Astell&Kern A&ultima SP3000
Jul 22, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #2,717 of 4,129
Update 1: 22-July-2023
I posted this in the watercooler thread, but as I will be reviewing the SP3000 against my other daps, it is more relevant to post it here:

Today I received the loaner sample for SP3000ss; thank you AK, for your trust. I feel so privileged for such trust. I will be putting the SP3000 against N8ii, RS8, LP6G and P6p, and at the end, I'll keep the winner and leave this hobby for a long while.
I'm not anyone important, nor do I think what I've to offer can be a substitute for one's own ear. But somehow, for the last 18 years in this hobby, I managed to come across passionate brands and individuals who see the crazy in me and somehow get it. Thank you, AK once more, for your trust.

So yes, I don't have any bias towards SP3000 (or any other daps); as I said else where I hate them all equally for costing so much, but I'm so thankful for this feeling as deep inside I know how much musical joy those daps have brought to me over the years.
AK120 was the first over 1K dap I bought; I still have and use it. I just didn't want to leave this hobby without listening to AK offerings.

Let the games begin!
Update 2:23-July-2023
In my position, I have two IEMs that I hold dearly, yet I don't use them often: FW10000 and SP3. They are both very picky IEMs. If the source material is poorly recorded and more importantly if the DAP itself has a particular bias towards a tunning, they both somehow find a way to amplify that aspect of the DAPA/AMP and as a result, I'm very limited to using them on regular basis.

Until now, I found no source to make me contemptuous of those two IEMs fully, specially FW10000. SP3000 has proven to bring the best I've heard from them so far. Speaking from memory, HUGO 2 might be a better source for both of those IEMs. However, H2 is no DAP.

SP3000 can masterfully allow FW10000 to show its ability to produce vocals naturally and effortlessly expand both vertically and horizontally when the recording needs it to do so.

SP3000 is currently the only DAP I've listened to that managed to have a perfect soundstage presentation. It does not portray both vertical and horizontal expansion and does not favour one over the other. Once again, Hugo 2 comes to my mind.

20230723_202931.jpg

@JasonNYC The small annoyance I have experienced with SP3K is I'm not sure how I can easily play through a folder or album, without needing to clear my playlist from before. I notice that each time I browse inside a new album and click on the track, it will play that track, followed by what was previously added to the playlist.
Am I doing something wrong? Do you know if we are required to clear the previous playlist each time?

Update 3: 27-July-2023 The only way to know is at your leisure.
Truth be told, I did try SP3000 every time I went to the store, which carried Sp3000, and I did try it, but for some reason, its sound did not capture my attention as much, let's say RS8. I bought N8ii blindly and RS8 after the extended edition alongside SP3000 and WM1ZM2. SP3K got my attention only after my favourite reviewer and friend Nori San from Sandalaudio considered it his current favourite and the DAP what he would buy for himself if he had the funds.
I see Dr Nori as often as time allows both of us, and he had my N8ii for an extended period which he reviewed on his blog. He also did extensive RS8 listening; his main daily DAP is RS6. After all that, he considered SP3000 the sound he picked for himself. That was enough for me to look into SP3000 in a more serious fashion.

SP3000 did not capture my attention as much as other DAPs as it tries its best to stay out of the way of the music by doing all the right things in the most subtle way. It is detailed from low to high, not boring, thanks to a slightly warm tonality. It is the least fatiguing source there is, thanks to its high dynamic range, which allows IEM users to listen at low volumes as there is no need to turn the volume to draw the DAP noise floor.
SP3000, N8ii and RS8 are like three bright students in a gifted class; the other two know they are talented, are not shy about it, and will get their teacher's attention. However, SP3000 is the smartest among them, but he is the quiet kid who only shines once the teachers put him under the spotlight.

I had forgotten the impact of the noise floors in the DAP world due to how closely all DAPs perform in that field. Only when I listened to SP3000 extensively did I once again realise the importance of low-noise floor for IEM listening. The last time I was this impressed was when I first listened to LP6 Gold for the first time. Funny enough, I now consider LP6 bright compared to SP3000.

On another positive note, SP3000 does not react to burn-in, and I can't tell of any change. It also does not need to be left on for a while to achieve the best sound.

Last edited:
Jul 22, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #2,718 of 4,129
The SP3000 is incredible (coming from an SP1000m) with my 64 audio Custom 18t's. But it is a heavy piece of gear. Anyone have suggestions for something that would make it easy to have along on speed walks and runs?

Jul 22, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #2,719 of 4,129
The SP3000 is incredible (coming from an SP1000m) with my 64 audio Custom 18t's. But it is a heavy piece of gear. Anyone have suggestions for something that would make it easy to have along on speed walks and runs?
Dignis "Borsa" Dap Pouch. I have the medium snug fit. Not sure where you will pick one up I had to purchase direct from Dignis in Korea.

Jul 28, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #2,724 of 4,129
Last edited:
Jul 31, 2023 at 12:57 AM Post #2,726 of 4,129
Hi all, I noticed that when using Amazon music on the SP3000, I was able to play Dolby Atmos files and Spatial Audio files, but when I use the side loaded version of Tidal, no luck. Is there a way around this? The whole thing sounds gimmicky to me anyway, but just wanted to try. Anyone else have any thoughts? Thanks all.

Jul 31, 2023 at 4:27 PM Post #2,727 of 4,129
Hi all, I noticed that when using Amazon music on the SP3000, I was able to play Dolby Atmos files and Spatial Audio files, but when I use the side loaded version of Tidal, no luck. Is there a way around this? The whole thing sounds gimmicky to me anyway, but just wanted to try. Anyone else have any thoughts? Thanks all.
Amazon music is converting the files to a format that the SP3000 can use. Tidal will not convert them, so unfortunately you cannot play those files on the SP3000 as it does not support Dolby Atmos or Spatial Audio.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jul 31, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #2,728 of 4,129
Am wondering if any DAP on the market does besides only converting to Redbook Stereo?
So far I've seen only mobile phones doing such decoding natively such as Apple devices playing Atmos but transferring to Airpods through lossy Bluetooth Codec

Jul 31, 2023 at 6:40 PM Post #2,729 of 4,129
Hello,

I do need a advice, i have bought astell&kern sp3000 from second hand, i don't have a warranty. Issue i am facing is touch screen: it does work ok for some time but if any oil from fingers smudges stays on a screen it stops responding, if i clean it with the cloth it works (i need to do every minute ir so), it looks like touch screen is super sensitive, not sure if it just random freezing . How can it be fixed if it is possible and how much would it cost. Maybe someone has old firmware file and i could try to roll back from 1.20, seems like issues has started after updating to 1.17 an up? I can't find dex file online

Users who are viewing this thread

Back