Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Nov 17, 2023 at 8:04 PM Post #3,211 of 3,981
Hello Friends,

I just bought myself a SP3K. The unit was a pre-worshipped one, 3–4 months old, not much used, and the deal was so amazing that I could not resist. Unboxing it felt like I was opening a brand new unit.

This DAP is just like a jewel. It's a great feeling to hold this one in your hands. I got the CU version, and I love the shine and finish. I cannot imagine a DAP built so beautifully. It's heavy, but it's still manageable.

The first thing I notice while listening to these is the wide soundstage. It's very, very wide. I own a LPGT too. I can very well notice this change in stage. The resolution is also better on the SP3K. It has more air than the LPGT. The bass is a bit leaner on the SP3K. Overall, I feel it is an upgrade in terms of sound from my LPGT. From my memory, I think it sounds better than the WM1Z2.

While the sound is really great on the SP3K with no complaints at all, the OS on it still is not that great. A DAP with a perfect Android OS implementation is still a myth to me (change my mind). There is a lot of struggle with the way the device is handling my external SD card. I reformatted the card too, thinking the DAP would read it faster, but every time I boot it up, it takes quite some time for the files to be ready to play. That's a bit disturbing. Coming from LPGT, which does not have such overheads at all. The streaming on Tidal is really smooth, though. It does not heat up, even with longer usage. The dap has enough power. I don't feel it needs an external amp, at least for iems.

I have a NightJar Singularity with me for a demo. I think it goes brilliantly well with the SP3K. It adds a bit to the staging of the iem and adds some air to it, things I think lack a bit in Singularity. The pairing is quite enjoyable. SP3K + Singularity can be an endgame setup.

Overall, I am really happy with this acquisition. It's a brilliant DAP.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2023 at 8:29 PM Post #3,212 of 3,981
Hello Friends,

I just bought myself a SP3K. The unit was a pre-worshipped one, 3–4 months old, not much used, and the deal was so amazing that I could not resist. Unboxing it felt like I was opening a brand new unit.

This DAP is just like a jewel. It's a great feeling to hold this one in your hands. I got the CU version, and I love the shine and finish. I cannot imagine a DAP built so beautifully. It's heavy, but it's still manageable.

The first thing I notice while listening to these is the wide soundstage. It's very, very wide. I own a LPGT too. I can very well notice this change in stage. The resolution is also better on the SP3K. It has more air than the LPGT. The bass is a bit leaner on the SP3K. Overall, I feel it is an upgrade in terms of sound from my LPGT. From my memory, I think it sounds better than the WM1Z2.

While the sound is really great on the SP3K with no complaints at all, the OS on it still is not that great. A DAP with a perfect Android OS implementation is still a myth to me (change my mind). There is a lot of struggle with the way the device is handling my external SD card. I reformatted the card too, thinking the DAP would read it faster, but every time I boot it up, it takes quite some time for the files to be ready to play. That's a bit disturbing. Coming from LPGT, which does not have such overheads at all. The streaming on Tidal is really smooth, though. It does not heat up, even with longer usage. The dap has enough power. I don't feel it needs an external amp, at least for iems.

I have a NightJar Singularity with me for a demo. I think it goes brilliantly well with the SP3K. It adds a bit to the staging of the iem and adds some air to it, things I think lack a bit in Singularity. The pairing is quite enjoyable. SP3K + Singularity can be an endgame setup.

Overall, I am really happy with this acquisition. It's a brilliant DAP.
Interesting, I love SP3K UI. I only use streaming apps like Qobuz and Tidal. It can be reason why I never had any issues with it. Custom AK OS is of the reasons why I kept my SP3K after getting N30. For me AK seems more stable and fast vs full android daps.

Nov 17, 2023 at 8:53 PM Post #3,213 of 3,981
Interesting, I love SP3K UI. I only use streaming apps like Qobuz and Tidal. It can be reason why I never had any issues with it. Custom AK OS is of the reasons why I kept my SP3K after getting N30. For me AK seems more stable and fast vs full android daps.
With that limited UI, nothing should go wrong. Streaming is really smooth; I don't have any issues with that. It's just the external SD card that's bothering me. I mean, if it has been read one time, why does it still take so much time to read it the next time or subsequent times? Sometimes, it takes 10–12 minutes for the app to be fully operational, - showing(loading) all the files, albums, artists, etc. in the library.

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #3,214 of 3,981
Interesting - I had some back-and-forth with Musicteck and asked about both the SP3000 and the SE300 and how they would work with both the Empyrean & Utopia (sent the message before I posted here) - They did not recommend either of these DAPS for use with full-size headphones, and instead recommended the Cayin N30LE (😳) and the N8ii as they both have more output. Not sure why they would give me contradicting information as they do both Cayin and A&K….
That's quite ridiculous, sp3000 is great with the Utopias, they are pretty easy to drive. Of course they will recommend the Cayin, margins on that must be substantial.

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:00 AM Post #3,216 of 3,981
Interesting - I had some back-and-forth with Musicteck and asked about both the SP3000 and the SE300 and how they would work with both the Empyrean & Utopia (sent the message before I posted here) - They did not recommend either of these DAPS for use with full-size headphones, and instead recommended the Cayin N30LE (😳) and the N8ii as they both have more output. Not sure why they would give me contradicting information as they do both Cayin and A&K….
While I am curious to hear the N30, my advice would be to go to the thread and read. I am fine with my $3700 SP3000. For me to hear it I am going wait until there is a "trouble free" used one.

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #3,217 of 3,981
I have a 400 GB SANDISK card and never had an issue with the 3000 reading the card or waiting. Maybe it’s because your SD card is larger?

Nov 18, 2023 at 7:04 AM Post #3,218 of 3,981
With that limited UI, nothing should go wrong. Streaming is really smooth; I don't have any issues with that. It's just the external SD card that's bothering me. I mean, if it has been read one time, why does it still take so much time to read it the next time or subsequent times? Sometimes, it takes 10–12 minutes for the app to be fully operational, - showing(loading) all the files, albums, artists, etc. in the library.
That is very strange mine never does that. I have a 512 card in it. There must be a problem with the formatting or tagging.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:07 AM Post #3,219 of 3,981
I am using several 1tb sandisk extreme with huge pggb wav files. I did format them in the SP3K. It boots up and reads the sdcard in about 20-30 seconds. Much faster with smaller cards.

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:38 AM Post #3,220 of 3,981
I am using several 1tb sandisk extreme with huge pggb wav files. I did format them in the SP3K. It boots up and reads the sdcard in about 20-30 seconds. Much faster with smaller cards.
That is very strange mine never does that. I have a 512 card in it. There must be a problem with the formatting or tagging.
I have a 400 GB SANDISK card and never had an issue with the 3000 reading the card or waiting. Maybe it’s because your SD card is larger?
The card is only 256gb. I think it's mostly the issue with the card. Let me try to format it with the SP3K. Thanks

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #3,221 of 3,981
I’m using a SanDisk 1tb card which is full and I can instantly play music off it after the 20sec boot time approx. I don’t change files on the card very often, though.

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:46 AM Post #3,222 of 3,981
Hi there- Apologies for the basic question. I am upgrading my SP2K to the SP3K. How can transfer my playlists from my unit to another? I moved my internal and external (SD card) song but obviously the playlist are in the old unit. Thanks in advance.

Nov 18, 2023 at 9:16 PM Post #3,223 of 3,981
This one from Amazon and it is remarkably sturdy. No issues. Maxonar Adjustable Tablet Stand Holder, Sleek Looks Tablet Desktop Stand Dock Constructed from Aluminum - Compatible with iPad Air iPad Pro/ iPad Mini 2022 [4.7"-13"], Galaxy Tab S8, Grey https://a.co/d/eeMXTjH
I purchased this stand and works great for use with my sp3000 connect 4.4mm balanced and using it as a Dac. The SP3000 Dac is really impressive. Using it with my Fluxlabs FA12 and my newly acquired Arya Organices, great combo.

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #3,224 of 3,981
Anyone using this as their DAC and streamer? I heard the SP3000 at CanJam and loved it but was also thinking about getting a streamer, then thought I could get this instead and use it as my streamer (too much noise coming from my iPhone with my tube amp). Thanks for any input!

Nov 21, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #3,225 of 3,981
Anyone using this as their DAC and streamer? I heard the SP3000 at CanJam and loved it but was also thinking about getting a streamer, then thought I could get this instead and use it as my streamer (too much noise coming from my iPhone with my tube amp). Thanks for any input!
I would think majority use a streamer. One of major points of the device . If you use iPhone as source . It doesn’t matter how good your amp . Your source is compressed . Unless I’m missing something

Users who are viewing this thread

Back