Astell&Kern AK380
Aug 19, 2015 at 1:28 PM Post #1,666 of 9,041

Also , people are talking on how it will match they jeans... from this I can understand that they using it , probably "on the go"...
I pretty sure, when you are "on the go", the details/resolution/bla-bla-bla from ak380, are overkill , and you will simply not get them while "on-the-go"...
Personalty, when I "on the go" (gym/city/etc), I can't find differences as you (I sold the ak240).
Can't concentrate on music... music is only background while walking/jumping/running...

To get all the details and to enjoy the music for real "you" need to listen to it in relax state... A long flight, at silent nights... and so...
And for this sessions, the Hugo is just much better and much cheaper.

p.s.: What is P1?

Cowon P1.
A real little gem in my humble opinion.

Aug 20, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #1,668 of 9,041
red this today. 
Alex An Facebook page

Luckly I could get AK380 AMP final version few days ago and have been testing it.

If you have 380, you must get it. 
If you don't have 380.... I am sorry...

Available early Sep. (MSRP US$669)

thoughts on the price?

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:14 AM Post #1,669 of 9,041

Cowon P1.
A real little gem in my humble opinion.

The golden looks cool! (and got optical output)
But 1K$ for cowon ? Maybe only after re-branding ... Cowon to Dilpa&Kermit (by the same scheme as Iriver -> AK) :))

Actually is unfair to test ak380 vs Hugo, will be interesting how it will stand coupled with the dedicated amp..
4000$ dAp... Much cheaper then Leica!

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,670 of 9,041
1K$ for cowon ? :)

Actually is unfair to test ak380 vs Hugo, will be interesting how it will stand coupled with the dedicated amp..
4000$ dAp... Much cheaper then Leica!

A Leica non digital camera,m6, like an IWC Portuguese Chronograph is a classic that will last for years if looked after.
All DAPs are by their very nature ephemeral. In a year a replacement comes along. AK380 is over priced and underwhelming.

Aug 20, 2015 at 10:25 AM Post #1,671 of 9,041
A Leica non digital camera,m6, like an IWC Portuguese Chronograph is a classic that will last for years if looked after.
All DAPs are by their very nature ephemeral. In a year a replacement comes along. AK380 is over priced and underwhelming.

AK is still not Leica..

But ...

Got the M8 in ~ 2008 for 3.5K, today it's a liitle bit more then 1K (and it's too much for this bulky 8MPX) 
But I pretty enjoy the pictures, its was very uncomfortable camera but , with good lens, it's gives superb pics.

Leica has it's magic, probably the AK  also got some magic ... At least no other dap can compare actually. 
It's very hard to build a good products those days, AK succeeded.

Today, Nikon gives me much more, but I really miss my chrome baby...
By the way , I didn't miss the AK240 :)

Aug 20, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #1,672 of 9,041
  red this today. 

thoughts on the price?

$669 for the amp module puts it in the same range as most high end portable amps from ALO, RSA, and CL. Too bad it only works for AK380.

On a totally different note, the I still don't get why the Hugo keeps getting mentioned with AK DAPs as a comparison. I think the more useful comparison of Hugo would be for:
  1. ALO CDM
  2. Woo Audio WA-8 (still in pre production)
  3. Aurender Flow (yes, it does have a mSATA port)
  4. CL Theorem 720P
  5. Centrance M8 or Mini8

All of the above are expensive and fully portable DAC/Amp and will not fit in one's pocket.

If the comparison of Hugo to AK is purely SQ, then why not mention another 10-12 high end audio brands? I swear at this rate, some newbie is going to buy a Hugo and plug in their headphones and ask "how do I upload my music?".

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #1,673 of 9,041
I fail to see how the Hugo is classified as a portable item, as every pic shows it clearly is not easily transportable.

I compared Macpro/Hugo vs my 901&minibox, the Hugo sounded brash and brittle compared to the organic sound of the HIFIMAN, which just sounds like music and certainly does a more accurate portrayal of what instruments actually sound like.

Love the amp module for $699, sometimes I think AK and C.Altmann are having a competition, "just how far will these guys go? "

Aug 20, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #1,674 of 9,041

$669 for the amp module puts it in the same range as most high end portable amps from ALO, RSA, and CL. Too bad it only works for AK380.

(Snip!)

All of the above are expensive and fully portable DAC/Amp and will not fit in one's pocket.

If the comparison of Hugo to AK is purely SQ, then why not mention another 10-12 high end audio brands? I swear at this rate, some newbie is going to buy a Hugo and plug in their headphones and ask "how do I upload my music?".

I agree with bflat...All are expensive none are really portable. "Transportable Yes" but not portable.  I take my Cord Hugo along with my AK-380 and Layla's into work each and every day. I have a simple light and excellent bag that I put all my equipment into and then it goes into my napsack.  The Cord (not portable but transportable) and it's worth taking in every day!  

If AK has truly built an amp that is as resolving and sounds as good as the Hugo PLUS being able to fit into my breast jacket suit pocket I will be an early adopter...

Sincerely,
-Speed 

Aug 20, 2015 at 6:17 PM Post #1,675 of 9,041
All DAPs are by their very nature ephemeral. In a year a replacement comes along. AK380 is over priced and underwhelming.tI​

It is more like Leica M3 with Single Stroke instead of M6, now we are talking classic and still usable.

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #1,676 of 9,041
I disagree. AK380 probably won't even last a year before a $5000 special edition comes out...

Aug 21, 2015 at 4:46 AM Post #1,677 of 9,041
The reason for the Hugo comparisons in my mind is that you can run a Hugo and FiiO X5 (as example) which is jacket pocketable, and whilst the presentation is different, is on the same playing field as AK...

If the amp module pushes the 380 higher, then I'll have to compare the overall unit to my M2 (and the PAW gold) as I went with the M2 over AK (240) due to the power on offer...

Aug 21, 2015 at 7:00 AM Post #1,678 of 9,041
All this discussion about the AK380 makes me a bit hesitant going into my opportunity to try it on Sunday. That being said, the AK380 here costs maybe $300 more than the AK240SS (about $2500 for the AK240SS and $2800 for the AK380). I have a stock AK240 at the moment, but it's technically a loan from a family member, so I would probably need to get my own portable DAP at some point).

Despite the Hugo being technically a portable, I've never been able to actually use it on the go. I don't have any pockets big enough to hold the Hugo (during the summer, maybe during the winter I might wear a coat with a large enough pocket).

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #1,679 of 9,041
  All this discussion about the AK380 makes me a bit hesitant going into my opportunity to try it on Sunday. That being said, the AK380 here costs maybe $300 more than the AK240SS (about $2500 for the AK240SS and $2800 for the AK380). I have a stock AK240 at the moment, but it's technically a loan from a family member, so I would probably need to get my own portable DAP at some point).

Despite the Hugo being technically a portable, I've never been able to actually use it on the go. I don't have any pockets big enough to hold the Hugo (during the summer, maybe during the winter I might wear a coat with a large enough pocket).

What are you hesitant about? (Apart from the huge cost of course).

If you're going to have a listen, enjoy your chance to try it!

I have one word of advice though (and I wonder if others have noticed this) - IMHO, like a lot of high-end kit, the AK380 needs a little time to warm up. After about 15-20 minutes of playing it really starts to sing :) So, don't listen to it cold and for less that that amount of time.

Aug 21, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #1,680 of 9,041

What are you hesitant about? (Apart from the huge cost of course).

If you're going to have a listen, enjoy your chance to try it!

I have one word of advice though (and I wonder if others have noticed this) - IMHO, like a lot of high-end kit, the AK380 needs a little time to warm up. After about 15-20 minutes of playing it really starts to sing :) So, don't listen to it cold and for less that that amount of time.

Well there's definitely people out there who say it's not a worthy purchase, so I'm not 100% sure I should get it just yet. Probably going to compare it to the Lotoo Paw Gold to see which one I like better. The main benefit of the AK380 is that it appears to be smaller and lighter than the Lotoo Paw Gold, and the interface might be a bit more appealing for my tastes at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back