Astell&Kern AK T5p (AKT5p) Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #32 of 130
I heard these at CanJam, balanced out of an AK240.  Sounded great.

Listened to a bunch of other things throughout the day.  Went back the next day thinking that the Oppo PM-3 was a potential purchase.  Then went back to A&K and listened to the AKT5P again.  I much preferred it.  I then listened to it through my iPod classic with no amp.  Still blown away by the sound.  I just sat there listening for an hour trying to figure out how I could snag a pair.  I'm still dreaming about it.

Aug 8, 2015 at 8:54 PM Post #34 of 130
Just placed an order with my good buddy Ted (teds headfood here on Head-Fi), so I should have them later this week. Excited!

Aug 9, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #35 of 130
By the way, I assume the cables are detachable; has anyone tried upgrade cables to their liking?

Aug 15, 2015 at 11:28 PM Post #36 of 130
This is a dead thread ...

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:06 AM Post #37 of 130
This is a dead thread ...

Of course it is. The market for high-end high-priced portable closed cans is fairly small to start with, and then the subset of that market for these, which are best paired with an AK player, is fairly vanishingly small. I'm in the relatively small of group of people prepared to pay top dollar for a closed portable can, but I'm never buying an AK player...

Aug 16, 2015 at 12:58 AM Post #38 of 130
Of course it is. The market for high-end high-priced portable closed cans is fairly small to start with, and then the subset of that market for these, which are best paired with an AK player, is fairly vanishingly small. I'm in the relatively small of group of people prepared to pay top dollar for a closed portable can, but I'm never buying an AK player...

Why not an AK player? Customer support?

Aug 16, 2015 at 1:57 AM Post #39 of 130
I love the AK100ii and AKT5p combo. I do agree it is very much a niche purchase. I always said i would never buy an AK player either, but I was curious. I loved my Pono but to me the 100ii was better. I have a great portable pairing now with the AKT5p. I do use the designated EQ settings. The AKT5p have an open hp sound about them for a closed hp.

Aug 16, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #40 of 130
I love the AK100ii and AKT5p combo. I do agree it is very much a niche purchase. I always said i would never buy an AK player either, but I was curious. I loved my Pono but to me the 100ii was better. I have a great portable pairing now with the AKT5p. I do use the designated EQ settings. The AKT5p have an open hp sound about them for a closed hp.

The open sound is common to the T5p, this just has a slightly better tonal balance I think. For the time being I'm happy enough to EQ the bass of my T5p lightly.

No AK player because I prefer using my phone as a transport for a USB DAC/amp - better UI, Spotify, can use the DAC with my laptop etc.

Aug 18, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #41 of 130
I just received my new AKT5p headphones today. My initial impression listening to them for a couple of hours is good, but I'm looking forward to getting some time on these before I make any firm judgements.

I'm not a fan of the cable since it doesn't seem to straighten out very well. I'm probably an upgrade candidate if it turns out I'm happy with these.

The one thing that is a little irksome is the warranty. A regular pair of T5ps have a 5 year warranty; the A&K version has a 90 day warranty. Also, no case like the Beyers, just a cardboard box.

Aug 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #42 of 130
  I just received my new AKT5p headphones today. My initial impression listening to them for a couple of hours is good, but I'm looking forward to getting some time on these before I make any firm judgements.

I'm not a fan of the cable since it doesn't seem to straighten out very well. I'm probably an upgrade candidate if it turns out I'm happy with these.

The one thing that is a little irksome is the warranty. A regular pair of T5ps have a 5 year warranty; the A&K version has a 90 day warranty. Also, no case like the Beyers, just a cardboard box.

Take your time....you should begin to appreciate them. The most annoying thing is the lack of a case for me. I do truly like the sound so I have kinda given them a pass for that.

Aug 18, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #43 of 130
Take your time....you should begin to appreciate them. The most annoying thing is the lack of a case for me. I do truly like the sound so I have kinda given them a pass for that.

There is a nice new case from Beyer actually! Meant for new T1 revision, but they mention it fits the T5p.

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #44 of 130

yeah, me too on the case. Still, for $1,400 retail ...

does the cable ever straighten out from being wrapped up when new? 

Aug 19, 2015 at 12:12 AM Post #45 of 130
about 6 hours on them now and they are sounding really good. I plan on a 2 week burn-in before I post my review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back