Astell&Kern AK380
Sep 2, 2015 at 12:55 PM Post #1,922 of 9,041
Maybe they just sent you the same unit you returned?  That would bug me a bit . . . seems like the kind of thing that could get worse with time.  Mine arrives tomorrow . . .  I'll be looking for light bleed !!!  :angry_face:

You only really notice it when turning it on or charging when powered off (dark screens). It's hard to tell during use.

I don't think it's the same unit, but I'm gonna try 1 more replacement.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:01 AM Post #1,923 of 9,041
You only really notice it when turning it on or charging when powered off (dark screens). It's hard to tell during use.

I don't think it's the same unit, but I'm gonna try 1 more replacement.

If is still under warranty should ask for replacement and this can't be fix due to the LED pixels display issues.

You will see this on the iPhone 6, especially black color wall paper on the top of the screen display.

Some are very minor and some are obvious.

Sep 3, 2015 at 1:16 AM Post #1,924 of 9,041
If is still under warranty should ask for replacement and this can't be fix due to the LED pixels display issues.

Could be just a bug. May be fixed with firmware upgrade.

You will see this on the iPhone 6, especially black color wall paper on the top of the screen display.

Some are very minor and some are obvious.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:05 AM Post #1,930 of 9,041
I've tried the AK380 and my impressions are quite bad. Compared to my Hugo it immediately seemed to be more digital sounding and the overall tonal balance just did not seem as natural as the Hugo. Maybe it's just not my taste. Weight, size, ergonomics are in one word terrible. Price cannot be justified at all in my eyes. Some cheap DAP + Hugo easily outclasses it in my eyes, not to mention the fact that the portability of such a set up would not be really any worse than the 380 due to its bad ergonomics. Adding an amp would make it even worse in that respect.

My friend demoed the amp today and his comment was: Don't know why it exists if you're not gonna go balanced. Makes the music sound slow (no idea what that's supposed to be as I'll have to talk to him more about that).

So far, not impressed about the 380 overall. I'm not trying to hate it simply based on its high price or the facts that it's an A&K, so don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the AK240 and I like its sound signature more than the 380. But it may be just me. :p

In conclusion: Ultimate DAP? Kind of.      Something desirable? Not really.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:44 AM Post #1,931 of 9,041
  I've tried the AK380 and my impressions are quite bad. Compared to my Hugo it immediately seemed to be more digital sounding and the overall tonal balance just did not seem as natural as the Hugo. Maybe it's just not my taste. Weight, size, ergonomics are in one word terrible. Price cannot be justified at all in my eyes. Some cheap DAP + Hugo easily outclasses it in my eyes, not to mention the fact that the portability of such a set up would not be really any worse than the 380 due to its bad ergonomics. Adding an amp would make it even worse in that respect.

My friend demoed the amp today and his comment was: Don't know why it exists if you're not gonna go balanced. Makes the music sound slow (no idea what that's supposed to be as I'll have to talk to him more about that).

So far, not impressed about the 380 overall. I'm not trying to hate it simply based on its high price or the facts that it's an A&K, so don't get me wrong. I really enjoyed the AK240 and I like its sound signature more than the 380. But it may be just me. :p

In conclusion: Ultimate DAP? Kind of.      Something desirable? Not really

Tried for how long? Do you own it? I've had my AK380 for a week. Its definitely superior to the AK240 by itself. With the Chord Hugo, it gives out the best portable sound on th planet.

Sep 3, 2015 at 7:51 AM Post #1,933 of 9,041
  Tried for how long? Do you own it? I've had my AK380 for a week. Its definitely superior to the AK240 by itself. With the Chord Hugo, it gives out the best portable sound on th planet.

I have tried it for a bit over 2 hours at a headphone store. It is superior to the AK240 in some respects yes, but the overall tonality is more pleasing to me with the 240. Like I said, it's just my personal preference. From my somewhat negative post you quoted it is apparent I did not end up buying it although I was planning to. And yes, I like my Hugo as well. Perhaps the 380 just isn't my cup of tea. :p

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,934 of 9,041
  I have tried it for a bit over 2 hours at a headphone store. It is superior to the AK240 in some respects yes, but the overall tonality is more pleasing to me with the 240. Like I said, it's just my personal preference. From my somewhat negative post you quoted it is apparent I did not end up buying it although I was planning to. And yes, I like my Hugo as well. Perhaps the 380 just isn't my cup of tea. :p

I urge you to buy it and try it for at least a week. If you don't like it you can return, but I bet you won't. Since you already have a Hugo, you will have the best portable on the planet. I gave my AK240 my wife...I could never go back. The 380 needs at least few days to burn in..

Sep 3, 2015 at 8:23 AM Post #1,935 of 9,041

I urge you to buy it and try it for at least a week. If you don't like it you can return, but I bet you won't. Since you already have a Hugo, you will have the best portable on the planet. I gave my AK240 my wife...I could never go back. The 380 needs at least few days to burn in..

I am actually on the search for a DAP to solely take on the job of feeding the Hugo digital data and it'll be a long while before it ends. It will come to an end and at the moment I cannot say the AK380's really a big contender for me as I prefer coaxial over optical which A&K players do not have. YMMV
Thank you for the enthusiasm though.
Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back