Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Nov 29, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #1,231 of 4,126
I have to say, I’ve had two open Android DAPs - HiBy R6 Pro and iBasso DX320. I had nothing but problems when I tried installing apps from APK Pure and Google play. Different combinations of apps would goof everything up and I had to reset the players, etc.

But the SP3000…I love the simplicity and how everything works perfectly like iOS. I like neutron too but I intend to stay inside AK’s walled garden.
I love Apple’s walled garden and thank goodness A&K offers the same.😉

Nov 29, 2022 at 7:57 PM Post #1,232 of 4,126
I understand your concern, but let me help you appreciate a dedicated version of Android for a DAP. I'm not trying to convince you, but just to give you another perspective. Then you can make up your own mind.

Android is an OS that runs a lot of processes in the background like all OS. However, OS dedicated to telephones are very consuming of background processes precisely for telephony needs. I give you some examples:
- waiting thread to receive a phone call
- permanent analysis of the cellular network to find terminals
- notification engine
- print spooler
- etc...

This consumes battery power which is bad for our DAPs. But even worse, some threads have priority which can disturb the playback of music with micro-cuts. So with an impact that SQ level.

To have an OS dedicated to audio listening is, in my opinion, capital to have an optimized listening. Both at the level of playback to avoid micro-cuts or distractions and for the optimization of the battery. The optimization of the music listening process, upscaling, encoding is in my opinion strategic to produce a good restitution of the SQ. What a generic OS will not support correctly. It is reached more easily with an OS dedicated to this type of processing to avoid disturbances.

This approach of a specialized and optimized OS is not new. If you take Apple for example, with the maturity of iOS it has ended up specializing it in various variations:
- an OS for smartphones: iOS
- an OS for tablets: iPad OS
- an OS for watches: Apple Watch
- An OS for TV: Apple TV
- And, an OS for Music : IPod :wink:

It's certainly the same foundations but not at all the same use. This specialization is not a marketing game. But a reality about usage and optimization dedicated to usage.

The specialization allows us to bring the optimizations we need.

AK applies exactly the same strategy as Apple. The best OS dedicated to music to match with the best hardware dedicated to music. And it must be said, the maturity that AK presents on the SP3000 finally and definitively concretizes this vision.

Voilà, I hope I was able to help you by sharing another vision. Where you are certainly right, is that AK should create a web page to explain the interest of a dedicated OS and what is its vision to couple the best music OS with the best hardware.
Wow, well said! 👍

Nov 30, 2022 at 3:40 AM Post #1,234 of 4,126
I understand your concern, but let me help you appreciate a dedicated version of Android for a DAP. I'm not trying to convince you, but just to give you another perspective. Then you can make up your own mind.

Android is an OS that runs a lot of processes in the background like all OS. However, OS dedicated to telephones are very consuming of background processes precisely for telephony needs. I give you some examples:
- waiting thread to receive a phone call
- permanent analysis of the cellular network to find terminals
- notification engine
- print spooler
- etc...

This consumes battery power which is bad for our DAPs. But even worse, some threads have priority which can disturb the playback of music with micro-cuts. So with an impact that SQ level.

To have an OS dedicated to audio listening is, in my opinion, capital to have an optimized listening. Both at the level of playback to avoid micro-cuts or distractions and for the optimization of the battery. The optimization of the music listening process, upscaling, encoding is in my opinion strategic to produce a good restitution of the SQ. What a generic OS will not support correctly. It is reached more easily with an OS dedicated to this type of processing to avoid disturbances.

This approach of a specialized and optimized OS is not new. If you take Apple for example, with the maturity of iOS it has ended up specializing it in various variations:
- an OS for smartphones: iOS
- an OS for tablets: iPad OS
- an OS for watches: Apple Watch
- An OS for TV: Apple TV
- And, an OS for Music : IPod :wink:

It's certainly the same foundations but not at all the same use. This specialization is not a marketing game. But a reality about usage and optimization dedicated to usage.

The specialization allows us to bring the optimizations we need.

AK applies exactly the same strategy as Apple. The best OS dedicated to music to match with the best hardware dedicated to music. And it must be said, the maturity that AK presents on the SP3000 finally and definitively concretizes this vision.

Voilà, I hope I was able to help you by sharing another vision. Where you are certainly right, is that AK should create a web page to explain the interest of a dedicated OS and what is its vision to couple the best music OS with the best hardware.

Totally not my point. I use EQ/PEQ and A&K always insist on providing a garbage one. I've tried SP2K etc Only something like Neutron could save them if they allowed it. I don't use streaming etc.

Lotoo and L&P are an example of a dedicated OS. LP6 and LPGT also have a great EQ. A&K just lose out to customers like me, maybe they will cave in at some point like they did with 4.4mm instead of 2.5mm.

Nov 30, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #1,235 of 4,126
Totally not my point. I use EQ/PEQ and A&K always insist on providing a garbage one. I've tried SP2K etc Only something like Neutron could save them if they allowed it. I don't use streaming etc.

Lotoo and L&P are an example of a dedicated OS. LP6 and LPGT also have a great EQ. A&K just lose out to customers like me, maybe they will cave in at some point like they did with 4.4mm instead of 2.5mm.

I don't know the application "Neutron Music player", but if you have the APK in my opinion you can install it by yourself.

If it doesn't work, then call AK support and ask them to add this application to the new SP3000 app store. There is no reason why they should not add it. Especially since there is an AK representative in the community from this forum. Make your request or start one petition. It will help you I think.

I will try your application :wink: out of curiosity.

Nov 30, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #1,236 of 4,126
So I got my SP3000 today...what a beauty :)

So quick question...I know the light on the wheel represent different bitrates...on my filo m17 there is a special color for MQA...as far as I can see, the SP3000 turns purple for DSD only? So when I listen to Tidal Masters...It's green most of the time...because it's 24 bit. How can I be certain, that it decodes MQA? :D
the Ak native app shows the MQA info.
I also thought of IOS when I look at the AK system. I’m really happy with the SP3000 and I still have a lot of exploring to do to see what everything on the Dap does and the best way to get music on there. I have Tidal but I’m thinking about more permanent music. I’m still toying with the idea of getting the AK CD Ripper Mk2 so that I can get my music collection onto an SD card within the Dap. Not sure yet though.
I own the AK player it’s an excellent transport for what it’s designed for, patience is also a requirement. But I enjoyed the process and the conversion are all done well.

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #1,238 of 4,126
Update doesn’t really seem to have improved speed of accessing folders.
Amazon Music still limited by Android and won’t play highest bit rate when available.

You could try the somewhat well known trick of playing a local 192 kHz track prior to starting Amazon Music. I don't have an SP3000 but it works on my SP1000M and SR15. It does make you question if streaming apps are actually bypassing SRC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back