Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 19, 2022 at 4:56 PM Post #571 of 4,129
The DX320 edition X with AMP12 is really good. There’s some parts of that I prefer over SP3000 and vice versa. I still overall think N8ii is the best android dap out right now but I’m wanting something more pocket friendly which is why I’m exploring others. I need more time to see which I’ll stick with , the SP3000 wasn’t too impressive out of the box but I can hear that magic appearing with more use. The black background makes it very highly detailed in a way that isn’t commanding your attention. I’m a big fan of that. I prefer the 320x/12 dynamics though. We’ll see where it goes.

I want to know if AK plans to add the basic functionality of disabling the playback buttons when the screen is off, I’m a heavy pocket DAP user and that’s a huge issue for me at the moment. I have to be very careful when handling it or I’ll interfere with my playback.
Sorry bro, I wasn't clear, I meant the install of the screen protectors.

Obviously, I just opened it and took a sneak peek before charging. I kinda know what to expect from them, and out of the box I can hear the improvement over the SP2K. I also know that it will require a bit of time, but it will become my reference player. I have said here a couple of times, IMO, the N8ii is the bar to reach.

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #573 of 4,129
Alrighty, having been a huge fan of the the SP2K since it's inception, my anticipation of this release was really high. Today the device was delivered. I still have questions @JasonNYC about whether screen, back and top protectors were installed from the factory, to me it appears so.

Anyway, what a sexy build quality, the device exudes class. It is heavy, but I have held heavier. I have always liked the AK UI, but this UI is so smooth and so improved it makes me hate the old UI. Yes, I wish they would open up the Android OS and break down their walled garden. I am so accustomed to upgrading the stock open service apps that it doesn't bother me but in it's purest form it functions well and obviously as the company wants.

Too early to intelligently discuss sound quality, the unit has about 1 hour on it so far. My initial impressions out of the box are; this is probably the blackest background I have heard. This allows for details to be easily presented, in other words a very easy listen. I am not saying anything that hasn't already been said on this thread.

To be continued...

Oct 19, 2022 at 8:33 PM Post #574 of 4,129
Alrighty, having been a huge fan of the the SP2K since it's inception, my anticipation of this release was really high. Today the device was delivered. I still have questions @JasonNYC about whether screen, back and top protectors were installed from the factory, to me it appears so.

Anyway, what a sexy build quality, the device exudes class. It is heavy, but I have held heavier. I have always liked the AK UI, but this UI is so smooth and so improved it makes me hate the old UI. Yes, I wish they would open up the Android OS and break down their walled garden. I am so accustomed to upgrading the stock open service apps that it doesn't bother me but in it's purest form it functions well and obviously as the company wants.

Too early to intelligently discuss sound quality, the unit has about 1 hour on it so far. My initial impressions out of the box are; this is probably the blackest background I have heard. This allows for details to be easily presented, in other words a very easy listen. I am not saying anything that hasn't already been said on this thread.

To be continued...
One thing I can agree with is the inky black background.
I sent my rant to bloom, Andrew was very quick to respond. “ give it a chance to break in, hit me back in a few days before you pass judgment “

Oct 19, 2022 at 9:30 PM Post #575 of 4,129
To determine whether is the SP preinstalled you just have to either upload picture here or take a tape of stick-on top of your "preinstalled SP" and see does it lift up, if yes, then there is, if not then there isn't...

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:24 PM Post #576 of 4,129
PXL_20221019_212124834.PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #577 of 4,129
Great album. I thought there was a protector on the top (outputs). I chickened out before peeling it. There were a couple of the pull tabs from protectors stuck to the extra protectors in the box.

Oct 20, 2022 at 3:56 AM Post #579 of 4,129
Ok, I know i’m going to get a ton of dislikes..
I have a Fio m17. The m17 is transportable, not portable. Thus, I started looking for a new dap. started looking at Head-fi and there was significant buzz on the A&K SP3000. I had all but given up on A&K after my utter disappointment in the original Kann. Purchased the sp3000 and l'm really struggling with perception of sound. I'm listening with Focal Stellia, 64 Audio A12t, JH 13v2 and Sony Z1r via Tidal or local hi-rez files. I can here very subtle differences but other than the A&K being portable I'm not blown away by the sound and detail. am I missing something or am I just expecting too much ?
The M17 is a fine machine and Fiio do represent good value. AK can charge for a premium product and do. So the SP3000 is never going to be twice as good, though measuring that is difficult. I think DAPs are so good now we are talking incremental improvement not step changes.

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #580 of 4,129
You're welcome. Despite not having multiple gain settings, it can still power even demanding headphones such as the Dan Clark Expanse to very loud levels. However, headphone synergy is much harder to accomplish than using an endgame desktop amp. I would guess, dynamic drivers and even the ZMF Biocellulose dynamics should sound ample good out of the SP3K, and planars are a hit or miss with it
So weird, I plugged my expanse to the 4.4 output and for some reason I could not hear ANY sound coming out of it. Thought that there was something wrong with the cans or the cable but they actually work perfectly plugged into my desktop amp.... any advice mate?

Oct 20, 2022 at 6:18 AM Post #581 of 4,129
As a former M17 owner, I thought it was impressive in DC mode and rather underwhelming when run on battery.

Still, massive driving power doesn't equal a similar jump in sound quality. IMHO the SP3000 is head and shoulders above it straight out of the box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back