Astell&Kern A&futura SE180 - The First Modular DAP from Astell&Kern
Jun 8, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #406 of 648
Out of curiosity. Any of you have problems with a TIDAL app installed through xapk or download section in the services menu? I'm specifically referring to the downloaded offline library. Mine for some reason can't play any downloaded content, just gets stuck and sometimes it plays a second or two after a lengthy loading only to pop and screech afterwards. Tried reinstalling the app, downloaded my entire library three times already, even tried different app versions... To no avail. It's kinda infuriating.

I also sideload my Tidal and I have no issue with my downloaded tracks. Yes, you might need to reset your unit and start from scratch.

I use Tidal app daily and do experience occasional stuttering, but I think it's due to a bad wifi signal (happens only on master quality tracks).

In my experience, I only encounter stuttering when I switch tracks immediately, multiple times (non-downloaded tracks). Like it doesn't have enough time to stream/load the next track.

Jun 12, 2022 at 6:52 AM Post #407 of 648
Seems my problems with TIDAL persist and are worse than I've initially thought. After a complete reset of entire device I've downloaded TIDAL app from the "download" tab in Services section, restored my offline content... and it still doesn't work. If I hit "play" it either plays a few seconds before stuttering and making those screeching and popping noises or just "loads" the track infinitely. TO make it worse, same thing happens with embeded app. It either plays few seconds of the track before it makes those screeching and popping sounds and it either reverts to the beginning of the track or jumps to another one. Some tracks play normal, some play to a certain point and they crash. Sometimes even the app itself shuts down on it's own. There absolutely no problem with the local files on my sd card and it's just... stupid.

Jun 17, 2022 at 7:13 AM Post #408 of 648
Hey guys! I'm selling a barely used SE180 that was purchased last year with the first module. Shipping internationally too. Selling it for just $650 USD excluding shipping charges. The condition is absolutely excellent. Let me know if anyone's interested!

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2022 at 10:49 AM Post #410 of 648
Hey guys! I'm selling a barely used SE180 that was purchased last year with the first module. Shipping internationally too. Selling it for just $700 USD excluding shipping charges. The condition is absolutely excellent. Let me know if anyone's interested!
Post an add at Carousell as well :wink:
Unfortunately I'm not in sg now.. Would've been a better option

Jun 21, 2022 at 1:33 AM Post #413 of 648
Hello. I'm planning to join "the club". My SE180 should arrive today.
I had a chance to audition both SE180 and SE200 last Saturday.

I was very impressed:

Pros:
- SE180's tonality is very similar to my desktop system on ESS Sabre DAC (Burson Audio)
- I like this modular system > you have more flexibility to find your sound
- I like its 4.4 mm output (I own a good Plussound Poetry cable which can be used now)
- Roon Ready - can be easily integrated into my home environment (I know that the functionality of Roon here is limited but this is a good feature to have anyways)

Cons:
- bulky, can not really call it portable but I own a SA700 for on the go.

BTW, vs SA700 in my opinion: SE180 is more transparent, has better extension on both ends, has higher resolution and better instrument separation

IMHO I did not find the SE200 sounding superior. It sounds slightly different but not better.
I believe that the price difference between the two DAPs makes people (and some reviewers) think that the SE200 should be better.
I don't really like this "two DACs in one DAP' approach either. To me this feature is questionable...

I'm also planning to order a SEM3 module. I don't think I need the SEM2 on AKM.

Do you guys think that the SEM3 is the way to go since I like the SEM1? Thanks.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:19 AM Post #414 of 648
At a time when high-quality dongle dac amps under $300 can keep up with DAPs that cost $1000+ and thus DAPs are also lagging behind the features of current smartphones (try updating your new Astell Kern in 3/4/5 years in the hope of getting the current Android in order to still get relevant (streaming) apps and support, then it only slowly becomes apparent how obsolete such a chunk actually is. Of course we strive for minimalism, the essential. but what is more essential than that to take what you already have (which usually has better components) and simply plug in a high-quality dongle.
While I agree with your minimalist sentiments my experiences with several dacs and dongles attached to my phone is that they often become disconnected and are subject to rf interference. After several years I moved on to a dedicated dap and have not looked back. Re. modules, it’s a pleasure to tailor my sound via hardware to meet my preferences and iems/headphones.

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:28 AM Post #415 of 648
Survey: Which SEM fits best with which InEar headphones?

I own SEM 1, 2 and 3 and regularly check which module suits which of my IEM best...

My current status:

First choice:
SEM 3 with Odin, EXT or Indigo
SEM 2 with Trio

Second choice:
SEM 3 with Trio
SEM 2 with EXT or Indigo
SEM 1 with Odin

What are your experiences or preferences?
SEM 1 with Focal Clear
SEM 2 with IE 900

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #417 of 648
The SE180 just arrived. Looks like the battery is completely empty.
Tried to charge it with a standard samsung wall charger but nothing is happening, nothing is displayed on the screen either.
Is this ok? Tried another sumsung charger - same picture.

I use these wall chargers to charge my SA700 without any problem

P.S. Looks like I need to visit the dealer tomorrow to replace the unit...

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2022 at 2:56 PM Post #418 of 648
Tried to charge it with a standard samsung wall charger but nothing is happening, nothing is displayed on the screen either.

You should be able to tell whether the device is charging fairly easily.
If it's on a charger and you press the power button just as you would to wake it, it should show a battery icon with a bar representing how full it is on the center of the screen.
Really hard to miss.
If it doesn't do that, well, I'm afraid you'll need to go back to replace it. :/

Jun 21, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #419 of 648

If it's completely dead, you may need to leave it plugged in for at least 15 - 20 minutes before the charging icon will display on screen.

Astell&Kern Stay updated on Astell&Kern at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/astellnkern/ https://twitter.com/astell_kern https://www.instagram.com/astellnkern.official/ https://astellnkern.com astellnkern@astellnkern.com
Jun 21, 2022 at 3:00 PM Post #420 of 648
The SE180 just arrived. Looks like the battery is completely empty. Tried to charge it with a standard samsung wall charger but nothing is happening, nothing is displayed on the screen either. Is this ok? Tried another sumsung charger - same picture. I use these wall chargers to charge my SA700 without any problem P.S. Looks like I need to visit the dealer tomorrow to replace the unit...
You should be able to tell whether the device is charging fairly easily. If it's on a charger and you press the power button just as you would to wake it, it should show a battery icon with a bar representing how full it is on the center of the screen. Really hard to miss. If it doesn't do that, well, I'm afraid you'll need to go back to replace it. :/
You should be able to tell whether the device is charging fairly easily. If it's on a charger and you press the power button just as you would to wake it, it should show a battery icon with a bar representing how full it is on the center of the screen. Really hard to miss. If it doesn't do that, well, I'm afraid you'll need to go back to replace it. :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back