Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:43 AM Post #3,257 of 3,990
I really need to stop getting excited over updates. No idea what A&K’s process is but really simple things requested by the community seem to be ignored.

For example, what is preventing A&K from reducing animation transition times? I have brought this up before- for a device with a modern chip (for a DAP) it is not a very smooth performer.

This is the very first thing I do when I am using an Android phone.

In addition, I noticed that none of the music apps have been updated- are we supposed to keep side loading these?

Rant over

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 1:55 AM Post #3,258 of 3,990
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #3,259 of 3,990
I really need to stop getting excited over updates. No idea what A&K’s process is but really simple things requested by the community seem to be ignored.

For example, what is preventing A&K from reducing animation transition times? I have brought this up before- for a device with a modern chip (for a DAP) it is not a very smooth performer.

In addition, I noticed that none of the music apps have been updated- are we supposed to keep side loading these?

Rant over
I think the SP3000 is already excellent for what its use should be: producing fantastic sound.
Of course there can always be improvements on secondary things.
My opinion

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #3,260 of 3,990
I only use this player with Roon. It works like a charm. As does the SP2K by the way. No issues with side loading apps etc. I am happy I don’t have to deal with the UI on this player… 😊 I use other DAPs for Tidal, Qobuz, UAPP.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:04 AM Post #3,261 of 3,990
I only use this player with Roon. It works like a charm. As does the SP2K by the way. No issues with side loading apps etc. I am happy I don’t have to deal with the UI on this player… 😊
I use other DAPs for Tidal, Qobuz, UAPP.
I use Qobuz on my SP3000 without problems , every day . UI is very good

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:11 AM Post #3,262 of 3,990
I use Qobuz on my SP3000 without problems , every day . UI is very good
I’m sure it works fine. In my personal experience I much prefer the UI of open Android DAPs. With the ease of updating apps etc. But anyway, I’m very happy with this player because my music library is in Roon. So the SP3K will get the most use most likely, while not using the UI at all.

How are you liking the N30 and how does it compare to the SP3K?

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:25 AM Post #3,263 of 3,990
How are you liking the N30 and how does it compare to the SP3K?
I've only been using the N30 for a few days, so it's still running in.
First impressions: in SS mode (the only one comparable with the SP3000) it is very similar: extraordinary, natural and super detailed sound.
Perhaps the real small advantage of the N30 is the greater power available, which allows you to increase dynamics.
But, I repeat, between the two, in terms of sound SS is a battle between absolute masterpieces 😎

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:38 AM Post #3,264 of 3,990

Rant over
It seems like the music apps have been updated (at least those that I have). Tidal is 2.92.9 and Roon ARC is 1.0.44. Spotify is not that latest but close enough at 8.8.80.599?

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:42 AM Post #3,265 of 3,990
I only use this player with Roon. It works like a charm. As does the SP2K by the way. No issues with side loading apps etc. I am happy I don’t have to deal with the UI on this player… 😊
I use other DAPs for Tidal, Qobuz, UAPP.
Roon works like a charm! Love it!

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #3,266 of 3,990
It seems like the music apps have been updated (at least those that I have). Tidal is 2.92.9 and Roon ARC is 1.0.44. Spotify is not that latest but close enough at 8.8.80.599?
Does Roon ARC work properly on this player when away from home? I haven’t had any success on my open Android DAPs.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:45 AM Post #3,267 of 3,990
I have not tried it after this update. I never worked well previously.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:48 AM Post #3,268 of 3,990
Does Roon ARC work properly on this player when away from home? I haven’t had any success on my open Android DAPs.
Yes. Sadly playback is limited to 44.1khz due to Android’s limitations. Can be circumvented by using in a usb DAC like a dongle.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:49 AM Post #3,269 of 3,990
I have not tried it after this update. I never worked well previously.
It has worked very well indeed for me on my phone’s hotspot.

Nov 28, 2023 at 2:50 AM Post #3,270 of 3,990
It has worked very well indeed for me on my phone’s hotspot.
So then use ARC on the phone but no use installing it on the SP3K?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back