Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Oct 28, 2023 at 12:27 AM Post #3,107 of 3,990
@JasonNYC

@MichRT writes that you can't get the best possible sound quality with sideloaded apps, the reason being Android's system. Only Tidal's stock should be able to bypass the system's limitations. In other words: If any app (Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz) is sideloaded, the sound quality is always "poor" / not the best.

Can you say something about this? Is this really true? So it is not possible to have Apple Music with the best possible quality?

That’s my understanding yeah. So far testing Foobar, YouTube Music, and Apple Music all result in being piped through the default Android audio stack. This is expected, but stinks
Stock android resamples everything to 24bit 48khz, regardless of source. Tidal will show the source bitrate on most devices but not the output bitrate. You can test this by hooking up a USB DAC to your Android device and checking the bitrate it’s receiving (if it has that feature).

A&K uses (used to rather because it’s dead) a home built Tidal app that bypasses the Android audio sink. The sideloaded Tidal app does not do this. iBasso and Cayin might have their own implementation but I am unfamiliar - as for A&K, it’s stock Android audio stack outside of the stock local file player and the built in (again, now useless) Tidal app

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:43 AM Post #3,108 of 3,990
Oct 28, 2023 at 6:14 AM Post #3,109 of 3,990
@JasonNYC

@MichRT writes that you can't get the best possible sound quality with sideloaded apps, the reason being Android's system. Only Tidal's stock should be able to bypass the system's limitations. In other words: If any app (Apple Music, Tidal, Qobuz) is sideloaded, the sound quality is always "poor" / not the best.

Can you say something about this? Is this really true? So it is not possible to have Apple Music with the best possible quality?
Would like to know this too.

Oct 28, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #3,110 of 3,990
@JasonNYC

The Qobuz sideloaded app appears to bypass the Android mixer according to the LED. I am skeptical about the Tidal app.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #3,112 of 3,990
As someone explained in Watercooler, it's not just about the bits, but also about the KHz. The question is whether 192 KHz will be achieved or whether it will remain at 48 KHz.
there is no limit in A&K DAPs, using streaming apps like Qobuz, Tidal etc.
Everything is bypassed and therefore everything is reproduced at the highest quality offered by the app you are using

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #3,113 of 3,990
Everything is bypassed and therefore everything is reproduced at the highest quality offered by the app you are using
Yes, that's what I thought too. But it would be great if the answer came directly from @JasonNYC.

By the way, Tidal does not work at 24bit, but only at 16 bit although 24bit are displayed in the app.

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #3,114 of 3,990

They say that but then Amazon Music reports bitrates that seem to say otherwise. Although you can sometimes trick Amazon...

Oct 28, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #3,115 of 3,990
They say that but then Amazon Music reports bitrates that seem to say otherwise. Although you can sometimes trick Amazon...
@JasonNYC has already explained on other occasions that in A&K DAPs, the Android limit is completely bypassed.
However, he himself will be able to confirm this again.
I use Qobuz and everything sounds at the top of the sound quality

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:01 PM Post #3,117 of 3,990
I installed the latest Tidal apk - 2.93.0. You can now click on the max button and it shows what is being played. I played a Chicago track which displayed 192k 24b. The LED was red. I then did the same in Qobuz - the LED was green. I then hooked my Mojo 2 to the usb port. I went back to the Tidal app and played the same Chicago tune. The Mojo 2 displayed the light for 192k 24b. I did the same for Qobuz and it displayed correctly. It seems the Tidal Android app does NOT bypass the mixer for the internal dap. I tried the built in Tidal app and only got MQA for hirez tracks which the LED displayed correctly. @JasonNYC ... can you comment on this?

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #3,118 of 3,990
I installed the latest Tidal apk - 2.93.0. You can now click on the max button and it shows what is being played. I played a Chicago track which displayed 192k 24b. The LED was red. I then did the same in Qobuz - the LED was green. I then hooked my Mojo 2 to the usb port. I went back to the Tidal app and played the same Chicago tune. The Mojo 2 displayed the light for 192k 24b. I did the same for Qobuz and it displayed correctly. It seems the Tidal Android app does NOT bypass the mixer for the internal dap. I tried the built in Tidal app and only got MQA for hirez tracks which the LED displayed correctly. @JasonNYC ... can you comment on this?
Do I understand it correctly that Qobuz is bit perfect, i.e. bypass the mixer for the internal dap? Can you also test/confirm this with Apple Music?

Oct 28, 2023 at 5:55 PM Post #3,119 of 3,990
Do I understand it correctly that Qobuz is bit perfect, i.e. bypass the mixer for the internal dap? Can you also test/confirm this with Apple Music?
Yes Qobuz and Apple are bit perfect. I have read that the Tidal app is in development and only bit perfect for IOS and desktop apps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back