Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Mar 23, 2024 at 7:25 PM Post #3,841 of 3,962
What is the purpose of this thing?
I see they also make a version for Sony DAPs that plugs into the 4.4mm and 3.5mm and outputs to 4.4mm...

On the Sony version they claim the using the 4.4mm and 3.5mm as ground, outputting to 4.4 provides better noise isolation.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 24, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #3,842 of 3,962
I tried my HD800s on my SP3000 for the first time. I had never tried because of the reports of insufficient power output. Well... for me the reports are incorrect. At 100 they were plenty loud enough with good dynamics and punch.

Mar 24, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #3,843 of 3,962
I tried my HD800s on my SP3000 for the first time. I had never tried because of the reports of insufficient power output. Well... for me the reports are incorrect. At 100 they were plenty loud enough with good dynamics and punch.
We use the HD800s to demo players at most shows and I also never found it to be lacking. Used them to demo the SP3000T at CanJam NYC. Even in tube mode, with a lower power output than op-amp mode and a noisy environment, people had no issues with them being driven by the SP3000T or the SP3000 that we also had for demo.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Mar 24, 2024 at 1:10 PM Post #3,845 of 3,962
Well,it's not about the output or even if it sounds good,obviously it will,my HD660S2 which is also 300 ohm sounds great,but more about how much more it would scale with a good,quality and synergistic amp and the HD800S does scale.

I do not agree with a couple reviewers though who claim that AK SP3000 should be used only for iems or low ohm headphones,it's got plenty of power for most headphones and certainly there is no loss of performance once the vol.dial goes over 100 affecting soundstage/dynamics/softness of sound like GoldenSound claims in his review.But then again i take what he says (him and DMS)with a great pinch of salt after that laughable headphone tier list video made to create clicks and sensation.

Planars of course like Susvara/HE-6 are a different matter,you do need an amp or it will lack dynamics and sound thin with SP3000 but other than that it is plenty powerful for most headphones,especially dynamics.

Lieven is also a bit harsh in his under SP3000 review comment saying it's not recommended to drive alone HD800S with SP3000.He's a great reviewer but i think he's a bit biased regarding HD800S and drivability cause he's heard them over the years on high end amps of up to +$10000 and obviously the SP3000 can't compete there especially since the HD800 can scale so much on quality (and synergistic) amps.But,all in all SP3000+HD800S is more than fine.

Mar 24, 2024 at 3:17 PM Post #3,846 of 3,962
I see they also make a version for Sony DAPs that plugs into the 4.4mm and 3.5mm and outputs to 4.4mm...

On the Sony version they claim the using the 4.4mm and 3.5mm as ground, outputting to 4.4 provides better noise isolation.
What benefits can it bring when used with the SP3000? Or is it just snake oil?

We use the HD800s to demo players at most shows and I also never found it to be lacking. Used them to demo the SP3000T at CanJam NYC. Even in tube mode, with a lower power output than op-amp mode and a noisy environment, people had no issues with them being driven by the SP3000T or the SP3000 that we also had for demo.
Same from my experience, SP3000 and HD800s is a great match.

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #3,847 of 3,962
For an almost 400.00 thing, they don’t even bother to discribe the product all that well. But if I was guessing it looks like an adapter of some sort. Perhaps an 1/4” adapter.
no, that is because this item is newly launched (even in HK) so a English version of this item is not yet being translated (a clear explanation is done in Chinese/Cantonese version), this thing is used to tune the SQ of the cable, iem (has a different purpose/function compared to the usual older adapter)...

Mar 24, 2024 at 8:50 PM Post #3,848 of 3,962
no, that is because this item is newly launched (even in HK) so a English version of this item is not yet being translated (a clear explanation is done in Chinese/Cantonese version), this thing is used to tune the SQ of the cable, iem (has a different purpose/function compared to the usual older adapter)...
Tune the SQ by which mean. There are no reason for it.
More contact point => more degradation, more resultativity.
There are people that argue on add adapter can enhance the quality, that is pointless, less connection Alwayne better unless the adapter act as impedance matching between source and load if they are not match in the impedance ( but it is rare and no one use approach like this).

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #3,849 of 3,962
Tune the SQ by which mean. There are no reason for it.
More contact point => more degradation, more resultativity.
There are people that argue on add adapter can enhance the quality, that is pointless, less connection Alwayne better unless the adapter act as impedance matching between source and load if they are not match in the impedance ( but it is rare and no one use approach like this).
I forgot the actual changes (from what to what), but in his vids he explain if you find SP3000 is too xx (warm/sweet), then u can tune/change the sound (maybe SQ is not the correct word)... as for your contact point, I have no comment since I am not the 1 who made this but once you tried, you will just find different adapter really did change the sound signature subtly (due to different internal wiring)... I am referring to the older adapter (this)..

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:17 PM Post #3,850 of 3,962
I forgot the actual changes (from what to what), but in his vids he explain if you find SP3000 is too xx (warm/sweet), then u can tune/change the sound (maybe SQ is not the correct word)... as for your contact point, I have no comment since I am not the 1 who made this but once you tried, you will just find different adapter really did change the sound signature subtly (due to different internal wiring)... I am referring to the older adapter (this)..
When you plug a adapter it always changes.
To change the sound signature, it may be.
But to say it is better it is no ways. And people saying this is percept degradation as better. As if you need a more transparent sound signature, change your cable does not change it by tuning by a adapter.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #3,851 of 3,962
When you plug a adapter it always changes.
To change the sound signature, it may be.
But to say it is better it is no ways. And people saying this is percept degradation as better. As if you need a more transparent sound signature, change your cable does not change it by tuning by a adapter.
did not mention better or worse so argument not valid... could not really understand your last sentence (change your cable does not change it by tuning by a adapter), you mean like you does not need to use an adapter to change the sound sig? better to do it directly using cable?

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #3,853 of 3,962
did not mention better or worse so argument not valid... could not really understand your last sentence (change your cable does not change it by tuning by a adapter), you mean like you does not need to use an adapter to change the sound sig? better to do it directly using cable?
Yes. I do not deny adapter can change sound signature. My claim is that, it is not the good way because degradation will come along with.

Mar 24, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #3,854 of 3,962
Yes. I do not deny adapter can change sound signature. My claim is that, it is not the good way because degradation will come along with.
I see, yes, I agree with you but this really comes down to personal preferences.. some might want to tune sound sig by using the cheapest solution rather than buy a whole new expensive cable (temporary yet permanent solution)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back