Ask the user above anything about his gear.
Jan 19, 2011 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 91

JamesMcProgger

Headphoneus Supremus
 ​
Ask the user above anything about his gear
(headphones, IEMs, DAPs, DACs, AMPs .... whatever he shows off in his signature or his profile page)

question.jpg
 ​
 ​

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:36 AM Post #4 of 91
why do you have software listed under gear? 
what's up with the snake oil?

you have only one HP and one iem? how long does it took you to settle down with those? (how long did the search for nirvana last?)

Jan 19, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #6 of 91
I have software listed under my profile because I love it more than my high fidelity audio components.

It took me years to finally decide upon my headphone and earphone. I only need one of each.

Tweaks are mostly snake oil in my experience and opinion. Designer cables are an example of snake oil. I have top of the line and custom cabling for my audio system and I can not tell the difference between stock cords and my designer cables in terms of sonic differences. I have excellent hearing and years of experience writing about high end audio as an amateur. Do a search for my previously published reviews about my audio gear.

Anything else?

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 91

ABut there's no gear in my sig. :D

Feel free to ask anything. :)

: D...... How would you say the grado hf2 compares to the hp2. Also, out of your amps, which would you say pairs best with your hf2?

I'm also up for questions

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #9 of 91

Quote:

: D...... How would you say the grado hf2 compares to the hp2. Also, out of your amps, which would you say pairs best with your hf2?I'm also up for questions

So as a Grado sort of guy, what would you recommend as the next step up for someone who owns and loves her SR80. This is the old one, no i.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #11 of 91
@ rroseperry
Hmmm, the hf2 is the only grado I've tried/owned, but from what I've heard, the sr225 and sr80 are pretty close in sound signature, so I'd definitely look into that. The rs2 is also supposed to be pretty close to the sr80, if you're looking to spend that much.

Jan 19, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 91

Quote:
@ rroseperry
Hmmm, the hf2 is the only grado I've tried/owned, but from what I've heard, the sr225 and sr80 are pretty close in sound signature, so I'd definitely look into that. The rs2 is also supposed to be pretty close to the sr80, if you're looking to spend that much.

Thanks, I hope I'll get a chance to listen to some at the upcoming meet.

I'm open to questions but as a noob, well . . .

Jan 19, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #13 of 91
I owned the Grado SR-80i headphones and they do not sound close to the Grado RS-2i at all. The Grado RS-2i sound much smoother overall with greater midrange warmth and clarity along with a crisper and unfortunately brighter treble region. The RS-2i also have deeper and tighter bass whereas the Grado SR-80i has greater bass slam and energy that muffles out the midrange and trebles.

You have to audition them side by side to notice the differences, but most people wind up choosing the RS-2i until they find out the price difference.

Jan 19, 2011 at 3:01 AM Post #14 of 91
I owned the Grado RS-1 years ago. It was one of the best headphones that I have ever heard until I heard my Audio Technica ATH-W5000 "Raffinato" headphones. These are totally different sounding headphones with different presentations. I would say the Grado RS-1 is best suited for more so rock, jazz, acoustic, rap, hip hop, blues, and popular music while the Raffinato sound best for classical and opera and female vocalists.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back