Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #3,316 of 3,962
I love my SP3000 but I find when I’m going mobile with it, no matter where I touch it, I either wake the screen, press the volume wheel, or press one of the side buttons! It’s a big fella! Having the ability to disable some our all those options would be something I’d be interested in! @JasonNYC

Dec 1, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #3,317 of 3,962
Regarding a button lock, there currently is a volume wheel lock. Are people looking for a lock that disables both the volume and buttons at the same time or a separate volume lock and separate button lock?I think
Hi Jason thanks for taking the feedback. I think at this point people would be happy with whatever comes first and is easiest to implement for the AK team.

Locking both wheel and button is going to be appreciated by many, and of course locking separately would be best. Thing is, it may take more time to implement locking separately so for my own personal answer and gut feel I would say whichever is easiest and quickest to implement as this has been quite the issue for a good amount of existing users.

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 12:29 PM Post #3,318 of 3,962
I love my SP3000 but I find when I’m going mobile with it, no matter where I touch it, I either wake the screen, press the volume wheel, or press one of the side buttons! It’s a big fella! Having the ability to disable some our all those options would be something I’d be interested in! @JasonNYC
Tap to wake and volume wheel can both be disabled in settings. Button lock is currently not available.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Dec 1, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #3,319 of 3,962
For what it’s worth, I bought a soft clear crystal TPU case from AliExpress and I actually find that it’s more difficult to push the buttons when using it. I normally use the DAP while at my desk, but on the occasion when I do have it in my pockets I’ve not had any issues. I’m not saying this is the answer to the problem but it’s something to consider.

IMG_2659.jpeg

Dec 1, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #3,320 of 3,962
For what it’s worth, I bought a soft clear crystal TPU case from AliExpress and I actually find that it’s more difficult to push the buttons when using it. I normally use the DAP while at my desk, but on the occasion when I do have it in my pockets I’ve not had any issues. I’m not saying this is the answer to the problem but it’s something to consider.

IMG_2659.jpeg
Thanks! I think I’ll pick one of these up! Back when I owned an iBasso DX300 I had a very similar case and I liked everything about it in comparison to the one that was included with the player!

Dec 2, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #3,321 of 3,962

IMG_2659.jpeg
Using the same AliExpress case- no issues with accidental button presses either.

Dec 2, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #3,322 of 3,962
Using the same AliExpress case- no issues with accidental button presses either.
Confirmed, I have the same case, as well. But I rather use my Dignis or A&K leather case and with both I accidentally hit the buttons from time to time. Especially when connecting to USB-C for charging or changing IEMs.

Dec 2, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #3,324 of 3,962
Tap to wake and volume wheel can both be disabled in settings. Button lock is currently not available.
Respectfully, @JasonNYC, I had “tap to wake” off for a while, because of sensitivity issues, but I felt like waking the player by pressing on the volume button so often would lead to wear and tear on that beautiful dial/button! I find the SP3000 to be just large enough that every time I seem to reach for the player, I seem to touch something on the player that inadvertently wakes the player, or pauses/forwards a track, or changes the volume!

Dec 2, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #3,326 of 3,962
Just bought a SP3000. Had a little experience with it at CanJam SoCal this year and really loved the UI and spacious sound. Planning on it holding my CD library, streaming via Apple Music and then using as its DAC into my tube amps (Woo WA8 probably getting the most as the most portable).

For those using it to store their CD library (which I'm planning to do) would ripping to iTunes and then storing on a micro SD card be a good way to go (once I get beyond the unit's 256GB capacity?) This is the only way I've done it in the past.

Dec 2, 2023 at 8:41 PM Post #3,327 of 3,962
Just bought a SP3000. Had a little experience with it at CanJam SoCal this year and really loved the UI and spacious sound. Planning on it holding my CD library, streaming via Apple Music and then using as its DAC into my tube amps (Woo WA8 probably getting the most as the most portable).

For those using it to store their CD library (which I'm planning to do) would ripping to iTunes and then storing on a micro SD card be a good way to go (once I get beyond the unit's 256GB capacity?) This is the only way I've done it in the past.
I decided to get the Astell & Kern CD Ripper MK2. It connects easily to the SP3000 and seamlessly transfers your CDs to the DAP In either FLAC or WAV format. Beforehand I did consider using iTunes as I’m an Apple user, and I also thought about getting some ripping software or app to do the job. In the end though I bought the CD Ripper for its ease of use and I’m very happy with it.

Dec 2, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #3,328 of 3,962
I decided to get the Astell & Kern CD Ripper MK2. It connects easily to the SP3000 and seamlessly transfers your CDs to the DAP In either FLAC or WAV format. Beforehand I did consider using iTunes as I’m an Apple user, and I also thought about getting some ripping software or app to do the job. In the end though I bought the CD Ripper for its ease of use and I’m very happy with it.
Ah yeah, saw that years ago and forgot about it! Thanks for the reply. I'll look into that.

Dec 3, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #3,329 of 3,962
I use the MKII CD ripper, and it’s a solid well built CD ripper. It is a labor of love though, and if you use error correction it take a bit to rip. But the results are exceptional and the the system goes out and gets the TOC results flawlessly.

Dec 3, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #3,330 of 3,962
Hi, guys. I would like to ask about new firmware: does anyone hear difference in sound? Because I listen my AK second day on new firmware and I think it sounds brighter and sharper

Users who are viewing this thread

Back