Astell&Kern ACRO CA1000 Carriable Headphone Amp
Sep 27, 2023 at 12:19 AM Post #466 of 621
Question for CA1000 users, how responsive is the operating system? My use case would be playback from Micro SD and Qobuz?

Sep 27, 2023 at 1:46 AM Post #467 of 621
Question for CA1000 users, how responsive is the operating system? My use case would be playback from Micro SD and Qobuz?
I found it very very responsive and snappishly fast. The only issue I have with it is the UI because the screen is a bit small and typing can be hard if you want to do a search.

Otherwise, fantastic in terms of performance!

Oct 6, 2023 at 12:50 AM Post #468 of 621
Hi was anyone able to compare Ca1000 to Sp3000? How much is the difference in sound quality? I am interested in getting Ca1000 but not sure how it compares to other AK players or let's say burson soloist xp

Oct 14, 2023 at 1:59 AM Post #469 of 621
Has anyone experience with replacing his desktop dac + amp with Acro CA1000? Is it that good? And if so what DAC + AMP it was?
I have heard CA1000 few times during last 2 weeks in my local audio stroe with Hifiman HE1000 v2 Stealth (amazing hps) and my own set of cans like Quad Era-1, Aeon 2C and iems Craft Ears Four and it sounded quite interesting. Would have to borrow it to home to be sure how good is it comparing to my desktop set but Im curious in your experiences.

Oct 14, 2023 at 7:54 AM Post #470 of 621
Has anyone experience with replacing his desktop dac + amp with Acro CA1000? Is it that good? And if so what DAC + AMP it was?
I have heard CA1000 few times during last 2 weeks in my local audio stroe with Hifiman HE1000 v2 Stealth (amazing hps) and my own set of cans like Quad Era-1, Aeon 2C and iems Craft Ears Four and it sounded quite interesting. Would have to borrow it to home to be sure how good is it comparing to my desktop set but Im curious in your experiences.
I did for a period of time. It would have been sufficient if not for a buzz I got when using mini xlr adapters to my desktop dynaudios. I’ve had a litany of high end dacs and amps and for all but the Susvara/TC/Stealth/Expanse (that I’ve owned) the CA1000 or the T version (had both) would have been more than sufficient at my desktop. Again then preamp gave me a buzz in my near field speakers but likely due to the adapters I am not saying it was an Acros thing. I just moved on due to it.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 8:03 AM Post #471 of 621
You can pretty much replace your desktop dac + amp. It wil give you a little more freedom as you are no longer tethered. For instance if you need to get something from the fridge you can just walk with it. Not convenient but at least possible. You can listen in any room now.

It can play Apple Music, tidal, files from drive. It has all the headphone outputs minus 4pin xlr, it has pre am output (no buzz for me). I can power the susvara. I do it all the time. It has BT output including LDAC.

I’m likely going to upgrade to the CA1000T. I think it’s a very versatile Dac/amp.

I’ll pose another question has anyone compared the CA1000 and the CA1000T.

Oct 14, 2023 at 8:56 AM Post #472 of 621
You can pretty much replace your desktop dac + amp. It wil give you a little more freedom as you are no longer tethered. For instance if you need to get something from the fridge you can just walk with it. Not convenient but at least possible. You can listen in any room now.

It can play Apple Music, tidal, files from drive. It has all the headphone outputs minus 4pin xlr, it has pre am output (no buzz for me). I can power the susvara. I do it all the time. It has BT output including LDAC.

I’m likely going to upgrade to the CA1000T. I think it’s a very versatile Dac/amp.

I’ll pose another question has anyone compared the CA1000 and the CA1000T.
I have. And both are fabulous. To the other point, I would easily be happy with either as my single desktop headphone amp/streamer/pre-amp for powered speakers. Expensive? Yes, but worth it to me for decluttering my desk.

*the units I reviewed were loaner units unfortunately…

A&K CA1000T (w/ comparison)

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #474 of 621
I think CA1000 is worth it given its current price. If both were available with a difference or let's say £200 then I would go with T but as of now CA1000 is the way to go
I like the added ability of the T, to change between solid state and tube sound (or a combo of both). It’s an easy switch on the front section. I do think I liked the sound of the 1000 slightly more, but that NuTube sound is quite contagious…😎

Oct 14, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #475 of 621
I like the added ability of the T, to change between solid state and tube sound (or a combo of both). It’s an easy switch on the front section. I do think I liked the sound of the 1000 slightly more, but that NuTube sound is quite contagious…😎
That's an interesting take and I think it makes sense why someone would spend that extra bit for the tube however in my case I have Woo Audio WA8 which is a phenomenal ESS based Tube Dac/Amp in transportable style so for me personally omission of Tubes isn't much of a problem

Oct 15, 2023 at 7:15 AM Post #477 of 621
Thank you all for reply to my question. Anyway it wasnt exactly spot on but maybe I havent fully explained what I was asking about. I currently have desktop setup: SMSL M400 + FluxLab FA12 and prefer it fully balanced both. What I meant is a question if ACRO CA1000 is so good that can compete with good mid-fi desktop system like mine or similar priced one.
Another question that I came in mind is connect to iFi iTube2 tube buffer I also have. Is it possible to connect line out of Astell CA1000 to such buffer, and then connect it back to amp section? Can it be setup like that?

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #478 of 621
Yes it competes with mid level separates and could replace those components for ME.

I’m not sure I completely understand your 2nd question but I don’t think so. If you went out of the rear preouts I believe it shuts down the front outputs by output selection. I don’t believe both are active at the same time. It’s one or other. Not sure how you’d get a signal back in anyway.

Oct 15, 2023 at 3:02 PM Post #479 of 621
@OneEyedHito What I have in mind is: CA1000 lineout -> ifi iTube2 input and then ifi iTube2 output -> CA1000 amp input.
So taking internal DAC output of CA1000, this signal goes to tube buffer (ifi iTube) and then its sending back to CA1000 amp section.
ifi Itube2 is a tube preamp/buffer so it has 2RCA inputs and 2RCA outputs that can send tube buffered signal to amp.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #480 of 621
One thing to consider between the CA1000 and the CA1000T is that the T’s balanced output level is capped at 125/150 when in Super gain mode and not connected to power (volume level can be increased at lower gain settings but will not go any louder). In the end I returned mine and stuck to my original CA1000. There’s just something about its sound that I find very appealing. At its current drastically reduced price (599 GBP from Amazon UK) I think it’s a steal.
Edit - just checked Amazon again and it’s gone back to 799 GBP. Still a great price…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back