Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Apr 26, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #781 of 1,165
But yeah... at least the SE200 looks better than the SE180... for all thats worth.

EDIT: And as @Skullar mentioned in the official SE180 thread... what's to say that AK won't release DAC cards in the future with a single AKM4499 chip and the same ESS setup that is found in the SE200, rendering it completely obsolete??
Obsolete is a little bit hard, first we have to see if also sp3000 has changeable Amps, if Not, You have to be afraid if there will BE more than 3 amp cards. But I am positive that there will BE more...

For demanding IEM like my Roxanne the SE200 is perfect.
The bass Rumble on old Metal Albums through Tidal is Something Special on AKM side (DDVerni of Overkill never sounded so brutal 😉).
Also on every style that Is bass relevant.
For music with female voice and where something Is orchstrally going on sabre is fine.
On the other side I have the SE100 that now my Better half is using.
So 2K for what If I can have both on used market?

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #782 of 1,165
Size was one thing i found se200 very attractive against dx300(way too tall) and R8(borderline too thick). the later 2 are on brink of being non portable. For many they actually are. But se200 owners scared me off a bit with 2 things. The feedback on poor streaming app support and subpar wifi signal.
Of course not sure to what extent it is an issue. But 1 thing was a sure deal breaker.

Seems like se180 sorted the main one out. Now all that's left. Is to see if they improved app support and wifi.
Though, again se180 size is not that mch smaller than R8. So no win win anywhere..

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #783 of 1,165
Size was one thing i found se200 very attractive against dx300(way too tall) and R8(borderline too thick). the later 2 are on brink of being non portable. For many they actually are. But se200 owners scared me off a bit with 2 things. The feedback on poor streaming app support and subpar wifi signal.
Of course not sure to what extent it is an issue. But 1 thing was a sure deal breaker.

Seems like se180 sorted the main one out. Now all that's left. Is to see if they improved app support and wifi.
Though, again se180 size is not that mch smaller than R8. So no win win anywhere..
I've never had any issues with the SE200's wifi tbh... I can't say the same for the SR25 though. Streaming services, besides the recent Tidal issues, I've also been happy with. I do only use Tidal (mostly the embedded app) and Bandcamp though.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #784 of 1,165
Obsolete is a little bit hard, first we have to see if also sp3000 has changeable Amps, if Not, You have to be afraid if there will BE more than 3 amp cards. But I am positive that there will BE more...

For demanding IEM like my Roxanne the SE200 is perfect.
The bass Rumble on old Metal Albums through Tidal is Something Special on AKM side (DDVerni of Overkill never sounded so brutal 😉).
Also on every style that Is bass relevant.
For music with female voice and where something Is orchstrally going on sabre is fine.
On the other side I have the SE100 that now my Better half is using.
So 2K for what If I can have both on used market?
I read somewhere that they are planning 2 more I think? One later this year and one next... not sure where I read it to and what kind of configurations they might be though...

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #786 of 1,165
I've never had any issues with the SE200's wifi tbh...
Same, no issues at all.
Except this Tidal embedded app log in issue, that's it. And easily worked around.
I just figured the SE200 thread wasn't very active cause everyone was enjoying their music uninterrupted from all these other models "problems"? Or maybe no one bought it?

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:47 PM Post #787 of 1,165
Same, no issues at all.
Except this Tidal embedded app log in issue, that's it. And easily worked around.
I just figured the SE200 thread wasn't very active cause everyone was enjoying their music uninterrupted from all these other models "problems"? Or maybe no one bought it?
Yeah it's quite quiet in here... but I've been silently enjoying it and not felt the need to side grade or jump ship until recently... and even then it's not been due to sound quality issues.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #788 of 1,165
Same, no issues at all.
good point, a week ago I ordered one and I was surprised the number of post in this thread. I would like to think your first point is the correct answer...

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #789 of 1,165
Same, no issues at all.
I also have had no issues with wifi while streaming.

I recently purchased the SE200 and think it sounds fantastic over my 64audio u12t. I'm ordering a new cable to listen to it with my Focal Stellias. For now, I prefer the AKM side for the classical music I listen to most of the time, but having the ESS side is nice for a change of pace. The ESS implementation clearly produces sound with more air but for some reason I find the AKM side more engaging. I'm surprised at how different the two DACs sound.

The main negative was the crap screen protector and back protector, which ruined the box opening experience. The screen protector makes the screen so fuzzy. I decided to roll the dice and buy a glass SE100 screen protect that hopefully fits. I ruined one back protector trying to put it on and the other has a big fingerprint in the back (from me), which isn't a big deal as I use a leather case.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #790 of 1,165
I never screen protect :sweat_smile: I am crazy like that. But also, I hate air bubbles. Hate 'em.

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #791 of 1,165
poor streaming app support and subpar wifi signal.
I'm a first time A&K owner with the SE200. I definitely found the side loading weird. And their (A&K's) instructions didn't work for me to side load Spotify, had to do some googling.

Once loaded, though, I haven't had a single issue, wifi included.

I love the versatility of two DACs in one. I mostly listen to the AKM side based on my typical music (EDM), but when I switch to 70s/80s/90s rock, I'll switch over to the ESS side and it's noticeably more enjoyable.

I'm a massive fan of the DAP. Only way I think I'd end up selling it is if I decided to sell everything and buy one of the silly $6k IEMs...that I'd have to play from my phone, hah! It's an urge I fight...been spending too much time in the flinkenick's thread lol!

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:00 PM Post #792 of 1,165
I also have had no issues with wifi while streaming.

I recently purchased the SE200 and think it sounds fantastic over my 64audio u12t. I'm ordering a new cable to listen to it with my Focal Stellias. For now, I prefer the AKM side for the classical music I listen to most of the time, but having the ESS side is nice for a change of pace. The ESS implementation clearly produces sound with more air but for some reason I find the AKM side more engaging. I'm surprised at how different the two DACs sound.

The main negative was the crap screen protector and back protector, which ruined the box opening experience. The screen protector makes the screen so fuzzy. I decided to roll the dice and buy a glass SE100 screen protect that hopefully fits. I ruined one back protector trying to put it on and the other has a big fingerprint in the back (from me), which isn't a big deal as I use a leather case.
The SE100 glossy ones work fine and don't mess with the resolution of the screen. Thats what I'm using currently.

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #793 of 1,165
The screen protector makes the screen so fuzzy.
Isn't if funny how different preferences can be?

I thought the fuzzy protector was weird, too. But after using it, I really like it because it doesn't show fingerprints. Glad there are at least options for you to try.

Hope the SE100 protector works for you.

Edit: changed a weird, but important, autocorrect error

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:15 PM Post #794 of 1,165
I read somewhere that they are planning 2 more I think? One later this year and one next... not sure where I read it to and what kind of configurations they might be though...
So let's roll the dice wich AMP modules there will be 😆

On the other hand having more daps means that I never run out of battery 😉
(if I don't forget to charge the others)

Apr 26, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #795 of 1,165
Trying to figure out if it be worth it to sell my se100 and buy a used se200.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back