Astell&Kern A&futura SE200: First DAP With Multiple DACs - Head-Fi TV
Aug 21, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #256 of 1,165
I agree. For the moment, no more innovation is needed from AK. They just need to turn their attention to the display and UI.
Let me disagree with You about A & k innovation.
Weaknesses of A & k SE 200/100 in comparison with other DAPs under $2000:
- there is no Google Play and the ability to install USB Audio Player Pro (TIDAL), (UAPP allows you to get high-quality sound in TIDAL and output sound to DAC via USB) and other audio programs;
- there is no possibility of installing interchangeable amplifiers (for example, a Korg tube), which allow you to select the sound feed and optimal gain for the headphones (or gain level);
- there are no filters that allow you to fine-tune the sound presentation (filters have already appeared in A & k SE200, they do not work with TIDAL), perhaps A&K will delight us with filters in the new firmware for A & k SE100
- there are no publicly available firmwares, A&K doesn't provide them for downloading from official site, despite the fact that A&K firmware has a different effect on the quality of sound reproduction. Accordingly there is no way to choose the best one for you;
- when using the player as a source, there are very few options for outputting sound to the DAC (only linear output), there is no digital and optical output.

PS. It is better to be able to choose than to be left without this opportunity.
A & k does not provide the user with a wide choice of functionality within a single DAP, preferring to add new features to more expensive devices (A & k marketing).

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #257 of 1,165
Aug 21, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #258 of 1,165
- there is no Google Play and the ability to install USB Audio Player Pro (TIDAL), (UAPP allows you to get high-quality sound in TIDAL and output sound to DAC via USB) and other audio programs;
- there is no possibility of installing interchangeable amplifiers (for example, a Korg tube), which allow you to select the sound feed and optimal gain for the headphones (or gain level);
- there are no filters that allow you to fine-tune the sound presentation (filters have already appeared in A & k SE200, they do not work with TIDAL), perhaps A&K will delight us with filters in the new firmware for A & k SE100
- there are no publicly available firmwares, A&K doesn't provide them for downloading from official site, despite the fact that A&K firmware has a different effect on the quality of sound reproduction. Accordingly there is no way to choose the best one for you;
- when using the player as a source, there are very few options for outputting sound to the DAC (only linear output), there is no digital and optical output.

A & k does not provide the user with a wide choice of functionality within a single DAP, preferring to add new features to more expensive devices (A & k marketing).
Hey, interesting points.

What DAPS are you comparing the SE200 to that can do all of the things you mentioned above?

Aug 21, 2020 at 6:41 PM Post #259 of 1,165

All valid points.
  • Coming from the DX200, I personally don’t need Google Play services as long as I can side-load Tidal. I’m finding that I actually prefer the more “pure” DAP experience over one that feels more like an open-world Android device. I’m sure this also contributes to the excellent battery life. That said, I can certainly see the value for other users.
  • For my use cases, multiple DACs in one unit are more useful than a swappable amp section but I’m sure some will disagree. I’m sure AK could implement both but they’d be running the risk cannibalizing sales of other DAPs in their product line.
  • Not trying to be an AK fanboy but they are checking most of my boxes here. Fairly pure DAP experience, sounds great, looks great, great on the go (minus the sharp edges). This device serves one purpose for me, HiFi sound away from my desk. I do realize that a lot of people will expect such an expensive device to do more, though. A Swiss Army knife, the SE200 is not.

Aug 21, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #260 of 1,165
Fairly pure DAP experience, sounds great, looks great, great on the go (minus the sharp edges). This device serves one purpose for me, HiFi sound away from my desk. I do realize that a lot of people will expect such an expensive device to do more, though. A Swiss Army knife, the SE200 is not.
[/LIST]

This is why my next dap may be an Astell and Kern.

Aug 21, 2020 at 9:44 PM Post #262 of 1,165
All valid points.
  • Coming from the DX200, I personally don’t need Google Play services as long as I can side-load Tidal. I’m finding that I actually prefer the more “pure” DAP experience over one that feels more like an open-world Android device. I’m sure this also contributes to the excellent battery life. That said, I can certainly see the value for other users.
  • For my use cases, multiple DACs in one unit are more useful than a swappable amp section but I’m sure some will disagree. I’m sure AK could implement both but they’d be running the risk cannibalizing sales of other DAPs in their product line.
  • Not trying to be an AK fanboy but they are checking most of my boxes here. Fairly pure DAP experience, sounds great, looks great, great on the go (minus the sharp edges). This device serves one purpose for me, HiFi sound away from my desk. I do realize that a lot of people will expect such an expensive device to do more, though. A Swiss Army knife, the SE200 is not.
Coming from dx200 also ibasso ui is ridiculous slow almost unusable if you ask me ( but sounds amazing .All the ak players I've tried have been faster but still pretty slow for the price tag of 3,000-5,000 AUD.The fact that there's faster phones at 500 dollars doesn't make sense to me .

Aug 21, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #263 of 1,165
Coming from dx200 also ibasso ui is ridiculous slow almost unusable if you ask me ( but sounds amazing .All the ak players I've tried have been faster but still pretty slow for the price tag of 3,000-5,000 AUD.The fact that there's faster phones at 500 dollars doesn't make sense to me .
Totally agree. That was one of my main criticisms in an earlier post. That being said, I tolerate this shortcoming because of the sound.

Aug 22, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #267 of 1,165
So far, the burn-in folder with a 3 DSD, 7 FLAC, and 5 32bit WAV files gets me 5hr 10min run time.
Using all FLAC files is getting me 6hr 20min.
100% down to 2% on the battery.

Should I be happy??

If everyone was getting 9+ hours and it was ONLY me getting 4 hours yes, that would be mean the issue is only with my unit
But read the thread. Many people say they get around 5 hours like I do. Someone has just said this:

I guess Amp 9 changes it a little.... Still, unacceptable from a stock set up.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #269 of 1,165
Doesn't the DX220 have like 5 hours battery life? ... Despite its widespread praise sound wise, that is just not acceptable to me.
iBasso DX220 + iBasso AMP9 in OS Mango mode, gave better timbre accuracy, but the noise of the amplifier with my headphones and work malfunction made me side with A&k SE100.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #270 of 1,165
In six hours of work, of course not. What headphones did you listen to?
I have not used the player or owned it, these are quotes from owners in the DX220 thread. I have seen quite a few comments that have stated similar experiences. Seems like use of anything other than the stripped down mango mode drains the battery quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back