Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Mar 18, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #3,826 of 4,129
Dear @phiemon I still don’t get the Apple dongle comparison, to be honest. According to audiosciencereview testing it has roughly 1/10th the power output of the SP3000 (ca. 300milliwatts SP3k @32ohms, ca. 31 milliwatts Apple Dongle @33ohms).

Anyways, I think there’s a little argument here because you keep coming back to this thread, telling us which deficits our beloved device has in your opinion vs your latest acquisition.

Btw. I love your opinions and value them, It’s just my pov when I try to use Birds Eye view.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 12:04 AM Post #3,827 of 4,129
Dear @phiemon I still don’t get the Apple dongle comparison, to be honest. According to audiosciencereview testing it has roughly 1/10th the power output of the SP3000 (ca. 300milliwatts SP3k @32ohms, ca. 31 milliwatts Apple Dongle @33ohms).

Anyways, I think there’s a little argument here because you keep coming back to this thread, telling us which deficits our beloved device has in your opinion vs your latest acquisition.

I hope you don’t give your ex-girlfriends regular calls telling them how much better you like the current one 😆

Btw. I love your opinions and value them, It’s just my pov when I try to use Birds Eye view.
Perhaps the power curve varies significantly. The design should prioritize sensitive items, focusing on providing a silent background and gradually increasing at low levels.

If you have a MacBook Pro with an Intel processor and have installed both Windows and macOS, you may notice different sound signatures on the same hardware.

In Windows, a volume setting of 4/100 may be considered low, as raising the volume can result in clipping and a very harsh sound signature. On the other hand, macOS may produce a thicker and more fluid sound with greater bass extension, allowing for a volume setting of about 15/100 as equality to windows.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:55 AM Post #3,829 of 4,129
After reading everything on this thread I decided to take the plunge on SP3k, bit late to the party though.

The device will be my side grade for traveling purposes since my RS8 is too bulky to carry around.

Any tips and tricks I should know for AK device?
Yes, enjoy it like I do and don’t listen to anything that @phiemon says.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:17 AM Post #3,830 of 4,129
Guys, that's slowly enough now, please come down, enjoy the music and leave it alone. You're starting to be insulting. I, on the other hand, have always behaved respectfully and factual, speaking on my own experience. I also apologized when I felt I had gone a little too far. But you're getting a little carried away now. Thanks.

(Nevertheless, my invitation is still open.)

@nfandi @CharlyBrown

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #3,831 of 4,129
Guys, that's slowly enough now, please come down, enjoy the music and leave it alone. You're starting to be insulting. I, on the other hand, have always behaved respectfully and factual, speaking on my own experience. I also apologized when I felt I had gone a little too far. But you're getting a little carried away now. Thanks.

@nfandi @CharlyBrown
I have written nothing that is insulting and is not factual. You just wish to remain the centre of attention in the spotlight as though it is we who are somehow at fault.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:25 AM Post #3,832 of 4,129
After reading everything on this thread I decided to take the plunge on SP3k, bit late to the party though.

The device will be my side grade for traveling purposes since my RS8 is too bulky to carry around.

Any tips and tricks I should know for AK device?

Late to the party has the advantage you get better pricing now vs. when the device was just released!

I think the SP3k is also a little on the heavy and bulky side but It’s just ok for me. Or I have come to get used to it.

@nfandi @CharlyBrown

I hope you don’t refer to my lazy joke? If yes, apologies because I didn’t want to insult you.

Mar 19, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #3,833 of 4,129
Late to the party has the advantage you get better pricing now vs. when the device was just released!

I think the SP3k is also a little on the heavy and bulky side but It’s just ok for me. Or I have come to get used to it.

I hope you don’t refer to my lazy joke? If yes, apologies because I didn’t want to insult you.

I honestly just sold mine because the size and weight of the thing was not workable for me. Sound was amazing though.

Mar 20, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #3,834 of 4,129
I’m so sure it is one of the best !
0A90C598-0C07-41D4-A80D-68497B7CDD34.jpeg

Mar 22, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #3,836 of 4,129
Enjoying the SP3000. Took a while to add this to my collection and currently have the store DAP on loan whilst waiting for my new one to arrive. Ironically they had sold their last one just a few hours before.

Brief impressions on the DAC filter and DAR.

DAC filter: Sharp roll-off. Seems the most natural to the vocals. Adding delay mellows the sound at the expense of clarity. Almost like a subtle resonance or echo. I prefer the delay off.

DAR.

Off: Dark background. Very clean. More engaging than the SP2000 which is relatively sterile and less dynamic.
PCM: It's like the step up to multi-BA driver IEM's. Or adding a BCD to the mix. Soundstage more holographic and 'busier'. It's like moving into a smaller, acoustically treated two-channel room. There's a subtle coloration favouring the low mids. Could vocals be softer but more dynamic? Mids are more forward.
DSD: Richer again. Especially low mids. More laid back and mellow. Warmer perhaps... towards that organic, relaxed analogue sound.

The differences are subtle. Oriolus Trailii. Volume 60.

I haven't compared the DAR to the MUSE equivalent in ROON yet. Enough thinking for a day. Just going to enjoy the music.

Edit: SP3000 does it cleaner and more natural than Roon although the DSD upsampling in Roon was very close especially with that layered enveloping sound.

My preference for PCM v DSD depends on genre and track.

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 4:39 PM Post #3,837 of 4,129
Enjoying the SP3000. Took a while to add this to my collection and currently have the store DAP on loan whilst waiting for my new one to arrive. Ironically they had sold their last one just a few hours before.

Brief impressions on the DAC filter and DAR.

DAC filter: Sharp roll-off. Seems the most natural to the vocals. Adding delay mellows the sound at the expense of clarity. Almost like a subtle resonance or echo. I prefer the delay off.

DAR.

Off: Dark background. Very clean. More engaging than the SP2000 which is relatively sterile and less dynamic.
PCM: It's like the step up to multi-BA driver IEM's. Or adding a BCD to the mix. Soundstage more holographic and 'busier'. It's like moving into a smaller, acoustically treated two-channel room. There's a subtle coloration favouring the low mids. Could vocals be softer but more dynamic?
DSD: Richer again. Especially low mids. More laid back and mellow. Warmer perhaps... towards that organic, relaxed analogue sound.

The differences are subtle. Oriolus Trailii. Volume 60.

I haven't compared the DAR to the MUSE equivalent in ROON yet. Enough thinking for a day. Just going to enjoy the music.
Enjoy the player it really is a fantastic and technical marvel.

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:12 PM Post #3,839 of 4,129
What is the purpose of this thing?
For an almost 400.00 thing, they don’t even bother to discribe the product all that well. But if I was guessing it looks like an adapter of some sort. Perhaps an 1/4” adapter.

Mar 23, 2024 at 7:16 PM Post #3,840 of 4,129
For an almost 400.00 thing, they don’t even bother to discribe the product all that well. But if I was guessing it looks like an adapter of some sort. Perhaps an 1/4” adapter.
Looks like a variation of the grounded 4.4 adapter they had for the sp2000. Unless the 4.4 line out wasn’t properly grounded, I’m not sure what the purpose would be either.

With the plethora of 1/4inch to 3.5mm adapters it looks more like 4.4?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back