Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Nov 29, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #3,301 of 3,991
I was a Tidal user for many years, switched to Qobuz. I never used the baked in Tidal version on the AK and always sideloaded the APK. I never paid attention to the sound quality limitations. I understand that the color is related to the quality of the music. I am not debating that this is important to you, and have no horse in the AK race, I am only seeing very dramatic reactions for features, not issues with the sound, such as hissing, clicks and pops etc. and all of the other things you have seen in the Cayin thread, as I see you there as well.

Let me add, there are things on my wish list too. Things I was aware of before I bought the unit.
Unfortunately, Qobuz doesn't work for me: some music that is important to me is missing, and the recs are simply not good. Tidal and Apple Music, on the other hand, work quite well. I was able to compare all three last week and in the meantime I haven't noticed any differences in sound quality, but I used to before the support for the hi-res.

So just to clarify, I don't have any "issues" with the SP3000. It's very solid and beautiful, and I also really like the minimalist UI. Despite Tidal, I'm very satisfied and I would buy it again every time.

Nov 29, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #3,302 of 3,991
I recently bought Kann Alpha, and I love it, just everything. I read the whole thread and never encountered that much hate on any thread. Crazy ideas about what A&K should change while I think everything is just perfect. The design of all A&K is unique and cool, but folks cry about it when they buy one, just like you said, even though they know everything upfront.

I really laughed a lot about what people actually wanted. And also, there is one fantastic thing I have read in the Alpha thread. Jason mentioned that A&K replaces old batteries with new ones, which is good to know. If that's true, I can have Alpha for good.

Cheers!

Nov 29, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #3,303 of 3,991
I recently bought Kann Alpha, and I love it, just everything. I read the whole thread and never encountered that much hate on any thread. Crazy ideas about what A&K should change while I think everything is just perfect. The design of all A&K is unique and cool, but folks cry about it when they buy one, just like you said, even though they know everything upfront.

I really laughed a lot about what people actually wanted. And also, there is one fantastic thing I have read in the Alpha thread. Jason mentioned that A&K replaces old batteries with new ones, which is good to know. If that's true, I can have Alpha for good.

Cheers!
I wouldn't call it hate but prefer to think of it as passion. The thread is dedicated to A&K's TOTL DAP and people are quite right to expect the best of the best. Whether that is justified or not (or possible) is another matter.

Nov 29, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #3,305 of 3,991
All that high-end/totl/goat audio gear makes us enthusiasts super emotional 😅

I’m in the „happy camp“ of SP3000 owners. I only wished for a little better performance in sideloaded apps, though. E.g. the new Apple Music feature of animated album art is a little choppy but still ok‘ish. I read somewhere improving sideloaded apps performance could be possible by a software update?

Several users mentioned the button issue which is a non-issue for me as I only use my SP3000 while working at my desk or sometimes in bed. But I think it is mandatory to give users the option to disable button actions for true mobile use.

Regarding the new keyboard feature, how do you enable this? I updated to 1.30 today in the morning before going on a business trip but wasn’t able to change the keyboard to qwertz. Can’t fiddle around with it currently but would like to try this out as soon as I’m back home.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2023 at 4:25 PM Post #3,306 of 3,991
OT
Just for correct information: it is true that initially there were customers who had hiss problems with their N30LE, however Cayin quickly intervened, recalibrating the bias and sending the units back to their owners.

For a week, I have an N3OLE AP edition, and I have no hardware/software problems. And the sound performance of this DAP is out of category, especially in tube mode
End OT
I can attest that . I have my N30 for almost 2 months . Have zero issues whatsoever

Nov 29, 2023 at 6:38 PM Post #3,307 of 3,991
Just to touch on negative customer support from an earlier post. I had a request and an issue in 2020 with my then SP2000 and reach out to Jason here and support at support@theinvixion.com.
on both occasions I was treated great and both issues that I reached out about were taken care of extremely quick and professionally. so, as far as my experience their support team is excellent.

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:42 AM Post #3,308 of 3,991
Several users mentioned the button issue which is a non-issue for me as I only use my SP3000 while working at my desk or sometimes in bed. But I think it is mandatory to give users the option to disable button actions for true mobile use.
Do you know of another DAP that has this side button lock option? I don't know anyone who has this

Nov 30, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #3,309 of 3,991
Do you know of another DAP that has this side button lock option? I don't know anyone who has this
That might be true . I don’t know any other dap that has such a sensitive buttons as SP3K . Heck my old SE200 doesn’t have this problem.

Dec 1, 2023 at 10:50 AM Post #3,310 of 3,991
That might be true . I don’t know any other dap that has such a sensitive buttons as SP3K . Heck my old SE200 doesn’t have this problem.
Yes, I had the SE200, as well and even with my home-only use I sometimes accidentally hit the buttons just when moving the DAP on my desk. It's very sensitive. I'm not sure anymore but I think my Hiby R8 had the option to disable the buttons.

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #3,311 of 3,991

Cheers!
cool story bro
a hold button is so outlandish

Dec 1, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #3,312 of 3,991
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #3,313 of 3,991
I think several players have this option. I am currently traveling so I can only check the player I have with me, the Shanling M9. You can decide for each button whether you want it to be available with the screen off.

IMG_0312.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2023 at 11:36 AM Post #3,315 of 3,991
I think several players have this option. I am currently traveling so I can only check the player I have with me, the Shanling M9. You can decide for each button whether you want it to be available with the screen off.

IMG_0312.jpeg
This is actually a great idea. I didnt realize there was a DAP out there that had an option like this.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back