Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Nov 21, 2023 at 11:48 AM Post #3,228 of 3,999
Meant to say use SP3K as streamer with apps such as Tidal and Qobuz
Ok, thanks! I use Apple Music currently and would probably want to keep using that since I can stream at high resolution (no compression as far as sample and bit rate goes coming out of my phone it seems, only noise issues sometimes).

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #3,229 of 3,999
Ok, thanks! I use Apple Music currently and would probably want to keep using that since I can stream at high resolution (no compression as far as sample and bit rate goes coming out of my phone it seems, only noise issues sometimes).
The question is if you are talking about Streamer in the sense of audio playback out of Sp3k PO or LO or as a digital source via USB into a desktop DAC?
Have tried both and can recommend Sp3k as a streamer with the only constraint obviously of WiFi as the bottleneck

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #3,230 of 3,999
I think Apple Music has hi res flac subscription so you should be good with it. I’m pretty sure iPhone builtin limitations will limit the bit rate and resolution of the sound. Maybe I’m wrong but phone never sounds good vs good player.

Nov 21, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #3,231 of 3,999
Sorry for the OT. I saw that you have the N30LE: how would you compare it with the SP3000? What do you like more and why?
Yes I have both. I use N30 most of the time. SP3K is very close and actually has few perks over N30. Particularly I love AK UI. It’s more stable vs full android. AK is absolute champion when it comes to black background. No noise whatsoever. Very detailed and holographic sound.
However, N30 gets ahead when it comes to sound. N30 is on par with details and stage but it’s more dynamic. It has this slam to the sound. Addictive experience.
Overall SP3k is top notch player. Hence why I didn’t sold it after getting N30.

Nov 21, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #3,232 of 3,999
Couple things I wish Astell Kern improve ;
battery life. I use player 45-60 min a day plus quite a bit of idle time . Plus I’m always streaming which puts extra load on the battery. AK had to be charged every 3 days or so. N30 is fine with getting charged 1s every 5-6 days.
touchy side buttons. I have hell of time taking SP3K on the walk. If I put on my jeans pocket. Those buttons leave their own life. Could be style of my jeans 😂

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #3,233 of 3,999
I would think majority use a streamer. One of major points of the device . If you use iPhone as source . It doesn’t matter how good your amp . Your source is compressed . Unless I’m missing something
I think as a source, it won’t be compressed If you use USB out. That may be the case with android devices.

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:06 PM Post #3,234 of 3,999
I think Apple Music has hi res flac subscription so you should be good with it. I’m pretty sure iPhone builtin limitations will limit the bit rate and resolution of the sound. Maybe I’m wrong but phone never sounds good vs good player.
As @Kiats said, I think that's only if I'd be using the iPhone as a DAC - if I use it to stream and send that signal to my DAC, then it's bit-perfect. That's confirmed by seeing lights like blue (192 kHz!) on my Qutest light up.

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:09 PM Post #3,235 of 3,999
Anyone using this as their DAC and streamer? I heard the SP3000 at CanJam and loved it but was also thinking about getting a streamer, then thought I could get this instead and use it as my streamer (too much noise coming from my iPhone with my tube amp). Thanks for any input!

I think it really depends on whether you have the budget and space for a streamer and DAC. And what is your choice of music apps.

Desktops DAC and streamer have the advantage that there is no constraints in form factor which DAPs run up against. I am using Eversolo DMP A-6 (the A8 is coming out soon but at a premium for better DAC, I2S and better power source) which can handle most of the streaming apps. I also have the iFi NEO Stream and iFi Zen Stream which are perhaps more limited in streaming options but have the advantage of being used as NAA for HQ Player with Roon. I also use the Shanling ET-3 which is good CD Player but also does DLNA, playback from attached HDD and BT streaming.

[Shanling ET3 and Eversolo DMP A-6 both have remotes avaialble]

As for DAC, you have your pick of DACs, with Delta Sigma or R2R, and the range of price as well.

Happy hunting.

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #3,236 of 3,999
That is not bit rate limitation but the iphone is not optimised for music. :)

Nov 21, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #3,237 of 3,999
Anyone using this as their DAC and streamer? I heard the SP3000 at CanJam and loved it but was also thinking about getting a streamer, then thought I could get this instead and use it as my streamer (too much noise coming from my iPhone with my tube amp). Thanks for any input!
I do, I have a lifetime Roon subscription and use the 3000 as the end point as I mentioned in an earlier post connected to my FA12 amp works great bit perfect. I think there are many owners that use it as a streamer. That’s the beauty of the 3000 world class Dac.

Nov 21, 2023 at 8:42 PM Post #3,238 of 3,999
I do, I have a lifetime Roon subscription and use the 3000 as the end point as I mentioned in an earlier post connected to my FA12 amp works great bit perfect. I think there are many owners that use it as a streamer. That’s the beauty of the 3000 world class Dac.
All very helpful, thanks guys! My hope was to use it to stream and use its DAC into my WA8 as kind of a portable setup. Probably would use with my other amps too.

Side note, I was hoping to like the se300 more, but I liked the sp3000 more every time I listened. More of a spacious sound.

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:01 PM Post #3,239 of 3,999
That is not bit rate limitation but the iphone is not optimised for music. :)
Thanks for clarification. I don’t know technicality behind it. I just know from experience that any good dap sounds better

Nov 21, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #3,240 of 3,999

Users who are viewing this thread

Back