Astell&Kern AK T5p (AKT5p) Impressions Thread
Feb 27, 2015 at 12:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 130
Post 'em fellas!  
smile.gif
 I've been enjoying them tremendously over the past few days, and I'll have some impressions to post shortly.

Mar 9, 2015 at 10:09 PM Post #3 of 130
  Post 'em fellas!  
smile.gif
 I've been enjoying them tremendously over the past few days, and I'll have some impressions to post shortly.

Hi Warren:

Totally agreed buddy...these are now the most "open" sounding pair of closed headphones I've come across! Great job by A&K and beyer!

Mar 11, 2015 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 130
  Is this a T5p with added bass? if so it could be pretty special, i picked the T70p as the T5p i tested just didnt have enough...

Oh, no, this is much better than that.  I've heard modded T5ps, including a nearly legendary one modded by Audio DNYA, which was capable of insane bass.  But that tended to be more along the lines of moar bass, an almost wet and reverberant bass at times.  What I'm finding here, via an AK100II > AKT5p EQ > balanced out > AKT5p, is increased bass response yes, but some brutally fast bass at that.

Lemme put it this way, I wouldn't so much say that it's a T5p with bass... more like a T5p with balls.  
tongue.gif

Post 'em fellas!  
smile.gif

Hi Warren:

Totally agreed buddy...these are now the most "open" sounding pair of closed headphones I've come across! Great job by A&K and beyer!

I had left it unopened for days thinking "yeah right, how good can this be?"  Well, it's pretty effing good.  
smile.gif

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:16 PM Post #5 of 130
Quick question, can these ONLY be used with the AK players? If not, how does it sound without the dedicated EQ function in the AK players?

I love the regular T5p already (yeah, I'm with a minority there), so I'm definitely interested in these, but if they can only be used with AK players that's pretty much me out.

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #6 of 130
  Quick question, can these ONLY be used with the AK players? If not, how does it sound without the dedicated EQ function in the AK players?

I love the regular T5p already (yeah, I'm with a minority there), so I'm definitely interested in these, but if they can only be used with AK players that's pretty much me out.

Oh no, the can be used in regular non-balanced players too like my iPhone or iPod Classic. They come with an adapter for that. Just finishing up my review on them...very impressive closed headphones!

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #7 of 130
Oh no, the can be used in regular non-balanced players too like my iPhone or iPod Classic. They come with an adapter for that. Just finishing up my review on them...very impressive closed headphones!

Great, look forward to seeing the review. How different do they sound from non-AK sources?

(obviously if you attend to that aspect in your review I'll be happy to hold out until it's up)

Mar 14, 2015 at 10:18 PM Post #8 of 130
Great, look forward to seeing the review. How different do they sound from non-AK sources?

(obviously if you attend to that aspect in your review I'll be happy to hold out until it's up)

Hard to say as I can only compare them to my iDevices (iPad Air, iPhone 6, iPod Classic 120Gb version). But I can definitely say they really shine on my AK100II in balanced mode (this will definitely be in my review). Tomorrow, I'll run them on my main rig.

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #9 of 130
I don't like that AK made a specific EQ setting on their dap's for this headphone, the AKT5P has been re-tuned, yet still needs EQ... One would think a proper re-tune would be enough. What difference the EQ makes to the sound?

Apr 6, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 130
  I don't like that AK made a specific EQ setting on their dap's for this headphone, the AKT5P has been re-tuned, yet still needs EQ... One would think a proper re-tune would be enough. What difference the EQ makes to the sound?

This is kind of my question too.

I use my T5p via my phone connected to a Dragonfly 1.2 (probably soon to be a HA-2), the DF pairing gives the low end some more oomph and then a light EQ to the bass brings its response up and also adds a slight bit of warmth, the sum effect is an incredibly good closed can for my ears and purposes. Really curious how much AK have truly re-tuned things Vs EQ'd things...

Apr 6, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #11 of 130
I just want to know how the AKT5P sounds without the EQ so that I can understand if the AKT5P is worth owning even if I don't have an AK Dap, or if the AKT5P has been specifically tuned to be used in conjunction with the EQ on AK Daps.

Apr 8, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #12 of 130
Well whatever I ordered a set of AKT5P, the audio shop owner told me he liked the AKT5P over the standard T5P, said it was slightly warmer and bassier but still controlled, an improvement to his ears. Still I gotta say that having Astell & Kern written in big font across the whole top of the headband pisses me off lol, not a fan of AK stuff, much rather old school Beyerdynamic branding. Ah well.

Apr 9, 2015 at 6:40 AM Post #13 of 130
Well whatever I ordered a set of AKT5P, the audio shop owner told me he liked the AKT5P over the standard T5P, said it was slightly warmer and bassier but still controlled, an improvement to his ears. Still I gotta say that having Astell & Kern written in big font across the whole top of the headband pisses me off lol, not a fan of AK stuff, much rather old school Beyerdynamic branding. Ah well.

Ha, already posted in response to your post on the T5p thread. Keen to know your thoughts.

Apr 9, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #14 of 130

Congrats! I'm a big fan of the AKT5p's...I prefer them over the T5p's...heck I prefer them to the T1s. While you wait for them to arrive, please feel free to read my review of them (in my sig)...should help with your anticipation. 
redface.gif

Apr 9, 2015 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 130
^ I read your review. I didn't find it overly helpful or clear for someone who doesn't use an AK dap or doesn't use balanced. You didn't comment on how they sound balanced vs unbalanced. You didn't say if you used the AK EQ for the review. You didn't comment on how they sound with and without the AK EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back