Assistance - Good SQ Mid Priced IEM's with in-line Mic
Sep 26, 2010 at 5:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

vfreeze31

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

This is my first time posting, but as I have been reading through many of you reviews will I have been doing some research, I thought I might put my question here with some details. By what I have been able to tell from your other forums, I should get some good guidance and advise from the members here.

Firstly, I will give a brief outline of what I am looking for. I want a good pair of in-ear phones for use with my mobile phone (HTC Desire). I am not worried too much about extra controls on the mic (but it may be a bonus if they work). I am looking to keep it around US$100 - US$150 (But lower would be nice if the quality is still good.

In sound, I mainly listen to Pop/Dance/Trance but I like my sound with bass that is solid but not overpowered as I like clear and crisp highs to really hear the melodies.

I have come across the following in the price range (based on sales in AMAZON)

Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5vi Noise Isolating Earphones w/ Microphone
by Ultimate Ears

$64.99

Sony DREX300iP Headphones
by Sony

$77.88

AKG K370 In-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone (Black)
by AKG

$149.99

Klipsch Image S4i Premium Noise-Isolating​ Headset with 3-Button Apple Control
by Klipsch

$99.99

Monster Turbine Mobile High Performance In-Ear Speakers with ControlTalk
by Monster

$139.00  
I am interested in the UE's as they are highly discounted (Over US$100), but I am not sure they are what I want. My other choice i am looking at is Klipsch as they seem to have good reviews and are well priced

Please let me know your thoughts, I appriciate, and look forward to, all comments that can be supplied.

Sep 27, 2010 at 3:10 AM Post #5 of 15
I really don't think the UE SF5 was designed for trance-type genres. It's got a good soundstage and forward midrange but rolls off slightly on either end and sounds a bit thick. The S4 is very popular though I'm not a fan. Very aggressive earphone with lots of bass and lots of treble. Can be slightly uncontrolled at very low frequencies and harsh/sibilant up top. The Monster Turbines are also fine - I like them more than the S4 though $140 is a bit much. Not the most accurate earphones, the positioning is not very precise, and treble power is lacking, but other than that they're very impressive - fast and resolving. 

Another one I'd look at is the new Thinksound TS02+mic. I think it sounds a least as good as the Turbines do but of course costs a healthy $40 less. Very warm but at the same time crisp and spacious sound.

Sep 27, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:
I really don't think the UE SF5 was designed for trance-type genres. It's got a good soundstage and forward midrange but rolls off slightly on either end and sounds a bit thick. The S4 is very popular though I'm not a fan. Very aggressive earphone with lots of bass and lots of treble. Can be slightly uncontrolled at very low frequencies and harsh/sibilant up top. The Monster Turbines are also fine - I like them more than the S4 though $140 is a bit much. Not the most accurate earphones, the positioning is not very precise, and treble power is lacking, but other than that they're very impressive - fast and resolving. 

Another one I'd look at is the new Thinksound TS02+mic. I think it sounds a least as good as the Turbines do but of course costs a healthy $40 less. Very warm but at the same time crisp and spacious sound.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply, I appriciate your comments. Do you listen to similar Music?

Do you think the Thinksound have more of a sound stage then the Turbines? As I have read, people think the turbines have no soundstage.

Also, I notice you did not mention the MC3.

Can you also advise me, do you think advertised frequency range means little when listening to the sound quality?

Sep 27, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #7 of 15
I listen to a bit of trance, especially during my workouts, which is why my comments were more trance-specific. I think the soundstage on the TS02+ is better than that of the Turbines and at least on par with that of my Turbine Pro Golds. It's not that the Turbines don't have a soundstage but they don't do the greatest job of pinpointing instruments within that soundstage - the regular turbines especially sound a bit 'vague', if you will. I don't  think accurate positioning is as important for trance as a general sense of space so no huge disadvantage there for Turbines.

The MC3 is not one I'd use for trance. It's a very accurate earphone but it doesn't really get my foot stomping - a bit boring, if you will. Others feel differently so I decided not to comment on it initially. 

Lastly, advertised frequency range means jack, period. The problem is measurement methods, which vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Some manufacturers, especially mainstream ones like Sony and JVC, try to maximize their advertised specifications to attract customers (who mostly know nothing about audio and think bigger numbers are better). The consumers themselves are part of the problem as they are encouraging this by indeed buying the product with the largest numbers. More specialized manufacturers know that their customers put the right amount of weight on these specs and don't try to 'fudge' the numbers. For example the frequency range on the $10 JVC Marshmallows is 8 - 23,000 Hz while the frequency range of the $450 triple-driver Audio-Technica CK100s is 20 - 18,000 Hz. 

That said, manufacturer specs can often be used to figure out how models relate within a manufacturer's range but that comes with practice and experience. 

Quote:
Thank you for your reply, I appriciate your comments. Do you listen to similar Music?  
Do you think the Thinksound have more of a sound stage then the Turbines? As I have read, people think the turbines have no soundstage.

Also, I notice you did not mention the MC3.

Can you also advise me, do you think advertised frequency range means little when listening to the sound quality?

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #10 of 15
Here's a pretty good list of IEMs with mics and linked reviews, although it has not been updated in a while, so doesn't include the TS02's that joker recommended. The Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Copper are also supposed to have a mic option ("ControTalk"), but not sure if that ever happened.

Sep 29, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:
dfrost said:

Here's a pretty good list of IEMs with mics and linked reviews, although it has not been updated in a while, so doesn't include the TS02's that joker recommended. The Monster Turbine Pro Gold and Copper are also supposed to have a mic option ("ControTalk"), but not sure if that ever happened.

Thanks for your reply.

I have seen the Turbine Pro Gold and Copper with the ControlTalk on the cables, but they are a bit out of the price range I am looking at.

I was wondering, do you have any recommendations, as having reviews are nice but for someone to say they thing this one is a bit better for this situation helps a lot.

Sep 29, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #12 of 15
You can try the Meelec M11P+ as well. Not accurate IEMs, but i find them very layered and engaging, with a good amount of bass. though the soundstage is intimate, a bit small. Its a bright earphone, which should work very nicely with your preferred sound signature.

About the amount of bass and its solidness, it all depends on your definition of bass. If you find the CX300s alright, this earphone should work plenty well, as it has lesser bass but still quite a good amount. The bass is also fairly tight.

Actually i find that if you get a 3.5mm extension with a mic on it ( very much like the Sony Ericsson stock earpieces and the Samsung ones), you can really open up your choices. The only problem is the excessively long cord but a cable organiser should be able to fix it.

Sep 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:
vfreeze31 said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif

I was wondering, do you have any recommendations, as having reviews are nice but for someone to say they thing this one is a bit better for this situation helps a lot.

If I was buying IEMs with a mic/remote as a priority right now, I'd probably spend my money on the Thinksound TS02+mic's.

I've liked the NuForce NE-7M's but agree with his statements about their high degree of coloration now that I've got a little more IEM experience, and they fail in your desire for "clear and crisp highs to really hear the melodies."  That said, the comprehensive and consistent sets of reviews offered by joker and ClieOS are considered as the best sources of information around head-fi.

Oct 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM Post #15 of 15
I JUST got the Etymotic Research mc3 headset and once I switched over to the Comply Tx-100 ear tips , it is now my favorite IEM. 
happy_face1.gif
Sure, the bass is not as strong as the Klipsch Image S4i, but it is very clear and "tight," unlike the somewhat overemphasized and slightly muddy bass of the Image S4i. And midrange and treble are natural-sounding and clear, too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back