Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 31, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #796 of 4,129
PXL_20221031_111545428.jpg

Oct 31, 2022 at 9:03 AM Post #799 of 4,129
Some more impressions, now that I've had my SP3000 for a little longer. For context, I'm coming from the SP2000 and have owned other AK DAPs before that.

- From a UI perspective, the biggest improvement is with third-party services. Both the fact that the third-party apps can be downloaded directly, and the fact that the apps are a lot more responsive. The album cover view is pretty, but let's be honest, who's going to use that for sorting through thousands of songs? Other aspects of the UI are also prettier than before, and I have no complaints (other than the lack of nested album tracks, which will soon be fixed) but it's not like I had any problems with the SP2000 UI. The screen is a noticeable improvement, in terms of brightness/contrast.

- I probably don't have the ears or vocabulary of a pro audio reviewer, as but per my earlier impressions, the improvement in sound definitely makes this a worthwhile upgrade from the SP2000. My SP3000 isn't fully burned in yet, to the extent that matters, though the improvement is nonetheless obvious. Soundstage, sharper definition to the notes, more power/weight to the sound, all while maintaining a tuning that's similar to what we've come to know & love from prior AK DAPs. Not sure I'm hearing more detail per se, or more blackness, but the separation is also a tad better. As happens in this hobby when there's a meaningful upgrade, I'm having the experience of re-listening to my favorite tracks and enjoying them in a new way. The sound is just more real, alive, clear and holographic.

- As for the hardware, it's obviously a good-looking device, though I'd like more consideration to be given to size/weight/cost. Since after all, this is intended to be a portable unit. Sure, the 904L steel is nice, but do I really need that on a device that I'm probably going to look to upgrade in 3 years? I could also do with having only one balanced output rather than two (don't care which one, I can get my cable re-terminated), and the color-changing light on the dial isn't essential since I'm typically not looking at my DAP while listening. I'm not a fan of the back design, as it's a fingerprint magnet without the protector, and with the protector, the design is practically invisible. The case is awesome, very soft to the touch, the color actually looks quite nice (even though it might seem like an odd choice in photos) and the case is one area where I think the incremental cost for the quality is worth it. But overall I personally would've have liked for AK to have shaved off a few grams of weight, and some cost, with some of the aforementioned tradeoffs. (granted, I don't know what the tradeoffs are - is 904L steel an extra $700 and 80 grams? or is it just an extra $200 and 20 grams, in which case, maybe it's worth it?).

Anyway, the sound is ultimately the main thing that matters, and the SP3000 is certainly exceptional in that regard.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #803 of 4,129
Just a different color and type of leather; the black case is made of veg-tan calfskin which feels more dense than the stock goatskin case. Both are nice just a matter of preference. (And no, it doesn't change the sound for any of those people out there)
C’mon don’t fool us - it should become less meaty

Nov 1, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #804 of 4,129
Many have already mentioned this, but just as a feedback - same issue with player each time after turning on rescanning sd card. I think it's some bugs and general unfinished state of software, because previous models do not have such issues at all. Funny thing that boot up time has been reduced compared to sp1k and sp2k, but with constant rescanning, overall it take more time in the end.

Battery time - I was excited when I saw 5000mAh, but actually it's pretty bad. My guess, again, is the bad software, which consumes much more power in the background than it should. Nowhere near advertised 10 hours of playback, more like 6 (although never tried to go from 100 to 0, just extrapolating time which takes to go from 80 to 60%). Which is more or less the same as with the previous model...the one that has only 3700mAh. Very dissapointed, hoped that they finally improved it.

Hopefully, these things will be fixed in the future updates.

Btw, does anybody know if it is fine to put two pair of earbuds (2.5 and 4.4) simultaneously?

Nov 1, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #805 of 4,129
Many have already mentioned this, but just as a feedback - same issue with player each time after turning on rescanning sd card. I think it's some bugs and general unfinished state of software, because previous models do not have such issues at all. Funny thing that boot up time has been reduced compared to sp1k and sp2k, but with constant rescanning, overall it take more time in the end.

Battery time - I was excited when I saw 5000mAh, but actually it's pretty bad. My guess, again, is the bad software, which consumes much more power in the background than it should. Nowhere near advertised 10 hours of playback, more like 6 (although never tried to go from 100 to 0, just extrapolating time which takes to go from 80 to 60%). Which is more or less the same as with the previous model...the one that has only 3700mAh. Very dissapointed, hoped that they finally improved it.

Hopefully, these things will be fixed in the future updates.

Btw, does anybody know if it is fine to put two pair of earbuds (2.5 and 4.4) simultaneously?
10 hours is like pure FLAC under certain condition, mixture of different bitrate will result in different playback length...

Nov 1, 2022 at 7:58 AM Post #807 of 4,129
So even with this version of Amazon I still note tracks limited on SP3000 to 24bit 48khz.
I was purely responding to you about sideloading apk's, not sound. I sideload to have the latest software, same I run on my cellphone.

Nov 1, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #808 of 4,129
How much burn in time needs this player?
The burn in needs to be done in every plug: 3,5mm, 2,5mm and 4,4mm separatedly?
@JasonNYC do you have an idea about this? 🤔

Nov 1, 2022 at 6:53 PM Post #809 of 4,129
I’ve just realized an issue with Roon. If the crosfeed option is enabled, it makes crackling noise on bassy songs. I tried with multiple tracks. It can be easily observed on Happier Than Ever track (MQA / 24bit qobuz the same ) )after 3:20. It’s the same with different crosfeed options as well. I tried different combination with DAR. The result is regardless from DAR, crossfeed cause crackling on Roon. I appriciate if somebody else check and share here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back