Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Apr 30, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #811 of 1,165
I would not be surprised if eventually they release module which does beat se200 once se200 is old enough.

On another note. Does anyone have r8 or dx300 to compare se200 size against the two?
I’m coming from the R8 to the SE200. The A&K is smaller and lighter. But from a hardware perspective the greatest improvement for me was that the SE200 only gets a little warm, not really noticeable when in a case. The R8, even with case, was uncomfortable for me. Plus battery charging is 20x faster with the SE200.

Other than that, the R8 is of course snappier and doesn’t need the quirky way of installing apps through sideloading. But once done this ist not really a problem as you normally don’t need to update them frequently.

I am using the DDHifi 4.4mm adapter and yes, it definitely lowers the force on the ports. But yes, it makes the DAP a little larger. But for me a DAP of that size wouldn’t be useable in my trouser pocket anyway.

Speaking of ports, another advantage for me with the SE200 is that the ports are on top, making it much better useable for me as the IEM/HP cable never gets in my way and when using it in bed or on the couch I can rest it on my belly :)

Apr 30, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #812 of 1,165
I’m coming from the R8 to the SE200. The A&K is smaller and lighter. But from a hardware perspective the greatest improvement for me was that the SE200 only gets a little warm, not really noticeable when in a case. The R8, even with case, was uncomfortable for me. Plus battery charging is 20x faster with the SE200.

Other than that, the R8 is of course snappier and doesn’t need the quirky way of installing apps through sideloading. But once done this ist not really a problem as you normally don’t need to update them frequently.

I am using the DDHifi 4.4mm adapter and yes, it definitely lowers the force on the ports. But yes, it makes the DAP a little larger. But for me a DAP of that size wouldn’t be useable in my trouser pocket anyway.

Speaking of ports, another advantage for me with the SE200 is that the ports are on top, making it much better useable for me as the IEM/HP cable never gets in my way and when using it in bed or on the couch I can rest it on my belly :)

How does the SE200 and R8 sound comparatively? I have the R8 right now.

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #813 of 1,165
How does the SE200 and R8 sound comparatively? I have the R8 right now.

I am not the right guy to answer this question, unfortunately. For me these devices exist to transform the binary file into analog sound and then amplify the outcome. Both do this excellent with plenty power. There might be differences in tuning but I guess you need to A/B them side by side or, much better, with switch-gear and perfectly matched volume (if possible…). I had a gap of a week or so between the two. But I bet there are just minimal tonal nuances between them, if any at all.

It is apparent that both DAPs are capable to drive also most Full-Size HPs. Only some demanding planars etc. need more power. I had no problem with both to drive e.g. the HD800s or Hifiman Arya.

I tried both with the Andromedas, advantage SE200: No hissing. I had hissing with the R8.

Apr 30, 2021 at 1:54 PM Post #814 of 1,165

Yeh R8 is bulky and it does get hot but doesn't really bother me at least in the cold months.
At the moment when i can chuck it in a jackets pocket, its not that bad after coming from dx300. But i can see it being issue during summer with light clothing.
Sizing down thiugh is always a benefit and i would have gone for se200 if my cables were not 4.4mm.

Soundwise. I liked dx300s more forward mid tuning over R8. But R8 for me as a whole technically superior to dx300 with better extension both ways.
Is AKM size more similar to R8? Sort of neutral with a bit of warmth?
Another thing i noticed that sabre side is quite a bit less powerful. Which ussually means a bit less dynamics for my LX as they are silly power hungry for iems. Does it feel like it?

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #815 of 1,165
Yeh R8 is bulky and it does get hot but doesn't really bother me at least in the cold months.
At the moment when i can chuck it in a jackets pocket, its not that bad after coming from dx300. But i can see it being issue during summer with light clothing.
Sizing down thiugh is always a benefit and i would have gone for se200 if my cables were not 4.4mm.

Soundwise. I liked dx300s more forward mid tuning over R8. But R8 for me as a whole technically superior to dx300 with better extension both ways.
Is AKM size more similar to R8? Sort of neutral with a bit of warmth?
Another thing i noticed that sabre side is quite a bit less powerful. Which ussually means a bit less dynamics for my LX as they are silly power hungry for iems. Does it feel like it?
I only use the LX with the AKM side of the SE200. It completely changed that iem for me coming from the Kann Cube. Sounds a lot more versatile and technical whereas it sounded a bit overly warm and lumbering on the Cube. It doesn’t sound bad out of the ESS side, just not as good as the AKM side for my preferences.

Apr 30, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #816 of 1,165
Honestly, overall the R8 is probably the better DAP imho. The better software support alone is pure gold. You can be sure that all streaming apps just work with the latest version available and the device will work for many years, as long as the hardware doesn’t get a failure. Plus the R8 gives this perfect UI feeling where everything just flows like water. The SE200 is ok but sometimes feels like a smartphone from 2010 speed-wise. No issues during playback, though.

Still, for me there are some pros for the SE200:

• Smaller, lighter, cooler
  • No distraction by other Android functions (no problem if you are not as easily distracted as me :) )
  • No hissing
  • Headphone ports are on top (personal preference)
  • Very fast charging, long battery duration
  • High power, high quality sound, high quality ports, satisfying feel/sound when plugging in IEM (definitely counts for both, SE200 & R8, the later even more powerful)

Didn’t / don’t like - the volume knob is too laggy for my liking. PLEASE DAP manufacturers, add a slider that let me configure the speed of changing. That would solve this issue.

Apr 30, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #817 of 1,165
Thanks both for impressions.

R8 software is indeed almost flawless. Though i think it has a moderate hardware QC issue. So not sure about working longer.
My unit is acceptable. One thing can really annoy is sensitivity to RFI. I also had some persistent reboot problem but it went away almost completely and does not bother me anymore.

Volume knob is really not the pride of dap. It sometimes takes few tries to make it react.
And ports at the base dont help for sure. As i need to reach down into pocket.

se200 wins hands down on portability. Except for potentially many broken cables due to 2.5mm jack in the pocket. Cant forget my experience with that.

Feature wise. I will be honest. I dont use any dap for anything but streaming and on board music listening. So this is not a problem if dap is stripped down of most smartphone features. Though streaming must be hicup free for me.

I will be giving it a try next week most likely, see how it feels and sounds. Who knows, it might change my mind over R8.

Apr 30, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #818 of 1,165
I guess for you both will work :)

Both definitely great devices, all complaints are perfect 1st world problems.

A&K brings some elite / premium heritage and the UI looks and functionality are really well made. As well as the industrial design of the device itself. But I think this should not be the driver for a particular decision. My 2c.

Speaking of design. You will need a case for the SE200 because the sharp edges are super uncomfortable during use. With case it is ideal.

Apr 30, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #820 of 1,165
O
I guess for you both will work :)

Both definitely great devices, all complaints are perfect 1st world problems.

A&K brings some elite / premium heritage and the UI looks and functionality are really well made. As well as the industrial design of the device itself. But I think this should not be the driver for a particular decision. My 2c.

Speaking of design. You will need a case for the SE200 because the sharp edges are super uncomfortable during use. With case it is ideal.
Well as im using dap on average 8 hrs a day, and its most of the time in the pocket, case is a must. Otherwise it gets scratched.

This i one interesting one btw, A&K dont include case right?

Apr 30, 2021 at 8:27 PM Post #821 of 1,165
This i one interesting one btw, A&K dont include case right?
No, It Is not included, with the original case You have to pay Attention if You want to use a 4.4 Adapter, the pw one don't fit through the cutout for example, don't know the others.

The case from miter has the upper side of the player completely free, but It Is pu leather...

Apr 30, 2021 at 10:45 PM Post #822 of 1,165
I'll wait until the reviews come out comparing the two .... If it happens to sound better than the SE200 with either of the cards on release I'm saying bye bye to AK forever haha I can sell my SE200 for what I bought it for so no skin off my nose. I've got a Hugo 2 on the way as well so there's always options.
Good luck with the H2. I sold it after comparing it to the AK SP1000; too sterile for me which is typical Chord house sound (IMHO); I also had the Mojo. I like the company though.

May 1, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #823 of 1,165
Hi Guys, i'm just jumping in... I demoed the 200 when it first came out and didnt like it at all (at the time I was using the A&K1000M). then someone told me in the forum that with the f/w update (the first one) the 200 sounds amazing... Is that the consensus here? Should I take another look at this?
Thanks in advance...

Last edited:
May 1, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #824 of 1,165
Actually I do sometimes, but it depends on the usage scenario and also signature I prefer for the moment. Why do you think people like Crinacle also stand up for using their phone instead of a DAP? But again, I have nothing against DAPs or buying high end gear (otherwise I would not be here in this forum) - I am just claiming that in many cases we are not getting what we think we get, that is all.

Can I ask why are you using a SR25 instead of your former SPK2000cu (at least it seems from your signature)?
Hi there, I'm sorry. Yes, I returned the 2000 on Amazon right when the virus hit last year, and everything was crazy. I decided to pool my resources. Honestly, I loved the 2000, but I think i would get the SS instead of the cu...Anyway, I got the SR25 out of curiosity, (because I used to own the SR15, but lost it when I left it on a bar top in Manahattan) but then I bought the SP1000M blue (2nd time I owned it) (before that I had the SE100)...But now I am the proud owner of the M8. Dual 99 Dacs, and it sounds amazing. 1 user on the forum at least, who owns both, said the M8 was better than the 2000. Now of course that's a subjective opinion. But I think the consensus is that the 2000 has the better sound stage and perhaps imaging, but the M8 has better layering, and musicality, as well as highly detailed.

May 1, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #825 of 1,165
Hi Guys, i'm just jumping in... I demoed the 200 when it first came out and didnt like it at all (at the time I was using the A&K1000M). then someone told me in the forum that with the f/w update (the first one) the 200 sounds amazing... Is that the consensus here? Should I take another look at this?
Thanks in advance...
I have the SE200 and the M8. The SE200 doesn’t get much playtime from me, honestly. Had a few firmware’s and sound was not too altered between them if you control your filters. Depends on what you’d be wanting it for? Its smaller, more pocketable, less battery to charge, stable, etc. If you have an opportunity, take another look, but strictly on sound quality, the SE200 is not competitive to the M8 to my ears. It gets all the rough outlines right, but is outclassed by the details and timbre reproduction’s of the M8. The AKM side of the SE200 needs to have an ESS side, the M8 seems to handle everything you give it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back