Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Sep 24, 2022 at 10:47 PM Post #31 of 3,979
This may be an early question to ask, but I wonder how long people are planning on burning in the SP3K for? I’m not familiar with AK so I don’t know if they are good straight out the box or whether they need to run for a good number of hours.

I have the SP2000 and my experience is that there's really no burn-in and more of a warm-up time for the oscillators to be optimally stable (usually 30 minutes or earlier of continuous playback in my experience). Your IEMs are sensitive enough to notice it where the sound will be a bit unnerving and then after warm-up, the sound will relax and all the microdetails and dynamics will flow effortlessly

Sep 25, 2022 at 1:50 AM Post #32 of 3,979
This is the first time I’ve ever pulled the trigger on something so costly without first doing hours and hours of research beforehand. Normally I read through threads here multiple times for user impressions, check reviews multiple times, and then ask fellow headfi’ers numerous questions. Even then I’m still uncertain. With the SP3000 though, I seemed to just have had a confidence in the product that I made my mind up quickly and pre-ordered it within a couple of days of it being announced. For me that’s both scary and exciting. I’m trying not to count down the days until it’s delivered.
YNWA🤝

Sep 25, 2022 at 8:29 AM Post #33 of 3,979
The middle of October can't get here soon enough. I am truly excited about the release. I had a SP2K much longer than any other DAP. From the premium feel to its sexy looks. I was comfortable with the old UI but most certainly look forward to the upgrade. The sq, to my ears, was in another league, it was my reference for so many of my reviews. Overall, it came down to the entire package.

Based on my AK experience, and this will be my 7th A&K player, there will be an adjustment period for AK newbies. Whether that is an actual burn-in or warm up, it can take a while to get the groove. The smooth, yet revealing sound. For example, folks coming from a Cayin N8ii(fantastic DAP) will possibly notice less driving authority. However, based on my full-sized HP's I had no problem driving them from the SP2K, but there was less authority than with the N8ii.

Me on unboxing day....

tenor.gif

Sep 25, 2022 at 10:07 AM Post #34 of 3,979
The middle of October can't get here soon enough. I am truly excited about the release. I had a SP2K much longer than any other DAP. From the premium feel to its sexy looks. I was comfortable with the old UI but most certainly look forward to the upgrade. The sq, to my ears, was in another league, it was my reference for so many of my reviews. Overall, it came down to the entire package.

Based on my AK experience, and this will be my 7th A&K player, there will be an adjustment period for AK newbies. Whether that is an actual burn-in or warm up, it can take a while to get the groove. The smooth, yet revealing sound. For example, folks coming from a Cayin N8ii(fantastic DAP) will possibly notice less driving authority. However, based on my full-sized HP's I had no problem driving them from the SP2K, but there was less authority than with the N8ii.

Me on unboxing day....

tenor.gif
Bro, just curious how is it compared to the Hiby RS8, their upcoming TOTL DAP, some actually preferred it to SP3K during Canjam Socal

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:30 PM Post #35 of 3,979
Bro, just curious how is it compared to the Hiby RS8, their upcoming TOTL DAP, some actually preferred it to SP3K during Canjam Socal
@korvin12 I am really sorry, I can't answer that as I have never heard the RS8. All I can do is post impressions of the SP3K once I receive it.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:43 PM Post #36 of 3,979
I thought this was an interesting thing to read, and it is something that I’ve been thinking about. I don’t have much experience with AK, but when I have had a quick listen in the past I have noticed that it is a different type of sound to what I’m used to with the Cayin and Hiby Daps that I’ve heard. Smooth yet revealing may be a good way to describe it. The most recent AK I heard was the Kann Max. I noticed with this that you had to be a little patient and let the sound gently wash over you. I’m wondering if it will be a similar thing for the SP3000.

Sep 25, 2022 at 7:53 PM Post #37 of 3,979
I thought this was an interesting thing to read, and it is something that I’ve been thinking about. I don’t have much experience with AK, but when I have had a quick listen in the past I have noticed that it is a different type of sound to what I’m used to with the Cayin and Hiby Daps that I’ve heard. Smooth yet revealing may be a good way to describe it. The most recent AK I heard was the Kann Max. I noticed with this that you had to be a little patient and let the sound gently wash over you. I’m wondering if it will be a similar thing for the SP3000.
I obviously haven't heard this model yet. I would bet it will be the same type of experience. I have the Kann Max presently, and I am selling it to help fund the SP3K and an IEM I have my sites set on. I enjoy the Max, but it certainly is a player that benefits from sitting and listening, not the immediate wow factor. It also excels with the right pairing. The Custom Art F7U is a great pairing. It also pairs well with my Kennerton full size, GH50 MK2 ++. My guess will be the SP3K will wow you with its signature during longer listening sessions.

Sep 26, 2022 at 11:07 AM Post #42 of 3,979
Not really, for now ARC not work so good..
Works really, really well for me. Roon knocked it out of the park with this one.

Sep 26, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #44 of 3,979
As a beta tester I have been using it since early summer. It has replaced Plexamp for me. It will be a game changer if AK approves it. It has been great that AK has embraced roon.

Sep 26, 2022 at 6:52 PM Post #45 of 3,979
Love to hear more from anyone who was in SoCal and did a head to head comparison with SP3000 and Hiby RS8

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back