Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Apr 24, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #377 of 648
I own SEM2 and like it. What was your impression of the difference between SEM 2 + 3?
It was only a brief listen I felt the tonality fitted in between sem1 and 2. It was a quick meet in a less than quiet environment. For me it didn't really add anything. The one thing I will say is the intimacy of sem1 vs the broader open stage on sem2 is a good contrast. I therefore didn't feel sem3 added anything of benefit for me. Just my view though

Apr 24, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #378 of 648
I own SEM2 and like it. What was your impression of the difference between SEM 2 + 3?

the question it’s no refered to me but…anyway…
SEM2 it’s about the most vivid sound, really like the SP1000cu, the sound shines and the sound leans towards the neutral-warm territory.
SEM3 it’s about the more neutral and precise sound, no soft by any means, but it’s very revealing (more revealing than the SEM2 in a comparison side to side), better soundstage and a more airier sound, but always in the correct and linear way.

It’s something like this more or less…

Apr 24, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #379 of 648
SEM2 it’s about the most vivid sound, really like the SP1000cu, the sound shines and the sound leans towards the neutral-warm territory.
SEM3 it’s about the more neutral and precise sound, no soft by any means, but it’s very revealing (more revealing than the SEM2 in a comparison side to side), better soundstage and a more airier sound, but always in the correct and linear way.

This is super helpful. Thanks. I do like the SEM2 and agree with your description of it, too.

Apr 28, 2022 at 12:38 PM Post #381 of 648
Apr 28, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #382 of 648
Apr 29, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #383 of 648

For me SEM2 is a little bit coloured, mainly because of the boosted mid-bass presence and more attenuated, brighter lower-treble with smoothed out upper-treble. It's very musical and engaging, with really nice separation and very big instruments but I'm lacking a little bit of air.
SEM3 brings more air, is more linear but still slightly warm. Definitely has a better soundstage, at least when it comes to width and feels mory airy and vivid than SEM2. But then again even after burning-in I'd wish for the bass to hit a little harder, be more precise and tight with a tad more sparkle to the treble. Nevertheless it sounds phenomenal.

I wish for SEM4 to followe a similar direction of timbre like Lotoo PAW 6000. Warm-neutral, very transparent (meaning it shows the earphones capabilities) musical but detailed. Timbre-wise I think it has the potential to be the best amongst all but guess we'll see soon enough. Still hope that SEM5 will be more clinical, neutral, revealing - a detail monster with some brighter presenation :D That would make SE180 an absolute beast when it comes to covering different sound sigs.

Apr 29, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #384 of 648
Anyone knows comparison of every AK sem modules? Like detailed comparison..

I used Paw 6000 because its fun, natural, rounded bass body, vocal is more intimate than se180 with sem1 module but i like the clear, resolving, details & “attack” nature of sem1 with es9038pro especially when instrument hit, or guitar timbre

They are on par that i seem hard to let go each other.
Also paw 6000 are smaller, easier to handle, far faster boot, lighter on weight too

Is it wise to let go paw6k and go for sem2? Or i should wait for sem4?

I paired with my daily driver Fir M5 and custom 16 braid litz-II

F4E7062E-5FF4-466F-9F40-F44225EED1F7.jpeg

Last edited:
May 2, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #385 of 648
Survey: Which SEM fits best with which InEar headphones?

I own SEM 1, 2 and 3 and regularly check which module suits which of my IEM best...

My current status:

First choice:
SEM 3 with Odin, EXT or Indigo
SEM 2 with Trio

Second choice:
SEM 3 with Trio
SEM 2 with EXT or Indigo
SEM 1 with Odin

What are your experiences or preferences?

May 3, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #387 of 648
Survey: Which SEM fits best with which InEar headphones?

I own SEM 1, 2 and 3 and regularly check which module suits which of my IEM best...

My current status:

First choice:
SEM 3 with Odin, EXT or Indigo
SEM 2 with Trio

Second choice:
SEM 3 with Trio
SEM 2 with EXT or Indigo
SEM 1 with Odin

What are your experiences or preferences?
That's the funny thing about juggling with the modules. It really depends upon what I wanna listen to and what kind of overall effect I wanna achieve. For example I would never, ever ever, think that my EE Nemesis + Astral Acoustics Stage 2 could sound so holographic, vivid and airy like with SEM1. It takes away quite a bit of mid-bas, makes the instruments appear smaller than comparatively with SEM2, but the end results are quite surprising because the overall quality is amazing. The resolution, spatiousness and layering is unlike Nemesis' presentation at all :D Then again with my old, trusty Beyerdynamic Xelento paired up with Nocturnal Audio Leggera and SEM3, the soundstage is friggin ridiculous and humongous. It's not just the flat width with no depth, on the contrary. It's quite deep but it's VAST and the last time I felt something that spatious was when listening to my HD800S + Burson Conductor 3X Performance over balanced output... and I could go on with other pairings.

Thing is, some might think next modules don't add too much to the overall experience. I disagree. Right now I feel like having 3 separate DAPs with their own unique traits and sound signatures. It of course depends how sensitive to the source's signature your IEMs are but having a few different pairs (like I have) leads to and endless series of tests and for me it's been quite an experience being able to discover and get to know anew some of my old IEMs that were just laying in my drawer. Best example? Fidue A91 Sirius <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back