Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
May 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #391 of 648
I guess I'm the only one with the SEM4 around here so far.

1653400485102.png

The SEM1 and SEM3 modules (ESS based) are not necessarily the typical A&K sound. Especially SEM3 has an analytical presentation with great detail, sound stage and resolution. It has been the best module you can attach to the SEM3 in my opinion.

Or is it?

Well, as soon as the SEM4 arrived, it's not easy for me to pick just one. The new module sounds much more like A&K signature, with creamy mids, deep and wide staging, excellent imaging and treble extension with lots of micro details. Overall, the SEM4 makes the SE180 a great cheaper alternative to the SP2000 in my mind. I have used the SP2000 for over a year, so I can say that this setup is not SP2000, but it's not far away either. For SP2000T idk, I haven't got a chance to test it.

I haven't played around much with the "DAR" upsampling setting, but as a very first impression; it opens up the staging a bit with more spaciousness. It sounds immersive and wide. It converts basically everything to DSD, so yeah, very interesting feature.

Of course, the DAP costs around 1900$ with this module so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. But if you're after a focused, analytical and sharp sound you can pick the SEM3. The SEM4 is for the people who are quite familiar with A&K sound. But boy, it sounds really good.

I'll do a review on HFN but I thought this quick impression would help.

Last edited:
May 24, 2022 at 11:10 AM Post #392 of 648
I guess I'm the only one with the SEM4 around here so far.

The SEM1 and SEM3 modules (ESS based) are not necessarily the typical A&K sound. Especially SEM3 has an analytical presentation with great detail, sound stage and resolution. It has been the best module you can attach to the SEM3 in my opinion.

Or is it?

Well, as soon as the SEM4 arrived, it's not easy for me to pick just one. The new module sounds much more like A&K signature, with creamy mids, deep and wide staging, excellent imaging and treble extension with lots of micro details. Overall, the SEM4 makes the SE180 a great cheaper alternative to the SP2000 in my mind. I have used the SP2000 for over a year, so I can say that this setup is not SP2000, but it's not far away either. For SP2000T idk, I haven't got a chance to test it.

I haven't played around much with the "DAR" upsampling setting, but as a very first impression; it opens up the staging a bit with more spaciousness. It sounds immersive and wide. It converts basically everything to DSD, so yeah, very interesting feature.

Of course, the DAP costs around 1900$ with this module so it's up to you to decide if it's worth it. But if you're after a focused, analytical and sharp sound you can pick the SEM3. The SEM4 is for the people who are quite familiar with A&K sound. But boy, it sounds really good.

I'll do a review on HFN but I thought this quick impression would help.

I’m totally agree with your observations, i’m still trying to digest how much good can be this SEM4…i’m in the burn in process, but untill now i can say that It’s the closest sound to the SP2000 that I have heard in all the A&K lineup.
814F9D81-656A-4717-A5D9-5C4DEBB3CD1A.jpeg

77DC6D61-914A-464E-91EC-F1E8CAE14A70.jpeg

B131BA24-A5A5-4946-A6A9-31B6FB43DA13.jpeg

Last edited:
May 30, 2022 at 6:04 PM Post #393 of 648
Today I had an opportunity to listen and compare SEM3 module to both SEM1 and SEM2.
I thought I'd share my brief impressions here.

I used tracks "Sparks" and "Red" (the first ones) off the album "Human III" by Thomas Bergesen. And Fir Audio Xenon6 for an iem.
This is an interesting album with a kinda soundtrack/epic feel to it, with music mixing some orchestra and modern styles.
It is recorded rather well, but not perfect, with mild compression, which I find good for testing. With not optimal setup it tends to sound congested.

For all modules, DAC filter was set to "linear phase fast roll off" or "sharp roll off".

Sem3
Very airy, detailed, good dynamics.
Lots of space between the instruments, the stage is holographic
When there are many instrument lines, it is easy to focus on each
Bass is deep, striking rather hard, but a tad more neutral than sem2
In the beginning, the track "Red" has a lot of small high-frequency details, everything is heard perfectly. Some slits, overflows, brushes, clicks, all really show great textures and details.
With some techno-dead metal sounds great too

Sem1
As if it sounds a little more cohesive, the scene is smaller, which makes it harder to focus on small details. The depth and elaboration of the bass is about the same level with SEM3.
Dynamics and "drive" are more on sem1. With the first module everything seems to sound denser.
The timbre of the vocals seems to be a little more realistic on the sem3.

In the track "RED" in the culmination (around 4.30 mark) there are such places where the bass drum with the orchestra starts to play very loudly, on the sem1 it seems as if there is an overload, on the sem3 it is not, everything is also dynamic, percussive, but you can easily concentrate on each individual sound.

In general, I really liked Sem3, it sounds different, and with my iems the synergy is good.

Sem 2

Signature Astell Kern sound, iridescent mids. The vocals are very expressive. Highs are sparkling, but not as good separation as on sem3. The details are of course well defined and plentiful.
The dynamics are also on top, the transitions from quiet to loud sounds are clear, there is no compression.
The scene is rather average, the sound is more about emotions and musicality.
There is no "overdrive" effect in that place on the Red track at 4.30 as on the first module, in general, the sound is a little warm, analog.

I wish they had sem4 there, but no luck this time.

Jun 2, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #397 of 648
why should it not be enough? It's just a relatively easy to drive iem, should be much more than enough.
I have never switched to even high gain with any of my iems (fir audio m5, xenon).
thanks, I try to paired it with some Sony models, rs6, m15, the best pairing is Aphla, I think its high power character so that it's stand out from other DAPs,any comparison between Alpha and se180 please?

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2022 at 6:43 AM Post #399 of 648
thanks, I try to paired it with some Sony models, rs6, m15, the best pairing is Aphla, I think its high power character so that it's stand out from other DAPs,any comparison between Alpha and se180 please?
Excuse me, didn't answer in time, I was thinking of suggesting new Kahn Max, if you wanted well a maximum power output.

But I think se180 + sem4 is an excellent choice nonetheless.
As for burn-in time, they say that around 50 hours should be more than enough. I personally didn't hear any noticeable changes, so I'd say you to start enjoying music right away :)

And please share your sem4 impressions (vs sem1 in particulary).

Jun 7, 2022 at 9:46 PM Post #400 of 648
Excuse me, didn't answer in time, I was thinking of suggesting new Kahn Max, if you wanted well a maximum power output.

But I think se180 + sem4 is an excellent choice nonetheless.
As for burn-in time, they say that around 50 hours should be more than enough. I personally didn't hear any noticeable changes, so I'd say you to start enjoying music right away :)

And please share your sem4 impressions (vs sem1 in particulary).
Thanks, after a few hours of listening with z1r-sem4, the background is dark/silience, vol setting up to 85 is needed whereas 65 with Kann Alpha, battery consumption rate improved (4% go -1hr, DSD) vs 10-15% go -1hr for Alpha

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:46 AM Post #401 of 648
Thanks, after a few hours of listening with z1r-sem4, the background is dark/silience, vol setting up to 85 is needed whereas 65 with Kann Alpha, battery consumption rate improved (4% go -1hr, DSD) vs 10-15% go -1hr for Alpha

My first unit a malfunction one- no response no matter you plug in to a desktop or long press the switch on button, only show you a black screen! I m surprise seem like a number of people have the same issue when I read the posts here! I hardly believe the QC of a Kr home make and costly device is like this. its destroy my trust with AK as a long term user., lucky I got a new one and functioning as normal.
1654673852834.png

Jun 8, 2022 at 5:28 AM Post #402 of 648
Out of curiosity. Any of you have problems with a TIDAL app installed through xapk or download section in the services menu? I'm specifically referring to the downloaded offline library. Mine for some reason can't play any downloaded content, just gets stuck and sometimes it plays a second or two after a lengthy loading only to pop and screech afterwards. Tried reinstalling the app, downloaded my entire library three times already, even tried different app versions... To no avail. It's kinda infuriating.

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:00 AM Post #403 of 648
Out of curiosity. Any of you have problems with a TIDAL app installed through xapk or download section in the services menu? I'm specifically referring to the downloaded offline library. Mine for some reason can't play any downloaded content, just gets stuck and sometimes it plays a second or two after a lengthy loading only to pop and screech afterwards. Tried reinstalling the app, downloaded my entire library three times already, even tried different app versions... To no avail. It's kinda infuriating.

I also have some problems with Tidal side-loaded app playing offline library. It only plays downloaded content for a day or so, and then just refuses to do so, showing "no connection" notification. But why should there be a connection if I'm trying to play downloaded albums?

As for your problem, have you already tried resetting your unit to default settings?

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:04 AM Post #404 of 648
No, not yet. That's like the last resort for me but something tells me I have no other choice. Besides I've found these issues occuring after the latest FW update which enabled the use of SEM4

Jun 8, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #405 of 648
No, not yet. That's like the last resort for me but something tells me I have no other choice. Besides I've found these issues occuring after the latest FW update which enabled the use of SEM4

I use Tidal app daily and do experience occasional stuttering, but I think it's due to a bad wifi signal (happens only on master quality tracks).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back