ASL MG DT/OTL vs. Grado RA-1 with Grado
Dec 13, 2002 at 4:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

TKSingh

Head-Fier
Hi All,
Brand new to this hobby !
1 week ago, did not realize headphone amps existed !

I have now been looking at getting Grado 125, or 325, or maybe the RS-1.

For amps, the RA-1, or the ASL tube amp, maybe a META 42 (a little uncomfortable with no manufacturer's warranty).

My budget is limited by my ability to rationalize this ! Originally it was $150 for a good set of headphones, then 400-500 once I realized thjis amp business, now who knows!

I like rock, some classical and occasional TV/DVD watching.(new baby girl)

What combo would you recommend for sound and bang for buck.

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:13 AM Post #2 of 14
Nice "expanding" budget. I wish my wallet did the same.
biggrin.gif

Recommendation: Grado with Grado.

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:23 AM Post #3 of 14
I would actually take a look at some of the sennheiser line. The Sennheiser HD-600's are known as reference headphones for most companies making headphones these days. You can pick them up for 239 on ebay.

I would reccomend matching those up with the antique sound labs tube head. I havent tested any grados so i cant say anything good nor bad about them. But i have tested many sony headphones and koss headphones, the hd-600's are in a whole other league. I have yet to come accross a pair that even comes close to the "special" type of sound they put out.

The hd-600 is a tweaked version of the hd-580. Which you can get for substaincially less. If you need the cash, id settle for hd-580's.

From what ive read.. most of the grado line headphones are like being on stage with the band and sennheiser 580/600 are like being in the audience.

Ive also read that the grados can be uncomfortable for some. The hd600s are not so, dont see how they could be called unfomortable by anyone, Expect for the fact that they are tight for big heads, which can be fixed with keeping it on a glass head stand from pier one imports
smily_headphones1.gif
(nice run-on eh).

The hd590's have some substancial flaws. Only plus ive heard about them over the hd580/600 is that they are actually more comfortable (didnt know it was possible).

Good luck on your search. Just wanted to fill you in so you dont skip over the infamous sennheiser line.
-Nef

Dec 13, 2002 at 4:35 AM Post #4 of 14
Grado and Mg Head don't mesh well. On the other hand, HD600 and Mg Head are a fantastic combo. I'm not sure how well they do with rock though. I thought the MG Head was a little sluggish.

Dec 13, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #5 of 14
RA-1 + RS-1 = musical bliss. You can't go wrong.

RA-1 with any Grado is a good bet. And the RA-1 runs on batteries which mean dead quiet power. That is a must with Grados.

Dec 13, 2002 at 1:30 PM Post #6 of 14
I recently did some listening to the RA-1 and Corda HA-1 with the RS-1 and HD-600 headphones. I surprised myself by liking the HD-600/RA-1 combo better than the RS-1/RA-1 combo. (HD-600 has Cardas cable). I'm not sure what was going on, but it sounded good!

Dec 13, 2002 at 9:06 PM Post #7 of 14
Thanks for the input, alas it looks like I missed the window for the RS-1 (good deal, used).

I like the idea of the ASL as it seems like a fun thing to experiment with tubes. Any other thoughts on Grado and MG? Or is it a no brainer to go with Senn with this?

I must admit I heard the Grado 125's with this MG amp and it sounded great, and loud at about 40% volume !

It worries me that the Senn's have a bad rap with rock and that the cables need upgrading etc...

Cheers
Ken

Dec 13, 2002 at 9:36 PM Post #8 of 14
Senns doesn't have a "bad rap with rock". Some people just prefer grado for that application. Most of those who owns senn really do enjoy them with rock, including myself. The cable does not need to be upgraded. It's available if you want it. I'm sure if there was an upgrade cable for grado, a few of us would get it also.

Dec 14, 2002 at 5:33 AM Post #10 of 14
I know it takes time to get some more opinions, but I am going to pull the trigger tomorrow.

Does anyone else out there have say a Grado(125, 225, 325) with the MG head ? Or have listened to this combo for a bit?

I am asking only because the RA-1 seems a bit overpriced for what you get?!? The ASL seems like a bargain for tubes !

thx again
'Ken

Dec 14, 2002 at 5:40 AM Post #11 of 14
Grado with the Head are not the best match. The RS-2/RA-1 set up I had was very,very well matched. IF you go for the Head get HD600's. If you go for the Grado package contact Deibel Audio for a package price. Maybe Tuberoller could help you contact them..He is a great resource.

Dec 14, 2002 at 1:09 PM Post #14 of 14
All I know is that if you want to use the Grado with the MG Head, you'll have to use the transformer output. People praise its OTL output a lot but you basically can't use it with the Grados... (because of low impedance)

Although I quite like my etymotics ER4P (even lower impedance and more sensitive) out of the transformer out of the MG Head, except for a ground hum that I haven't managed to get rid of yet :p

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back