Assistance in picking a suitable pair of Headphones
May 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

L7D4N

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi!

I've been a long time lurker, but recently joined the Forum to see if I could get assistance in selecting the best suited pair of Headphones for my Setup.

I will be purchasing a Schiit Magni Amplifier in the upcoming days, and have drilled down to the following Headphones to use with the Amp:

Audio-Technica ATH-A700x
Audio-Technica ATH-A900x
Sennheiser HD380 Pro
Beyerdynamic DT770 (250 ohm)

The Magni will be fed from my Asus Xonar DS with the LME49720NA OPAmp installed, and I typically listen to Hard/Alternative Rock and Trance/Trip-hop music. If anyone could assist in explaining which of the above Headphones (or another model below $200) would be best suited for my upcoming endeavor, I would very much appreciate it. This will be my first Headphone amplifier and first "audiophile" grade pair of Headphones I purchase. While I've long been in the game of Home Stereo equipment, my experience in Portable Amp and high-quality headphones is nonexistent. From my research, the ATH-A900x would probably be best, and a coworker has the 700x model with the winged headrest. I've already confirmed the fit is good my head, but I'm really curious if the Beyers or Senns would outperform the AT's in both Bass and clarity, and comfort is of the highest concern as I will be wearing them up to 8 Hours a day.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

-L7D4N

May 30, 2013 at 12:16 PM Post #3 of 7
Hey! I can't speak much on any of the Audio-Technica headphones other than that they are pretty well respected around here. I can speak for the comfort and bass performance of Beyerdynamics (I have the DT880s) and they excel in both. When I was deciding what to get, I was pointed in the direction of the DT770s a couple of times because they are closed and have good bass. I only went with the DT880s because I found a good deal. Hope this helps at all.

May 30, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #4 of 7
Awesome, thanks! Do your DT880s cause any fatigue after wearing them for an extended amount of time? I also forgot to mention that I'm looking for a Closed-Back pair of Headphones, as I will be using them in an office. Thanks!

May 30, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #5 of 7
For me personally, I think they are extremely comfortable for extended use. That being said, I could see how someone might get tired of wearing them because they are fairly heavy headphones. The velour pads and padded headband is plenty enough for me. Wait for what more experienced Head-Fiers have to say, but I don't think you can go wrong with the DT770s.

May 30, 2013 at 2:45 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks man! Another consideration would be the Jaycar Pro Monitors/Brainwavz HM5, but these worry me given their size regarding extended usage and fatigue, but I'll hold off on some more opinions before making a decision.

May 30, 2013 at 6:59 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:
Thanks man! Another consideration would be the Jaycar Pro Monitors/Brainwavz HM5, but these worry me given their size regarding extended usage and fatigue, but I'll hold off on some more opinions before making a decision.

The DT770's aren't heavy at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back