my setup! Simply A amazing Combo for me. Also don't plan on getting the AK AMP, I get more then enough power through my PM-1. That being said is everyone else a happy AK380 owner? I'm one.
Mike

The external amp is not just about power. It improves every aspect of the music, even with IEMs which don't require a lot of power. U should consider giving it a listen, most places have a 30 day return policy.

It's one of the things that was such a big draw for me to get the AK380. The combo makes such a neat little package and so easy to travel with. Just my opinion.

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:36 AM Post #2,315 of 9,040
The external amp is not just about power. It improves every aspect of the music, even with IEMs which don't require a lot of power. U should consider giving it a listen, most places have a 30 day return policy.

It's one of the things that was such a big draw for me to get the AK380. The combo makes such a neat little package and so easy to travel with. Just my opinion.

Sure that's what an amp is supposed to do right! It just doesn't only amplify, it creates a whole magic curtain around your music. An iem that needs an amp for the 380 please tell me you're kidding.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:12 AM Post #2,316 of 9,040

Thanks for the advice. But I actually made a promise to my wife after getting the AK380, Enough is enough My combo set with my Oppo PM-1 & Silver Dragon V3 put me at $5,345.00 I'm happy with the AK380 alone. It's a magical DAP!
Mike

Oct 22, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #2,317 of 9,040
How many people like myself are happy with the AK380 DAP alone with out the AK Amp? Its just crazy that we pay $3,500.00 and $700.00 more to bring out even a better musical experence. You would think Ak380 woulnt need anything extra being how pricey it is on Its own. Like I been saying I think it's amazing as it self, anyone else agree that maybe it's not worth the AK Amp even if we can afford it? Just saying the AK380 alone has a Amazing sound stage. Best SQ I ever heard.

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #2,318 of 9,040
How many people like myself are happy with the AK380 DAP alone with out the AK Amp? Its just crazy that we pay $3,500.00 and $700.00 more to bring out even a better musical experence. You would think Ak380 woulnt need anything extra being how pricey it is on Its own. Like I been saying I think it's amazing as it self, anyone else agree that maybe it's not worth the AK Amp even if we can afford it? Just saying the AK380 alone has a Amazing sound stage. Best SQ I ever heard.

Seeing how much the amp boosts the performance, I doubt anyone would tell you it's not "worth" to get it. It's like you pay $100 for a concert and by adding $20 more, you can get a seat much nearer to the stage and the seat itself is wider and more comfortable. Is AK380 itself amazing enough? Yes. Is the amp just some gimmick to make you pay more? No. You can argue "while not just make it one whole package and charge you $4200 to begin with", but as a separate add-on the amp does make a significant difference alright.

With that said, the amp does have one con: the AK380+amp is damn heavy to hold as a so-called portable player. I'm pretty sure if I throw that thing at someone, he would likely head straight to the funeral house. And what you said reminds me of how A&K claiming AK240 as "The Ultimate"... yeah right, since then we got AK240SS the ultimater, AK380 the ultimatest, then AK380+amp the ultimatestier. Apparently there's no such thing as amazing enough for A&K. 

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #2,319 of 9,040

I haven't A/B tested the amp with Layla, but I'm pretty sure they sound better through the amp. I don't think the amp is crazy, it's actually pretty brilliant, as you are right: even by itself, the AK380 sounds phenomenal.

Anyway, the reason for the amp isn't IEMs, it's full size headphones; the amp making IEMs sound better is just a bonus. The HE1000 sound fantastic through the amp, and I'm only half-way through the 150 hours burn in suggested in the manual. I got the Silver Dragon balanced connector cable today, and though I only had a few minutes with it so far, the total package is just blissful.

Oct 23, 2015 at 2:45 AM Post #2,320 of 9,040
I have a question from a few months ago about your impression. What do you mean when you mention The LCD display is black when switched off? Is their a option of on or off? Thanks in advance
Mike
I don't see this was answered, however I believe that the original poster had the screens back to front in the comments, I really do not see how OLED can be grey with no image on screen, and LCD black, that screams at me that this is in reverse!

Oct 23, 2015 at 6:23 AM Post #2,321 of 9,040
I haven't A/B tested the amp with Layla, but I'm pretty sure they sound better through the amp. I don't think the amp is crazy, it's actually pretty brilliant, as you are right: even by itself, the AK380 sounds phenomenal.

Anyway, the reason for the amp isn't IEMs, it's full size headphones; the amp making IEMs sound better is just a bonus. The HE1000 sound fantastic through the amp, and I'm only half-way through the 150 hours burn in suggested in the manual. I got the Silver Dragon balanced connector cable today, and though I only had a few minutes with it so far, the total package is just blissful.
About burn in. I would say I'm bout 10 hrs into on it. Just gotten it last week. Does the burn in really make that much of a difference? To me I can somewhat tell each time I play a song a day later the SQ gets wider.or could just be me. Another question. Is it safe to have the player run through the USB port and let it play through a safe volume for bout 6 to 8 hrs a day through our headphones For a quicker burn in process? Also thanks for the few responds above.
Mike

Oct 23, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,325 of 9,040
Can someone compare the optical out of the 380 vs the 120?

Picked up a 120 for a great price, and want to know how much I'm going to be losing out on...

Presumably not $3200 worth of difference, but am still intruiged...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back