Astell&Kern A&Ultima SP2000T Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #31 of 748
This unit is using the mobile ESS chips that they implemented in their SE200, except here it is a quad setup..
So I would expect it to sound somewhat similar, but more optimal over the SE200.
From listening to the SE200, I would expect it to be bright and spacious sounding, as in the SE200 that chip was a bit more bright, recessed and laid back over the akm chip side in that Dap (dual dac).
Yet this Dap has new amps which should offset any dac chip brightness.

I would expect the best implementation of mobile chips so far, but don't have much confidence in power output. Most of the competition is having more powerful outputs, so hopefully this A&K unit will also show more power.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:00 AM Post #32 of 748
I wonder if this will be superior to the SP1000 (which I own and love), just different, or inferior.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #33 of 748
I wonder if this will be superior to the SP1000 (which I own and love), just different, or inferior.
If Amplifications is the most important in the chain, then adopting SP2K amplifier will make it a superior choice to SP1K

The name SP2K-T also insists that it is higher in number and hence sitting in a higher tier

The DAC, regardless of what people is saying, Portable devices should be optimizing portable DAC instead of using Desktop DAC. The negatives is the limitations of capped out to 384 and DSd256.

But IMO, this should be superior to everything else AK has, and is side grade to SP2K, which indicates that a newer flagship is to be announced soon

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #34 of 748
If Amplifications is the most important in the chain, then adopting SP2K amplifier will make it a superior choice to SP1K

The name SP2K-T also insists that it is higher in number and hence sitting in a higher tier

The DAC, regardless of what people is saying, Portable devices should be optimizing portable DAC instead of using Desktop DAC. The negatives is the limitations of capped out to 384 and DSd256.

But IMO, this should be superior to everything else AK has, and is side grade to SP2K, which indicates that a newer flagship is to be announced soon
Thank you for your thoughts. That makes sense to me.

Aug 10, 2021 at 5:57 PM Post #36 of 748
I’ve never had a good sound experience with ESS chips and hopefully AK will eventually move back to AKM after they get their troubles sorted out.

Timeline for a future model with an AKM dac chip looking like 2023.

Although AKM won't be ready making chips until next year( stated March2022), and since they also discontinued thier latest dac chip,
I am thinking the positive side is that this will lead to them having a clean slate, to developing an even better chip, without directly using previous chip archetechiture...

As for ESS, I believe thier chips are becoming better and less stereotypical of past signatures.

Aug 10, 2021 at 6:53 PM Post #37 of 748
Timeline for a future model with an AKM dac chip looking like 2023.

Although AKM won't be ready making chips until next year( stated March2022), and since they also discontinued thier latest dac chip,
I am thinking the positive side is that this will lead to them having a clean slate, to developing an even better chip, without directly using previous chip archetechiture...

As for ESS, I believe thier chips are becoming better and less stereotypical of past signatures.
I always wanted to joke Head-fi was going to explode when AKM finally ticked over and released the AK5000. Imagine the anticipation if it comes after several years - and what years!
I agree with you regarding ESS chips though, it’s not like we’re getting screwed in the meantime.

Aug 10, 2021 at 8:47 PM Post #38 of 748
Aug 10, 2021 at 8:50 PM Post #40 of 748
Those in HK heard 2000T in the show said it sounds bad. Nothing related to 2000

I believe @JasonNYC mentioned in the other thread that the unit on demo in Hong Kong had an early version of the firmware which was not optimal.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2021 at 12:46 AM Post #43 of 748
How do you roll a Korg Nutube? Nothing else like it, I believe.

Yes, I posted that before I found out it was Nutube. Oh well...

Aug 11, 2021 at 5:27 AM Post #44 of 748
I believe @JasonNYC mentioned in the other thread that the unit on demo in Hong Kong had an early version of the firmware which was not optimal.
here we go again with the bomb of expectations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back