Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jun 22, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #2,537 of 4,129
Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #2,538 of 4,129
It looks like the SP3000 only works as a DAC with a MAC or windows computer. I can use it as a DAC with my laptop, but not with my phone. When I connect it to my laptop, it gives me the option to use it as a usb DAC (swipe down). It does not show this option when I connect my phone via an iFi usb-c to lightning cable. That same cable works well with my phone and the iFi Gryphon and lets me use the Gryphon as a DAC. The phone sees it as na output option. When the SP3000 is connect with the same cable the phone does not give me this output option.IMG_6770.jpegIMG_6771.jpeg
Thank you for the confirmation! This is exactly my experience.

Jun 22, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #2,539 of 4,129
Reading the instruction manual might be an excellent idea!
Mhm. Well, thanks. That’s what I did before even trying for the first time.

Thank you! I already tried the smaller one (second link) - no avail. But I will still try the first one.

I know the manual only lists Mac and Windows but that makes not much sense as a DAC/AMP should also work with iDevices. Maybe it has something to do with reverse charging?

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:09 PM Post #2,540 of 4,129
Mhm. Well, thanks. That’s what I did before even trying for the first time.

Thank you! I already tried the smaller one (second link) - no avail. But I will still try the first one.

I know the manual only lists Mac and Windows but that makes not much sense as a DAC/AMP should also work with iDevices. Maybe it has something to do with reverse charging?
I don't have any issues with my USB-C iPad.

20230622_210731_HDR.jpg

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:18 PM Post #2,541 of 4,129
Is there any way to use the SP3000 as a DAC/AMP for iDevices iPhone or iPad?

I tried that already, no avail :frowning2:

But please try it out. Maybe you have the right equipment.

I'm still hoping for some kind of trick (cable, adapter etc.) that might work...

It looks like the SP3000 only works as a DAC with a MAC or windows computer. I can use it as a DAC with my laptop, but not with my phone. When I connect it to my laptop, it gives me the option to use it as a usb DAC (swipe down). It does not show this option when I connect my phone via an iFi usb-c to lightning cable. That same cable works well with my phone and the iFi Gryphon and lets me use the Gryphon as a DAC. The phone sees it as na output option. When the SP3000 is connect with the same cable the phone does not give me this output option.
Actually, it works! :relaxed:

iPhone + https://www.hidizs.net/products/hidizs-lt02-usb-c-to-lightning-cable + SP3000

For info: @CharlyBrown I bought the cable there with delivery to Berlin (and about 15€ customs I think, I don't remember exactly).

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #2,542 of 4,129
Actually, it works! :relaxed:

iPhone + https://www.hidizs.net/products/hidizs-lt02-usb-c-to-lightning-cable + SP3000

For info: @CharlyBrown I bought the cable there with delivery to Berlin (and about 15€ customs I think, I don't remember exactly).
This is really interesting. I have tried it with another cable that is for music usb-c to lightning ://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09Q2MQMQF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and it did not work either. My SP3000 did not give me the usb-DAC option and my phone did not see the SP3000

Jun 23, 2023 at 12:30 AM Post #2,543 of 4,129
Jun 23, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #2,544 of 4,129
I also had it 1x, then I put the cable back in and it worked. No idea why. Try again!
After your comment, I have been playing around with it and when plugging it in it worked twice out of plugging it in and unplugging it over 30 times. However, when I had the phone plugged into the SP3000 and booted up the SP3000 it worked 3 times out of 3. Would be nice if it was less fickle.

Jun 23, 2023 at 1:35 AM Post #2,545 of 4,129
After your comment, I have been playing around with it and when plugging it in it worked twice out of plugging it in and unplugging it over 30 times. However, when I had the phone plugged into the SP3000 and booted up the SP3000 it worked 3 times out of 3. Would be nice if it was less fickle.
I agree. It's a pity that, unfortunately, this is certainly just wishful thinking if you expect A&K to do something there …

Jun 23, 2023 at 4:55 AM Post #2,546 of 4,129
Anyone tried using Sp3k as a Streamer into an external DAC?
I wanted to do some A-B with my desktop gear but in the USB menu I am not able to change the setting from MTP to DAC...

Edit: connecting Sp3k to my IPad using the camera connection kit I have been using successfully with other DAPs isn't working either potentially because of that non changeable USB setting...

Attachments

• IMG_3616.jpeg
    IMG_3616.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #2,547 of 4,129
2nd question is about LO mode.
It's normal that I am regulating the volume on Sp3k of the LO signal and it's not fixed to full throttle?
Any reason to not crank it up to volume 150?

Edit: after using LO mode at volume 150 and now wanting to go back to IEM listening out of Sp3k I realize that switching off LO mode won't recover the previous volume setting, so the volume setting isn't safed for each mode seperately but stays the same.
So I need to dial down the volume from 150 back to 45 each time 🙄

Edit2: there‘s a line-out button appearing on the screen which needs to be pressed and then Sp3k is setting voltage according to the configured setting like 4V and then putting volume in FIX-mode. That‘S exactly what I expected, so everyone reading this, don‘t get puzzled why to set the volume manually but press this on-screen button.

Thinking further about it, it makes sense to offer this possibility not maxing out volume in line-out mode, namely to run an external amp in pre-mode like C9.
Thus the external amp is set to max volume while Sp3k is regulating the input strength.
N7 is also offering such a pre-mode.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 5:38 AM Post #2,548 of 4,129
Can you guys please check if your USB is working, respectively changing the setting from MTU?
Device is just freshly configured and rebooted and am wondering if there's a defect

Just done another reset and selected default English language - still no changeable USB MTU mode and thus no USB DAC functionality 🙄

Update:
- Spring 3 KTE: working (no change from MTU mode displayed but some "FIX" mode displayed in status bar, guess external DACs will operate in that MTU mode then for outputting digital data from Sp3k)
- IPad Air M1: not working
- IPhone 13 Pro: not working (displaying message that device needs too much power)
- Ifi Zen Stream: working (this time displaying DAC mode)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #2,549 of 4,129
Hi all, thank you for your feedback regarding SP3k as external DAC for iDevices.

I tried with my 2020 iPad Pro and it works out of the box usb-c to usb-c!

I also tried with different cables with my iPhone 14 Pro and it doesn't work with my equipment (Apple Camera connection kit, ddhifi Lightning to usb-c adapter, L&P Lightning to usb-c cable). Either nothing happens or the iPhone says "can't use external component as it uses too much power".

But for now the iPad option is good enough for me although it would have been great to also be able to use the iPhone as source.

I know it should work with devices other than Mac or Win computers...

Jun 23, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #2,550 of 4,129
Hi all, thank you for your feedback regarding SP3k as external DAC for iDevices.

I tried with my 2020 iPad Pro and it works out of the box usb-c to usb-c!

I also tried with different cables with my iPhone 14 Pro and it doesn't work with my equipment (Apple Camera connection kit, ddhifi Lightning to usb-c adapter, L&P Lightning to usb-c cable). Either nothing happens or the iPhone says "can't use external component as it uses too much power".

But for now the iPad option is good enough for me although it would have been great to also be able to use the iPhone as source.

I know it should work with devices other than Mac or Win computers...
Can you share which USB C to USB-C cable is working with your iPad as none of mine has worked so far

Users who are viewing this thread

Back