Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:21 PM Post #451 of 4,129
I use this 😉
(old school)

C938854E-9624-4113-ACE2-8CE5082D0212.jpeg

(And if anyone is interested...the stand of the Fiio M17 also fits quite well for SP3000 )

NOMAX

PS.lol

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:47 PM Post #452 of 4,129
I use this 😉
(old school)

(And if anyone is interested...the stand of the Fiio M17 also fits quite well for SP3000 )

NOMAX

PS.lol
PS.Lol indeed!
Imagine dragging that along outside!

I do recall that generic remotes used to work with legacy A&K DAPs- I wonder if that is still the case...

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2022 at 5:57 PM Post #453 of 4,129
For me, the Sp3000 only serves as a source for the HE1 or for listening with the Utopia/Nutopia

NOMAX

PS.@home 😉

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:05 PM Post #454 of 4,129
For me, the Sp3000 only serves as a source for the HE1 or for listening with the Utopia/Nutopia

NOMAX

PS.@home 😉
You mean digital source via USB or from line out? If you aren't making use of the DAC and amplifier which are the main selling points of SP3K, what do you need thr SP3K for? Only the Utopias?

Oct 16, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #455 of 4,129
You mean digital source via USB or from line out? If you aren't making use of the DAC and amplifier which are the main selling points of SP3K, what do you need thr SP3K for? Only the Utopias?

Yes via Usb for HE1 and only for the Focals in balanced 4.4mm

NOMAX

PS.lol

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #456 of 4,129

NOMAX

PS.@home 😉

I use my SP2000 for the same purpose but through toslink out. These TOTL AK DAPs perform like multi kilobuck streamers when used as streamer/source to desktop DACs

Oct 16, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #457 of 4,129
I understand the limitations of those who do not have the option to use Qobus. I do teach all my clients to buy music. Most of my clients stream music by Qobus and use a modified Lumin L1 music server.

The problem regarding Tidal is that it is no real Hi-Res. People will say; "I can read on my streamer that it is Hi-Res". It is not about what you can read, but it is all about what it does regarding the signal it sends.

The most significant difference between Qobus and Tidal is that Qobus has more dynamics, better layering, and more resolution. Due to the fact that it is True Hi-Res audio.

But.......it is still a compressed signal that is played from drives that are far away from you. When you play a song that you bought, the data is a lot larger compared to streaming the same song at the same bit rate. And again the difference is huge regarding better dynamics, more layering, and more resolution. It makes the music experience a lot more intense and emotional.

I bought many albums on Qobus even at 16-bit 44.1 kHz. I had done many CD-rips of which the quality was good. But albums which I bought on Qobus were a lot more open and dynamic. There are even clear differences when you buy an album of an artist at the same bit rate between HD Tracks and Qobus. Again the Qubus album has more dynamics, better layering, and more resolution.

When I have received both my SP3000 and the Odin, I will do a test between Qobus streaming and the same songs I have bought and put on my new SP3000.
I purchased a couple of albums on Qobuz which are being stored in the app. When I play them are they being streamed or are they downloaded in better SQ than streaming? Should they be downloaded in a different way for better SQ? Thanks!

Oct 16, 2022 at 8:59 PM Post #458 of 4,129
The look is as always superb, but I really wished they had more space between the side buttons. @JasonNYC , are the PEQ issues fixed? There was a bandwidth adjustment problem since SP1000 and unfortunately was not fixed with SP2000 (at least until 2021).
+1 very much interested in hearing from AK if EQ's finally responsive under SP3000.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:49 AM Post #459 of 4,129
I received my silver unit today and have a question.

I thought that it came preloaded with Qobuz? It doesn’t, however there’s a page where you can download and install it and several others. The strange thing is there’s a warning about installing Qobuz and probably all the others saying the source is unknown and one could damage the dap by installing it.
Surely I’ve missed something?

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #460 of 4,129
I purchased a couple of albums on Qobuz which are being stored in the app. When I play them are they being streamed or are they downloaded in better SQ than streaming? Should they be downloaded in a different way for better SQ? Thanks!
No. You choose the quality you want to stream or download / import and if they have the same bitrate they sound exactly the same. There's absolutely zero possiblity that they will sound different when they are downloaded vs streamed based on bitrate. There's already enough nonsense being spread as "to my ears" in this hobby, let's not let another one to the list.

The only possibility that streaming would sound worse is if the device has a bad design and you hear the WLAN interference noise. If you hear a multithousand dollar player that has this problem, just send it it back because it does not deserve its price.

To add one last thing, it is also extremely unlikely to hear any difference between a 44.1 kHz and higher bitrate files with such high end DACs, if they were not intentionally altered to sound different.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #461 of 4,129
No. You choose the quality you want to stream or download / import and if they have the same bitrate they sound exactly the same. There's absolutely zero possiblity that they will sound different when they are downloaded vs streamed based on bitrate. There's already enough nonsense being spread as "to my ears" in this hobby, let's not let another one to the list.

The only possibility that streaming would sound worse is if the device has a bad design and you hear the WLAN interference noise. If you hear a multithousand dollar player that has this problem, just send it it back because it does not deserve its price.

To add one last thing, it is also extremely unlikely to hear any difference between a 44.1 kHz and higher bitrate files with such high end DACs, if they were not intentionally altered to sound different.

Great information! Thanks!

Oct 17, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #462 of 4,129
4300 Euro Flagship Player....and you can NOT even listen to your music with Bathys via Usb Audio Out
(Because the volume cannot be changed .....not on the Bathys Ear Cup...and not on the SP3000 via Usb Output 👎)

25E2699D-CB81-486B-B427-A7BE4AC1171E.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.Strangely it works with the 1800 euro Fiio M17 😉
(On the Fiio you can control the volume on the Bathys or via the player 👍 )

FD53FAFB-73BE-4841-8BB1-8B90160670C3.jpeg

With the A&K neither goes🤣
We can only pray that Korea finally wakes up and improves that with firmware update
I don't know how you see it my friends...but we are in 2022
Am I too strict?

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2022 at 7:20 AM Post #463 of 4,129
4300 Euro Flagship Player....and you can NOT even listen to your music with Bathys via Usb Audio Out
(Because the volume cannot be changed .....not on the Bathys Ear Cup...and not on the SP3000 via Usb Output 👎)

25E2699D-CB81-486B-B427-A7BE4AC1171E.jpeg

NOMAX

PS.Strangely it works with the 1800 euro Fiio M17 😉
(On the Fiio you can control the volume on the Bathys or via the player 👍 )

FD53FAFB-73BE-4841-8BB1-8B90160670C3.jpeg

With the A&K neither goes🤣
We can only pray that Korea finally wakes up and improves that with firmware update
I don't know how you see it my friends...but we are in 2022
Am I too strict?

Huh 🤔, so you have wireless headphones but your using as a usb dac/amp (with a wire! 😅) to super expensive DAPs with hugely superior DAC/Amps than the budget ones in the headphone. Either way you would be better off just using your phone with the Bathys or just a normal wired headphone with your DAPs.

Better still flog your daps and take your Bathys and phone on a world cruise for a month or something 😅

Oct 17, 2022 at 7:25 AM Post #464 of 4,129
Does Bathys only have USB cables? That’s no good! Is it not possible to use normal cables with Bathys? I just ordered Solitaire T, hope I can use normal cables with those!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back