Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 8, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #3,391 of 4,126
I can’t hear any difference between dac filter modes. It seems to be a very subtle difference to my ears or none at all. When I switch I hear I very faint pop.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #3,392 of 4,126
Sounds like the AK4191 DSP chip is more robust with DAC filters than the built-in function from AK4499EQ chip. Below is my post from 2021 and to me I still hear the same differences:

For bright headphones/IEMs with treble peaks, I tend to like the NOS (Super Slow Roll-Off) as treble takes a seat back in the presentation while mids are more prominent. For warm headphones, the default minimum phase fast roll off (short delay sharp roll off) is nice, and for the most bass impact, widest soundstage and extended treble, the linear phase fast roll off (sharp roll off) is the choice. The apodizing filter (low dispersion) dials down on the elements from the linear phase fast roll off (soundstage, impact and treble extension) in return for a more smooth and relaxed presentation

Revisiting the DAC filters recently, and now I do NOT think apodizing filter reduces the soundstage anymore. Instead of a sharp attack on note edges with the Linear Phase Fast Roll off, I get rounder, more natural attack with the Apodizing which reflects from less energy in the filter ringing. The minimum phase slow roll-off does lean to a collapsed soundstage, a more centered image rather than expanded depth with a more dense texture than apodizing filter. The linear phase slow roll off also does this collapsed soundstage, but with same effect in the note edges as apodizing filter and a more powerful impact.

Dec 8, 2023 at 12:42 PM Post #3,393 of 4,126
What sound aspects change with burn-in? I've had my SP3000 for a few days and it is much less spacious, holographic and more lean in the bass than I remember it being from hearing it at CanJam SoCal this year. Hoping this changes with burn-in!

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #3,394 of 4,126
Cross-post from the PA10 thread:

Just plugged my new Hifiman HE1000 V3 into the SP3K with the PA10 in line out mode and it is an instant win.

Plenty of juice and sounding incredible. The PA10 is one impressive little amp!
Getting a pretty much equal amount of enjoyment from the stack as I do from the Naim Uniti Atom HE.

Dec 10, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #3,395 of 4,126
Cross-post from the PA10 thread:

Just plugged my new Hifiman HE1000 V3 into the SP3K with the PA10 in line out mode and it is an instant win.

Plenty of juice and sounding incredible. The PA10 is one impressive little amp!
Getting a pretty much equal amount of enjoyment from the stack as I do from the Naim Uniti Atom HE.
I get plenty of power output from the SP3000. What was the motivation in acquiring a PA10? Just curious for some feedback?

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:16 AM Post #3,396 of 4,126
I compared the sp3000 alone vs the DAP combined with the amp- the difference is rather obvious for something more difficult to drive.

Yes, the PA10 won’t let me drive the Susvara but even for iems having the additional juice helps. I prefer the RN6 with the amp vs without it.

And no, I am obviously not talking about how loud things get.

Dec 10, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #3,397 of 4,126
I compared the sp3000 alone vs the DAP combined with the amp- the difference is rather obvious for something more difficult to drive.

Yes, the PA10 won’t let me drive the Susvara but even for iems having the additional juice helps. I prefer the RN6 with the amp vs without it.

And no, I am obviously not talking about how loud things get.
We why are you selling all the gear when you like it so much?

Last edited:
Dec 10, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #3,398 of 4,126
We why are you selling all the gear when you like it so much?
Such are the times- one of the SP3K+PA10 or Mojo 2+Poly have to go.

I’d rather parting with the latter, however.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:02 AM Post #3,400 of 4,126
Further down the rabbit hole? What comes next? :)
Hehe! I was way down the rabbit hole back when I had my DAVE+Mscaler and Utopia 2022 with the Lazuli Ref+ cable.
I am trying to stick to my commitment to not keep stuff that doesn’t get enough use.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #3,401 of 4,126
I can’t hear any difference between dac filter modes. It seems to be a very subtle difference to my ears or none at all. When I switch I hear I very faint pop.
I see A18t on your list, the filter change the sound signature very insensitively in micro level of detail and time resolution.
As A18t have tia at the end of the nozzle, treble always be faster ( phase shift) then it is hard to detect the coherent.

Dec 11, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #3,402 of 4,126
What sound aspects change with burn-in? I've had my SP3000 for a few days and it is much less spacious, holographic and more lean in the bass than I remember it being from hearing it at CanJam SoCal this year. Hoping this changes with burn-in!
Things will change for the better over time, but the SP3000 doesn't exaggerate things and always keeps the sound at a balanced, accurate level.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #3,403 of 4,126
Hehe! I was way down the rabbit hole back when I had my DAVE+Mscaler and Utopia 2022 with the Lazuli Ref+ cable.
I am trying to stick to my commitment to not keep stuff that doesn’t get enough use.
Makes perfectly sense to me. I think you should always be able to enjoy all of your purchases and manage rotation. Sell what doesn't get included into the rotation on a regular basis.

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #3,404 of 4,126
Sounds like the AK4191 DSP chip is more robust with DAC filters than the built-in function from AK4499EQ chip. Below is my post from 2021 and to me I still hear the same differences:

Revisiting the DAC filters recently, and now I do NOT think apodizing filter reduces the soundstage anymore. Instead of a sharp attack on note edges with the Linear Phase Fast Roll off, I get rounder, more natural attack with the Apodizing which reflects from less energy in the filter ringing. The minimum phase slow roll-off does lean to a collapsed soundstage, a more centered image rather than expanded depth with a more dense texture than apodizing filter. The linear phase slow roll off also does this collapsed soundstage, but with same effect in the note edges as apodizing filter and a more powerful impact.

1702291738832.png

I think using the Filter name base on AKM specification can be more consistent. I will explain parameter base on my listening experience, hope that it can help.
The problem that the digital filter change some sound signature in time/frequency domain, as the result you can still hear this sound content but it is slightly different.
The Sound type and Remark from the AKM, IMO that does not give much useful information.
  • First the Edge, which indicate how fast the filter alter the impulse response of the content. The Super Slow Roll-off provide utral-sharp edge which make the transient nearly immediately.
    • When the Edge is sharp
      • It benefit the percussion such as drum, cymbal, guitar(metal wrire). When the response is fast, you will hear how fast the strike and impact/momentum of its (force/momentum) of ( string plug, or piano hammer striking) at both macro and micro level. Micro dynamic level is more important (IMO), it can resolve the dynamic, strike, texture of even the quite drum on the orchestra.
      • For string family like violin, fast impulse response give the impression of clearer leading edge, note start/stop and bow impact changes.
    • When the edge is round, the impulse response is slow.
      • It give the impression of softer attach on percussion. You can increase volume to increase SPL but never reach the feeling of impact.
      • For string like violin or vocal: you can still hear the content but it will be blur and lack of pull in/out dynamic.
  • Secondly, Impulse: from the visual image of IR you can get some information.
    • Post/pre echo/ringing. Theoretically, no ringing ensure the perfection reproduction of sound. Superslow row off have this characteristic, however, it might be too sharp.
      • both post/pre ringing cause the sound to be bluring and add distortion. It make the sound less clean on sound object border and start/stop of note.
      • Ringing can make the sound more pleasant, when the system is too hard - interm of sound signature.
      • For comparison with image, ringing will make the sound image bluring, loss sharpness.
      • It is very werid ont the description on Short Delay Sharp Roll-off and Sharp Roll-off. They claim that the two enhance the bass, make it powerfull. But IMO, the two filter have inferior bass performance in quality aspect such as attach, impact, texture. I can understand their complain, when ringing the sound will linger and might give more SPL sustain which can make the impression off um um um.
If you don't clarify the sound of them, just choose one and your brain will take adapt to the sound signature. But choose 1 that best suite for you might be the hard part because no filter is perfect. Even some filter that bad at performance like the sharp short delay sharp roll-off have better performance at low pass filter as the cutting slope is fast.

I'm happy with 2 Slow Roll-off and Super Slow roll-off.
  • Super Slow Roll Off give the best micro transient, tiny/quite instrumental will have its impact. But it give me the impression of timber of instrumental is note organic.
  • Slow Roll Off have middle value in Edge but it have symmetric in impulse response. It give the best organic, natural timber of instrumental.
  • Short delay Sharp Roll Off as I remember is the default filter. It make sound thick and narrow sound stage and blurring the micro detail in the ambience.

Dec 11, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #3,405 of 4,126
I see A18t on your list, the filter change the sound signature very insensitively in micro level of detail and time resolution.
As A18t have tia at the end of the nozzle, treble always be faster ( phase shift) then it is hard to detect the coherent.
I tried the filters on my full size cans with same results. Maybe it’s my old ears. :) Thanks for the reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back